Find
Notify
Tools

Historical Scope Mount question
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
I was just going through some very old magazines at a garage sale and I found a picture of a man with a hunting rifle, I am pretty sure in the late 30's. This scope was mounted differently than those today. We use solid rings. This scope sat in a little framework, it seemed to have some springs inside a large outer circle which served to hold the scope, and also what appeared to be some thumbwheels. It did not look too sturdy or rugged, but I was just wondering what the technical name for such a device was. Also why was it used? Maybe the older scoped did not have the elevation or windage adjustments that they do today? I have never seen one of these mounts for sale. Are they worth money?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The old telescopic sights were simple tubes fitted with magnifying glass (or no glass) and a crosshair, there was no provision for sighting adjustment in the scope. The mount is where any adjustments were made, typically with 3 thumbscrews on each of the two rings. A screw is located every 120� in the ring and is adjusted in concert with both rings until the desired point of impact is acheived.
This adjustment system is still in common use in astronomy.
I don't have a clue about values.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many target and varmint shooters still use the Unertl scopes and mounting system. If you don't think so, just watch their prices when they come up on an auction site.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Schmidt Bender or Bosh and Lomb mount. The scopes back then often used the base for elevation and windage adjustments. There were none in the scope.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote