Find
Notify
Tools

H&R Ultra-Comp 300 H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Okay, it was offered to me recently, but I do not want another 30-06 nor a discussion on why a 30-06 is just as good as the 300 H&H...LOL

Instead, can on of these H&R Ultras be rechambered from 30-06 to 300H&H?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You probably could, and only use low pressure loads, so there'd be no point. A Handi can take a lot, but not 300 H&H pressures.

Albatross.

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I figured it handled the 500 S&W Mag and the 450 Marlin, so????

I am only looking at factory levels////

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Albatross:
You probably could, and only use low pressure loads, so there'd be no point. A Handi can take a lot, but not 300 H&H pressures.

Albatross.

Yes, you can. The hh is a moderate pressure round.
The ULTRA is the high pressure action, higher pressure than the rifle, and the rifle is higher pressure than the shotgun actions. Per HR

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeff...

Not sure I will do it, but love the old cartridge and it would be a cheap way to have one in a backpack hunt.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
It would work and be just fine. Full house loads would work as well.
If it was designed to handle modern 30-06 it can handle any 300H&H

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
333 OKH

I have a Ruger #1 in 300H&H that I would sell you for about what it would cost you to buy that H&H and have it converted.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You probably could, and only use low pressure loads, so there'd be no point. A Handi can take a lot, but not 300 H&H pressures

Confused The Ultra is chambered for the 25-06 which is 65,000+ compared to the 62,000 for the H&H. However I have no clue if the the extra 2000lbs of bolt thrust would be an issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
You probably could, and only use low pressure loads, so there'd be no point. A Handi can take a lot, but not 300 H&H pressures

Confused The Ultra is chambered for the 25-06 which is 65,000+ compared to the 62,000 for the H&H. However I have no clue if the the extra 2000psi of bolt thrust would be an issue.

There's no bolt, so probably not.

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's no bolt, so probably not

Excuse me. I know there is no bolt. So the "CASE HEAD THRUST" will increase 2000lbs or around 20%

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and no. It will work for a while. The hinge pin will deflect and the notch in the barrel lug will beat out and need to be shimmed on a regular basis.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
There's no bolt, so probably not

Excuse me. I know there is no bolt. So the "CASE HEAD THRUST" will increase 2000psi or around 20%

How do you figure that ..??

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
pressure*surface area ... its still bolt thrust .. call it back thrust if you like

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
pressure*surface area ... its still bolt thrust .. call it back thrust if you like

My mistake for the confusion I called it psi my fingers out ran my old brain. Should have been a simple 2000lbs or 20%

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, the Handi can handle some stiff loads. I have a BC in 45/70 [I stick to trapdoor data as it's plenty accurate]. I've read mostly to stick to low-middling loads, and if you need to go big, buy a 458 mag in another configuration.
BUT, 300H&H data seems to run mid-high 50,000s CUP with a .532" dia cartridge base [45/70 = .608]. 458 mag is in low 50,000s with same base dia as the 300H&H. The 300H&H also has a lot of taper, compared to the 45/70, or 458 mag. I don't know for sure if the taper would make much difference, but the .256 Win and .22 Rem Jet displayed ++setback in revolvers. Wouldn't this also be a problem in a Handi, and direct more thrust rearward? I don't know the answer to this, just bringing up something to consider.

Albatross

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if the taper would make much difference

None at all. Look at what stops the cartridge case from moving along the bore axis and calc that. The shortcoming of most break open actions is the closing/locking mechanism. There's usually a spring involved somewhere and the resulting compression or lack therof is a potential problem.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Albatross:
Fair enough, the Handi can handle some stiff loads. I have a BC in 45/70 [I stick to trapdoor data as it's plenty accurate]. I've read mostly to stick to low-middling loads, and if you need to go big, buy a 458 mag in another configuration.
BUT, 300H&H data seems to run mid-high 50,000s CUP with a .532" dia cartridge base [45/70 = .608]. 458 mag is in low 50,000s with same base dia as the 300H&H. The 300H&H also has a lot of taper, compared to the 45/70, or 458 mag. I don't know for sure if the taper would make much difference, Albatross

sir.. the 458 winmag and the 300 HH are loaded to the same pressures ..with the same casehead diameter ...55k cup is about 62,500 psi ...

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moorepower:
Yes and no. It will work for a while. The hinge pin will deflect and the notch in the barrel lug will beat out and need to be shimmed on a regular basis.

Horsefeathers!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3291 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
quote:
Originally posted by Moorepower:

Horsefeathers!

+1

If by regular you mean every 10 to 12 thousand rounds. Maybe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone years ago on the Graybeard Handi forum had made a 300 Win Mag on a Handi, and it stretched or loosened or something, within a very few rounds.

I looked at the current Handi and Ultra offerings, there are no 7 mag, 300 mag, weatherby mags. Yes, there is a 500 S&W, but Hodgdon lists loads peaking at 52,000 PSI. I have never heard of 62,000 psi 45-70 loads, but I don't have one, so I don't know.

I have a Handi Rifle, with barrels in 243 and 44 mag. Even after a trip back to the factory, the 243 gave vertical strings of 12 inches, and occasionally opened the action on firing. I sold that barrel and bought a used 243 barrel. It shoots under 3 inches at 100 yards, if I stick with starting loads. This cheap gun has been very expensive, since it can't do the job I bought it for, not to mention the wasted time and components.

With the 44 mag barrel it is a pretty decent shooter, but it kicks too much for my wife and daughter.

Don't waste your money on the Ultra. Maybe find a Model 1917 sporter to rechamber to 300 H&H? I know Savage has actions long enough, and they have offered a 375. Savage it twice the rifle as the H&R.

My opinions only.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a quote from the Graybeard Handi forum, about a 300 WSM rechamber. I don't know what WSM pressures are, so it might not be apropos.

"You can probably find a gunsmith who would...but..the Handi won't handle it..and you'll peen the under lug or stretch the frame..Sorry..I don't think you'll find anyone who recommends it...I certainly don't..and I bought the original 300 WSM barrel that has been talked about before..After 3 factory loads...and 100 mid-range reloads..it no longer fit Handi35's frame...It looks like it enlarged the underlug somewhat..and will take about .010" feel gauge to match it to any of my frames...My advise is to look to another venue for a 300 Win mag...I hear the Remington Sendaro's are absolutely awesome in this caliber... Wink

Mac"

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Maybe I just need the Ruger #1 after all

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe I just need the Ruger #1 after all

Then buy that one JBrown has on sale in the classified. Cherry wood great price.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K