New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will JB Weld hold on a bolt handle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Don't wanna say how, but just say that due to my idiocy, I busted the bolt handle off of my bolt for a Cooper 204 Ruger. Will take a while to get properly repaired or a new bolt, just wondering, I have about 3/8" to 1/2" of bearing surface on what remains of the bolt handle, if I JB Weld it on there will it hold for a while--300 rounds or so?

I have torches and soldering irons, but I don't know if I am competent to silver solder it on there, have only done smallish things with Silver Solder previously.

I am however capable of breaking an Anvil--or at least geeking it up a good bit... Frowner

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stuff is pretty strong. I have used it but never on a bolt handle. I'd try it and see how long it holds up. I'd guess if it's gonna let loose it'll be before 300 rounds. Let us know how it works (or doesn't).

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waste of time. Get Dan at www.accu-tig.com to fix it for you.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it'll fall off first shot

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Fish
If you do not feel 100% comfortable fixing it, DONT! Take it to someone who can weld it properly. There is probably a decent TIG welder in your area. Make a few phone calls.
h2o

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, that's the intel I was looking for. I'll ask around for a few contacts on welding locally tomorrow, or I'll send it to Dan at Accu-Tig---like the name of his company.

Is silver soldering actually used holding any gun parts together, I could of sworn I heard of people silver soldering the Rem QD bolts back on???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can a Cooper bolt handle break? What is it made out of? What does it look like?

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Fish
Yup, silver solder is used on a lot of firearms. It does work very well for bolt handles. However it is not as good as TIG welding. A good TIG welder can perform miracles.
h2o

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage, it can't. I'm an idiot......

I'll confess, put heat on the bolt itself, trying to bend it downward since it hit the ocular bell of the scope on the rifle--stupid design in my opinion, 3 lug bolt, and the 'up' position is higher than a 2 lug??? WTF--not the case on their repeater BTW

any way, put pressure on the bolt in an attempt to bend it down, and it popped about 3/4 of the base of the bolt where it is welded/soldered to the bolt body off. I sanded off the rest, and the bolt body is clean, and I have a bolt handle with about 50% of the orignal material left to weld (or whatever) back to the bolt body.

I've already written it down a 100 times for penance....I am an idiot, I am an idiot, I am an idiot homer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oboy:
Fish
Yup, silver solder is used on a lot of firearms. It does work very well for bolt handles. However it is not as good as TIG welding. A good TIG welder can perform miracles.
h2o

Thanks H2O, I guess I was typing my 'Idiocy Acknowledgement Post' when you posted, I will look into getting it welded!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish, I'm proud of you. We've all done stuff like that, but not many will admit it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Epoxy is good for 20kpsi in compression. The bond to steel is not worth a toot in tension.

If you are not pounding out stuck cases, Silver solder works.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
You can also drill and tap it to keep it together until you can get it fixed properly. Do a search on the forum here.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Savage, it can't. I'm an idiot......

I've already written it down a 100 times for penance....I am an idiot, I am an idiot, I am an idiot homer

Here's a few more. Sorry but you made me think of this:

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Touche' Mark, Touche'.

I guess you deserve some flames when you inappropriately use the flame (of a torch) Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
You can also drill and tap it to keep it together until you can get it fixed properly. Do a search on the forum here.
Now you are talkin - real GunSmiffin.

Drill that stub, tap it and just run a Bolt into it. Mark it, remove the Bolt from the Bolt Big Grin, bend the Bolt to any shape you desire and put the Bolt back in the Bolt.

You can use an Eye Bolt and have a right decent "feel" to it. Plus you could hang Fuzzy Dice through the Eye to give it a Retro look. animal

Maybe a GlasPack for the exhaust....
-----

Hey Fish, How were you supposed to mount the Scope? Higher? A lot Higher? Waaaay forward? Scout style?

As soon as the new Bolt arrives - if it were mine - I'd have some $$$HIGH$$$ Trade Bait ready to move out.

Best of luck with it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Now you are talkin - real GunSmiffin.

Hey Fish, How were you supposed to mount the Scope? Higher? A lot Higher? Waaaay forward? Scout style?

As soon as the new Bolt arrives - if it were mine - I'd have some $$$HIGH$$$ Trade Bait ready to move out.

Best of luck with it.

That may be the ultimate fate! I do like the eye bolt idea til I get a new bolt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fish, More important Red things are just around the corner. You need to get this rifle thing behind you so you are ready.

Seriously, how did they expect you to mount the Scope?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote