THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

do you think this p-64 70 is original ?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't know if this will work or not, but check out this link below.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemn...20RESERVE!!!%20#264m

I just can't believe that this is an original barrel. Have any of you guys ever seen a p-64 in .338 with a stainless barrel from the factory?

Thought it was very interesting.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel looks to be original, the finish isn't. Many Model 70s in 220 Swift, 300H&H and 264 had stainless barrels. I've never seen one in 338 but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The rifle looks to have been glass beaded and blued. The front sight ramp is the tip off as it would have been polished. The action finish doesn't look quite right either although it's hard to tell from the photo. I can imagine the suprised look on the face of the fellow that pulled it from the blue tank. I imagine he said something along the lines of "oh my gosh!" or maybe something stronger.

I'd call the present condition "a shooter". It should go for more than the $500+ currently bid on it even in the current condition.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hmm, if it was one of those "blued stainless" things, it could have been.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
that barrel & receiver have been bead blasted for sure & the stock has been refinished, not to mention the recoil pad.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it looks to be an original M70 barrel. This was iron plated at the factory and then blued. I don't know how surprised this guy was when he fished the barrel out of the hot tank and found it silver. BUT-I do lnow what I thought 4 weeks ago when I was rust bluing a .264 pre-64 and could only get rust to bite on the front sight ramp. I remember what I said too, but I am not going to print it here in a public forum!!!

I wound up sending the barrel to Mac's on the reccomendation of several folks on the board.

FWIW-if the guy with the auction did not polish the barrel much, I think he could have gotten it to blue. On the .264 I am restoring, there were some palces where enough iron remained on the SS barrel to take a light rust bite. But unfortunately I was trying to get all of the tooling marks out of the barrel and polished off 90+% of the iron. IHad I known it was a plated SS barrel, I would just have blues it and left the tooling marks. Oh well, found aout a little too late. I knew .220 Swifts were SS, but only after screwing up this barrel did I learn that some magnums were SS as well.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For $520 id like to have it. Put a decelorator(sp? cant spell today) pad on it.

Bet the bidding will go way higher at the end of the auction.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It could be one of the blued stainless barrels that has been refinished, and Marc, a bunch of the .264's had them just like the Swifts. I would say if this guy thinks this is the original finish on the stock, he hasn't a lot of the experience, as it is very obviously refinished and not particularly well. Would make a good shooter. I'd like to be able to see a closeup of the barrel markings, and I think I could identify it as factory or not.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a repair to the stock just in front of the recoil pad on left side? Looks like the belt sander got away from someone and they filled the hole with wood putty. Or are my glasses dirty? thumbdown

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
Is there a repair to the stock just in front of the recoil pad on left side? Looks like the belt sander got away from someone and they filled the hole with wood putty. Or are my glasses dirty? thumbdown

No, just camera flare.

Look at the pictures near the bottom of the bunch. There's one with a small "smudge" like you're talking about, right about where the stock steps up near the front of the action. Then look at the next picture. That "smudge" now is is almost the same place, but goes all the way forward to the checkering.

However, I *do* believe that the stock has been refinished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought standard weight pre-64 barrels had integral ramps. On a stainless barrel an integral ramp would be stainless and wouldn't blue. Obviously, from the picture, my assumption about integral ramps on pre 64's is wrong. Does anybody know what year or the serial number when integral ramps were discontinued.
thanks

Posts: 41 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the .264 I just tried to rust blue had a carbon steel ramp on a stainless barrel. The ramp blued up quite nicely with Gun-Goddess. I had traces of the iron that I had not polshed off the barrel taking a rust bite too, but it was very light. These places where iron remained were spots where the tooling marks were very light and I did not have to do as much polishing. As for year when this happened, all I know is the .264 in my shop is serial # 471572.

The Winchester pre-64 action and other fittings has a very nice color with Gun-Goddess. Wish they all came out like that.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
didnt the 338 have a 25" bbl,the stock is cut,no sling swivels.$550 tops.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yellowdog1:
I thought standard weight pre-64 barrels had integral ramps. On a stainless barrel an integral ramp would be stainless and wouldn't blue. Obviously, from the picture, my assumption about integral ramps on pre 64's is wrong. Does anybody know what year or the serial number when integral ramps were discontinued.

thanks

Winchester quit manufacturing the integral ramp barrels in '52. But an exact serial cutoff is anyone's guess as they still had quite a few integral ramp barrels around that as far as I can tell were used all the way up through the serial range of about 380,000. No Winchester short mag barrel from the factory would have had an integral ramp. I've never seen or heard of a .338 Alaskan with the stainless barrel. Mine certainly don't have it, but that certainly doesn't mean Winchester didn't turn a few out for special order. The rear sight is wrong for that rifle too.

I'd like to see that barrel up close to get a better look at the markings on it. Otherwise it's hard to say anything for certain.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Winchester quit manufacturing the integral ramp barrels in '52. But an exact serial cutoff is anyone's guess as they still had quite a few integral ramp barrels around that as far as I can tell were used all the way up through the serial range of about 380,000....

They were used for factory re-barrels much later than that. The Custom Gun Shop in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, used to send in used Model 70's which it acquired, to have Winchester rebarrel them, with the instructions to "just barrel them to whatever is laying around." They did this through at least 1973 when I first left Alberta and moved to Saskatchewan.

Anyway, the barreled actions came back in every sort of chambering, almost all being the original integral front-sight type barrels, in .300 Savage, .220 Swift, .257 Roberts, etc., etc. From what we were told, those barrels were sitting around Winchester in wooden kegs, not necessarlly orted by caliber at that late date (the pre-'64 had been discontinued 9 years earlier), and were just used for warranty and other factory-repair requests.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote