New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I know it's a Shilen?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got an unturned barrel blank supposed to be Shilen from a local custom gunshop.

It's chrome moly. There's some marks on one end of the barrel.

12 o'clock : 300
9 o'clock : C
3 o'clock : 308(bore)
6 o'clock : 12(twist)

And nothing else.

I remember seeing a photo of a barrel blank with "Shilen" and "XX"(grade) stamped, mine has got no "Shilen" stamped and it has 6 riflings. According to Brownell catalog, their contract barrel by Shilen has 8 riflings.

What am I getting?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
If its a Shilen it will say so. That XX would indicate to me that you you have a Douglas airgauged barrel. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No I don't have the xx barrel, I have seen a photo of a barrel blank with "shilen" and "xx" marked on it.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm going by memory here, but if I remember correctly, The base of the barrel (chamber end) has a Shilen stamp on it. The stamp is bigger that the barrel end though, so you can only see part of the word "Shilen" on it. It will have the contour# on it and the rate of twist but I don't remember a bore diameter stamp anywhere on the barrel.

I just sold a .375 Shilen barrel to another AR member about 2 months ago. Check your PM, I'm sending you his email address. Nice fellow I bet he'll help.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just checked some of the Shilen barrels I have in stock, they came direct from Shilen not Brownells.

It has Shilen in big letters, .257 (bore), 10(twist), C (chrome moly).

Another has Shilen in big letters, .257 (bore), 10 (twist, S (stainless steel), and XX which I beleive denotes it has been lapped.

They have no premium barrels as they are either match grade or select match grade.

All stainless barrels are lapped, the chrome moly barrels are not unless you specify and pay extra.

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
It has Shilen in big letters, .257 (bore), 10(twist), C (chrome moly).

Craftsman, what's the orientation of the stamings?(6 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc)

Mine is said to be bought wholesale, then smaller lots are bought by the shop owner, from whom I bought the single blank from. I wonder if it makes any difference on stampings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotech, I have 5 of them in my stash. Shilen is written at 12 0'clock on each one. Directly under Shilen is the bore, at 2 o'clock is C (chrome moly), at 4 is the contour, and at 6 o'clock is the twist. Mine all follow that and none of mine are lapped so I do not have any xx's.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every Shilen barrel that I've ever had had "Shilen" stamped on it.

I'd be leery of this one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to ask the supplier on Monday.

What about riflings, do you guys get 6 riflings or 8? Mine is 6.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotec,
Not that it hasn't already been thoroughly covered, but I am looking at a Shilen blank, and it also says Shilen on it and XX , bore, twist,etc.
My guess is that it's not a Shilen. Mine also has 6 lands and grooves.
Give Shilen a call to remove all doubt,972-875-5318.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE IS TRYING TO PULL A FAST ONE HERE, EVERY SHILEN BARREL I HAVE EVER SEEN HAS THEIR NAME ON IT.....HOPE YOU KEPT YOUR RECIEPT..

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD SHOOTING,
ETERRY

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Can you tell any of this by looking at a barrel that is mounted on a receiver? I bought a 20 caliber barreled action also said to be a Shilen but can't see any markings on it.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<coyote control>
posted
I also have supposing a Shilen barrel in SS Select Match, no marking anywhere on barrel. This barrel was installed by a well know gunsmith and I also have my doubts.
Are the marking visible if installed on receiver?

one of us
posted Hide Post
8 lands and grooves dosen't sound right. Could be wrong.

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark White,
The portioin where it is marked is on the end of the muzzle of the barrel. Not on the barrel surface but the area around the bore. It is cut off before the barrel is chambered.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic

When I had a Douglas barrel installed on my Mauser. The gunsmith cut a slice off the chamber end of the barrel ( with the markings ) and included this with the finished work. It clearly says Douglas XX, twist and caliber. I thought it was a nice touch to send it with the finished work. There is little doubt about the barrel maker, unless the slice is a fake. And if I suspected it was fake, I'm sure Douglas could conform this for me, given the slice.

If I had questions about the origin of marked barrel, I would contact the supposed manufacturer.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote