THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Does anyone duplicate a wood A-square triple coil stock?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone duplicate a wood A-square triple coil stock?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Don't hate me but; after a football, wrestling, power-lifting, and AIRBORNE stints I am 40 and my shoulders are close to done. I need something for my CZ 550 .505 Gibbs. While ugly A-square's triple coil stock might just be it. I know MPI offers a composite one but I like wood. Does anyone have a pattern? Tax return season is near, may as well do something lasting with it.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay trying again in case someone new sees this and knows who has a triple coil stock pattern. I had my second shoulder surgery a few months ago and think this may just be a necessity. I'd have MPI make one I just like wood stocks better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't bother with that stock design. Basically they just left a lot of wood in the stock. It ends up being a heavy stock with a fat recoil pad. NO real trick to it.

What you would probably do best with is a properly fit classic style fitted with 2 recoil reducers. Still on the heavy side, but the recoil reducers will do more than the coil check design.

Add a fat decelerator pad, and you will get as much recoil mitigation as you can with just a stock. Otherwise, you are into muzzle brake country.

Again, just my thoughts.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sure;;; just call the railyard and ask for a reject railroad tie...

worst
stock
ever

i'm closing in on 50, and the coilchunk stock isn't the answer.. a little cast off and proper LOP is a much better answer

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to your local lumber yard and pick up an old railroad tie. Perfect pattern for the A2 stock. I know, I'm no help at all.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, you just beat me to it. Great minds think alike.

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd also advocate a properly fit stock, and mercury reducers. I wouldn't do a classic stock; I'd do a stock that has some cast on and a comb that drops toward the action. That way, the stock doesn't hit you in the face. Having the stock relatively straight without a lot of drop makes the push straighter, without as much climb. The final thing I would do is increase the size of the buttplate, put on a good limbsaver as big as you can get.

I used those principles (except mercury reducers) to make the stock for my 458 mag, and it has 1/3 of the apparent recoil that my whitworth .458 did.

I added mercury reducers to the rifle I built for my son when he was 13 to shoot long range competitions. It really helped reduce the recoil.

Posts: 1116 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as I hate to say this, a muzzle brake might be a consideration for your condition and a rifle with as potent a kick as a 505 Gibbs.

I have a rifle that came with both a muzzle brake and a thread protector. I have used the muzzle brake just for comparison purposes. Even with the very moderate recoil of a 30-06, there is a noticeable difference in recoil when the muzzle brake is on the rifle.

As the others have pointed out, proper stock fit and the mercury recoil reducers will help greatly also.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by viperidae:
Don't hate me but; after a football, wrestling, power-lifting, and AIRBORNE stints I am 40 and my shoulders are close to done.
Very sorry to hear of your injuries. Many of us here have had similar "stints" and the breakdown of one or more body parts as a result.

I will take a different approach and suggest that shooting a .505 is going to just be another abusive "stint" to exacerbate the damage already caused and your shoulder be damned. If you keep this up one day you may have to settle for shooting nothing more powerful than a Ruger 10/22. Worse, you won't be able to lift your grand-kids.

You can install the biggest, heaviest, widest stock you can find but it won't prevent further shoulder damage. A heavy stock will lower recoil velocity and a wider stock will spread the recoil over a larger portion of your shoulder, but you cannot defeat Newton's third law of motion. All that energy will still be going into your shoulder.

You have already proven your masculinity through football, power-lifting, and as a paratrooper ( patriot ). Nobody will think you are a wuss if you now shoot something smaller, especially for the years it will take your shoulders to recover from the surgeries. Yes, it takes years for that sort of recovery and very few get back to where they were before.

So, with all do respect, and I honestly mean that, if you must shoot an African cartridge why not look to something along the lines of a nice, mid-velocity medium bore? Alternatively, if you must have a .500 then why not try to find a nice .500 BPE you can shoot nitro for black in or something similar?

Here's Huvius shooting his .500 BPE Henry double rifle at a 200 yard gong!

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
Originally posted by viperidae:
Don't hate me but; after a football, wrestling, power-lifting, and AIRBORNE stints I am 40 and my shoulders are close to done.
Very sorry to hear of your injuries. Many of us here have had similar "stints" and the breakdown of one or more body parts as a result.

I will take a different approach and suggest that shooting a .505 is going to just be another abusive "stint" to exacerbate the damage already caused and your shoulder be damned. If you keep this up one day you may have to settle for shooting nothing more powerful than a Ruger 10/22. Worse, you won't be able to lift your grand-kids.

You can install the biggest, heaviest, widest stock you can find but it won't prevent further shoulder damage. A heavy stock will lower recoil velocity and a wider stock will spread the recoil over a larger portion of your shoulder, but you cannot defeat Newton's third law of motion. All that energy will still be going into your shoulder.

You have already proven your masculinity through football, power-lifting, and as a paratrooper ( patriot ). Nobody will think you are a wuss if you now shoot something smaller, especially for the years it will take your shoulders to recover from the surgeries. Yes, it takes years for that sort of recovery and very few get back to where they were before.

So, with all do respect, and I honestly mean that, if you must shoot an African cartridge why not look to something along the lines of a nice, mid-velocity medium bore? Alternatively, if you must have a .500 then why not try to find a nice .500 BPE you can shoot nitro for black in or something similar?

Here's Huvius shooting his .500 BPE Henry double rifle at a 200 yard gong!

[FLASH_VIDEO]<embed wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid251.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fgg312%2FHuvius%2FMobile%2520Uploads%2F2015-08%2F4B298D3C-8F37-4B72-9F7B-47EA0AE1D89E.mp4&title=" height="361" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" width="600"></embed>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Thank you for your concern. I have actually had very good results with Trail Boss in other big bores and using it to essentially turn my rifle in a musket velocity .505 with cast bullets is my next project. At least I earned every bit of my shoulders. Smiler A lot of guys blow disks in their back or have knees that fall apart without any good bar stool stories to tell.

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Have you fired a rifle with a hydraulic recoil reducer?

http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com/

Posts: 7595 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
sure;;; just call the railyard and ask for a reject railroad tie...

worst
stock
ever

i'm closing in on 50, and the coilchunk stock isn't the answer.. a little cast off and proper LOP is a much better answer

Agreed!

I am sure it was not made for normal humans rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote