Find
Notify
Tools

2.8 rounds down
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted
I can get 3 down on my 404J model 98 but can't close the action on three. Is there a way to shim it a bit so I can close the bolt? If I go with new bottom metal I will need a new stock right. Or can I get a new bottom that holds three and fits the original stock. It has an original floor plate that is a pain to use, like the military ones. Any ideas. Thanks

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
call the makers and ask them.. generally, if yo are that close, and if the stack isn't RIGHT, then a new bottlemetal, follower, and spring, MIGHT help

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easiest fix would be to modify or replace the follower, provided it is the shape of the follower that is taking up too much room. Look it over to see if it is bottoming out sooner than necessary; more likley, its contours on top are designed for more slender cartridges and by recontouring it all three rounds will fit.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
I can't ask the maker as it was in germany in the mid 80's. Frankonia I think. I think a follower is in order. Is that something I can buy or are they all modified. The one in the action looks like one for a 8x57.

WOODY

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a couple suggestions: Take off the floor plate and assemble the spring and follwer to the floor plate.

Now, collapse the spring and see if there is room to remove some metal from either the bottom of the floor plate or inside the follower.

The "loops" where the spring does a 360 are probably getting in the way of taking full magazine depth capacity.

If the side walls are thick enough, maybe you can mill from the rear forward to the shoulder junction.

Of course, there will have to be some rail work, but this too, will add dimension.

From here on, things get more complicated, but I'll bet the room will be found for that "little bit extra"

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Thanks for the input. I will check it out and see. The rails do need work and I was wondering about what you describe but did not know if it would work.

WOODY

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I don't know what "breed" of 98 you have or what type of floorplate it is (1909?) but, I know Jim Wisner makes an extended floorplate for the 1909 that will solve the room problem but not the feeding.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
How do I get ahold of Jim?

WOODY

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote