Notify
Tools

I think I know but will ask 9x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted
Can a 9.x57 become a 9.3x62?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Can a 9.x57 become a 9.3x62?

I believe a lot of Husky x57s that came in through Simpson’s have been reamed out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you asking if a 9.0x57 can become a 9.3x62, or are you asking if a 9.3x57 can become a 9.3x62?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
9x57 is .355
9.3 is .366?

Will 11 thou rebore clean up the rifling?

I'm in the same boat, shot out barrel on a 9x57.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
9x57 to 9.3x62 sorry for any confusion

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Was ass/U/ming the 9.3 x 57

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
with enough treasure, time, and talent, all things are possible - it would require a rebore or rebarrel, as other have stated, and as long as it's "standard" length, that can happen ..

as far as know there isn't, directly, a 9x63, though the 35 whelen is pretty darn close, which is somewhat of a simpler project

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
That answer to either is yes, assuming the reamer cleans up the existing chamber.

Several 9,3x57's sent to me for rechambering had chamber necks that were larger than what the reamer cuts. The result would have been a neck with an unwanted step in it. Always chamber cast first.

Funny story, I once bought a rifle advertised as a 9,3x57. It came with a box of Norma 9,3x57 ammo. Half of which had been fired and the fired cases were in the box. I got it home, went to clean the bore and my 9,3 jag would not start. Busted out the pin gages and found the bore quire undersized. I slugged it and did a camber cast only to find, the rifle started life as a 9x57 that had simply been reamed with a 9,3x57 reamer. The neck was appropriate for a 9,3x57 cartridge. Sure enough, they'd fired a .365" projectile down a .356" groove barrel.

I simply rechambered to .35 Whelen.

Given that the 9,3x62 is loaded to higher pressures than the 57, I'd not recommend rechambering a 9x57 with a 9,3x62 chamber reamer.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Germans believed that tight bores were more accurate. I haven't had time to write up something about it, but Jon Speed sent me some original Mauser documents testing both bore diameter and the correlation of accuracy and pressure, along with a document regarding tapered bores. Interesting stuff!

z1r, I had the exact opposite experience. I bought a 9x57 from an auction house, and when it came in I was quite pissed to find it had been fiddle with. Someone had done a bunch of "accuracy" improvements to a classic rifle. What they were too ignorant to understand, was that they were shooting a 9mm bullet down a bore indented for 9.3.

And... final story on the topic. I have a beautiful Haenel commercial 88 that I bought years ago from a wonderful man, now deceased. If you slug the bore, you would think it was a 9.3, but after a significant amount of research and correspondence, and carefully measuring a few original cartridges, the bullets are indeed .375. The cartridge is a very rare DWM "9.4x56". It's a cute, light, thumper with a heck of a whollop.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If its a 98 Mauser, not a 95 or 96 IMO,

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
with enough treasure, time, and talent, all things are possible - it would require a rebore or rebarrel, as other have stated, and as long as it's "standard" length, that can happen ..

as far as know there isn't, directly, a 9x63, though the 35 whelen is pretty darn close, which is somewhat of a simpler project

I Believe RWS developed a 9x63, or something very similar, based on the 9.3x62 case back in the 1930’s, but very few rifles were ever made.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote