THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Blackburn Oberndorf Magnum bottom metal and FZH actions?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackburn Oberndorf Magnum bottom metal and FZH actions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Blackburn Oberndorf magnum mauser 416 Rigby bottom metal that didn't work out for a project. Does anyone with experience with FZH magnum mauser actions know if the Blackburn bottom metal will work with FZH. Roger Green tells me it will not work. Do FZH magnum mauser actions have differnt hole spacing or other critical dimention specs that are different from Pre-war Oberndorf magnum actions, or is my Blackburn magnum 416 Rigby bottom metal not realy built to Oberndorf specs? Thanks for any info.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ColoradoMatt:
or is my Blackburn bottom metal not realy built to Oberndorf specs?
Matt

Hartmann&Weiss set out over 35 yrs. ago, to successfully recreate a new manufacture action based
on the orig. Oberndorf magnum mauser action blueprints.
They also had Ted Blackburn produce & supply the corresponding bottom metal.
I believe TB then made both reg. and 'large bow' Oberndorf styles.

Yet Ive only ever seen the large bow version on H&W produced magnum mauser rifles.
However, shops like Echols & Co. when using a H&W action use an improved geometries and metallurgy version,
that Echols & Co. have developed and had separately manufactured to required spec.

I know that an FZH std length action will accept an orig. Oberndorf std98 bottom metal unit.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Matt,
there are at least 2, if not 5, "magnum" length mauser actions

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=971105007#971105007

what will partially drive this is if the screw spacing is the same -- and then there's other geometries to deal with ...

i would ask FZH on their specs

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The FZH guard screw hole spacing is identical to the original 98. I have a Left Handed action in my shop currently. I'll use some Duct tape, fencing wire and a hammer to get one of my magazines to fit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt
I modified that Wisner 98 Magnum 416 Rigby Magazine assembly to fit a Burgess 3UE Enfield 416 Rigby not to many months ago and it worked great. I had to have a little creative welding done by Steve Heilmann and reposition the front guard screw hole but why I used the Wisner was the position of the magazine box opening in both length and width matched seamlessly with the underside of the 3UE action. The bow was also in the correct location as well as was the trigger slot and where the trigger lever was positioned in the bow. The only thing I needed to do was extend the guard screw hole distance. The Wisner Magazine assembly was excellent in every respect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darcy,
I am very glad to hear that the Wisner unit was put to good use. Jim's bottom metal were beautifuly made. Thanks for your comments. Having examined a Blackburn Rigby unit, can you speculate why it might not work on the FZH magnum actions? Thanks.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Called Swift/Blackburn today. The fellow I spoke with had never heard of FZH. However, he was very insistent that my Blackburn unit would work if the hole spacing is correct.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
If they have never heard of it, then they can't be certain .. if you bought a magnum mauser bottom metal, it likely won't fit a zastava 375 hh ... the screws are different and there are a couple other geometries that won't line up ...

sigh "i don't know if it will fit, and since I don't know, i won't say it will/should"

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
If they have never heard of it, then they can't be certain .. if you bought a magnum mauser bottom metal, it likely won't fit a zastava 375 hh ... the screws are different and there are a couple other geometries that won't line up ...

sigh "i don't know if it will fit, and since I don't know, i won't say it will/should"

That's pretty much the argument that I had with the guy. It made no sense to me for him to just say that it "should" work. What I really wanted him to say was something like, "Let me do some investigating, and get back to you on that." Does that sound reasonable? He also mentioned that he sells bottom metals to Hartman ans Weiss. What is ironic, to me, about that is I've been told that FZH currently makes H&W's actions for them to H&W's specs. Go figure. Looks like I might just try to contact FZH directly to hear it from the horses mouth. However, I recently tried emailing them about another matter, and they did not understand what I was talking about. I do not speak German, or the Queen's English, for that matter, so I'm no holding my breat for a solid answer.
Matt

Matt
FISH!!