Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted

Posts: 39663 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

What would be a fair price for that wood?

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dumbasses have alot of money to waste.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
I've seen some blanks of questionable value bring good money on ebay, but what particularly merits the stunned reaction on this blank?

$168 for that blank doesn't seem completely out of whack with what's available from other sources on the Internet.

Pretty good layout through wrist and down toe line. Grain appears to run favorably for a stable forearm.

What am I missing?

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes two of us. I agree with GrandView. a couple of hundred bucks seems fair for a piece of wood like that. Perhaps one of the custom makers would care to comment? customstox?

Doug

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Seems like a decent stick of wood for the price.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bill,
i know the folks selling it. They usually get 50-120 bucks for their wood..

It's a decent piece of wood, that should be nice for 50-75 bucks...

pushing 200, you can get a decent piece of english.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
He has had 580 satisfied customers, with perfect feedback. They seem satisfied with what they're getting.

Wayne

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking for a synthetic forearm for an Encore the other day and saw one on Ebay that was going for $34.00 plus shipping. They are 25.00 plus shipping from Midway. Same scenario for several Rifle Basix triggers to fit a Savage. I guess some people figure that if its on Ebay then it must be a good deal. Sorry for the derail. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
not a bad blank, I don't think the guy that got it paid all that to much for it. I would rate it as 150 dollar blank. Now it didnt do anything for me, might even be on the thin side, I didnt pay any attention to how thick it was. I've seen worse go for more.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen that many English walnut blanks with that good of quarter sawn layout for less than $200.00. I would guess from the description it is probably a very dense blank also. I won't say the buyer stole it by any means, but I'd say he got his moneys worth. I'd buy half a dozen blanks as good as this one for $75.00 apiece and more yet at $50.00 each.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
The value of an item is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ebay-ers really have too much money.

Case in point:
A carbide tool sharpening wheel from harbor freight which I was having DELIVERED for $129.99
from Harbor Freight went for $270 plus shipping and the arbors were burned out or damaged and the wheels were well worn and glazed.

But on the other side of that, I just sold a Harley Davidson shirt pin which I got free from the SHOT Show 2 years ago for $17.00

-Spencer

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
170 bucks for a "fancy" stock, with no dark figure (i hate that) and all mineral streaking/fiddleback...

it's worth about 50-75 bucks to me, max....

but, then again, to each their own

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
I will take all the blanks he has like this for $50 to $75. Wood does not have to be dark and have mineral streaking to bring a good price. I am not a big fan of that wood but a lot of people are. It has nice basketweave fiddle and that will bring good money every time. I often buy wood to satisfy my own personal desires but I have learned what sells to the general public along the way too. My wood pile often has more of "my" wood but the other is still good wood. Value is not in what I like, it is in what sells.

I did see in the ad where they said the blank was genetically the same as Claro. Wonder if he got that clueless info from Peter B (then it might be Peter). Claro is a totally different tree from American black.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Chic,
i'd be MORE than happy to turn that blank... it just wouldn't be MY blank or MY gun...

then again, my tastes run to quatersawn stump!!

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was recently reading about walnut wood and, obviously, walnuts and was surprised to learn that China leads the world in Walnut production, closely followed by the US. Hmmmmmm........wonder if they have to thin those old trees ever now and then? Cool

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
The value of an item is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it.

I agree. Ive seen many auctions where the item sold at a price higher than you could buy it at the store. There may be reasons they we don;t know about such as not available in there area and so forth. Also the bidder could just be a idiot (J/K joke.)

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dumb eBay question:

Why did 375-06 have several bids in a row where he only outbid his own previous bid? I've seen several bid histories on eBay like this.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
HC,
it's the autobid thing... if someone else plinked at the bid, it would show his incrementing

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ebay's auto bid will not do that. It will raise your bid to beat the guy but will not show the progression. That guy was placing individual bids on the dates shown and bumping each one by $5 or so to try to catch the winner. All he suceeded in doing was to raise the ending bid.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Robert at WATTS WALNUT has always treated me well.
He's a good man! His stocks are resonable!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I was recently reading about walnut wood and, obviously, walnuts and was surprised to learn that China leads the world in Walnut production, closely followed by the US. Hmmmmmm........wonder if they have to thin those old trees ever now and then? Cool

The other day while visiting Home Depot, I saw a workbench kit there for about $100.00. It was, of course, "made in China" - and was made of solid Chinese Walnut. The top was over 2" thick, and the entire structure was solid wood - all walnut. Figure was not too bad, but it is very porous, and a little on the soft side. I guess it grows fast in a wet climate there.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the rest of you but thats TOP doller for a so so piece of lumber.

And 150.00 will net you a FAR better stock than
that

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Hi all,
Am I missing something in this picture? One side would rate 3x on a good day and the other would rate fancy. In order for me to pay that kind of money for a piece of wood it has to show me something on both sides. Oh well "WE PAY"S OUR MONEY" AND WE TAKES OUR CHOICE" Take care and God bless.

cordell

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
That blank got it's 19 bids from grain structure. Which is a much better indicator of value than figure or color.

As Chic mentioned previously, the description is confusing......it's likely a Claro blank, but the layout and grain structure is very good. Angled quarter sawn through butt, and perfect quarter sawn through the forearm. It should be a very stable piece of wood for a stock. That trumps all the color and figure that might be missing.

Difficult to assess from the description or pictures, but if it's also a fairly dense close-grained blank.......it's definitely worth the price.

Here's a comparable blank from Dressels. No pictures of the ends to see how "true" the quarter sawn grain runs, but the same difference exists between sides.....and about the same color and figure This blank is $225 from Dressels.

http://www.dressels.com/stock_blanks/bkr%202-53.jpg

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote