New
Find
Notify
Tools

enfield 45/70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i got an enfield today.it is already a sporter in a 308 i would like to convert to 45/70.how much will the action work cost me?i already got a barrelblank that needs threaded and put on.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Which enfield?

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p 17

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ah, okay..
swap it for a p14 for your m1917, and have the mag rib thinned, then work on the ramp. No biggie

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
While you are looking for a P-14 to swap for, keep your eyes open for a Siamese Mauser. They will work out even easier. They have a slanted front and back to the magazine box, which abolutely prevents you from putting loaded rounds in the box in such a way that the rim of a top round can end up behind (and catching on) the rim of a cartridge below it when fed into the chamber. You can make a rear spacer for the P-14 magazine box which will do the same thing, but why go to the trouble if you don't have to?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well it just so happens the guy has a 14 but the action was not as smooth i had my pick, maybe ill just go swap him. thanks for that info.those siamese mausers dont show up much around here.been lookin for one.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Better idea, keep the m1917, and build a 458(Win, AR, Lott). Then load it to what you can stand er.. like. Why waste a good action/rifle, on a handi-capped cartridge.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Better idea, keep the m1917, and build a 458(Win, AR, Lott). Then load it to what you can stand er.. like. Why waste a good action/rifle, on a handi-capped cartridge.

Keith

What he said.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Rework the 17 to a 458X2" American. It's basicly a belted 45-70. Brass can be cut down from about anything and bullets are a snap.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you can trade your p-17 for a P-14 in equal condition, and want a belted cartridge of ANY length, trade for the P-14. You will not have to rework the extractor as you would have to do with the P-17. The actions are pretty much identical except for the extractors (and the original chamberings, but you are tossing the barrel & chamber either way).

Personally, I think you will find you can load the .45-70 case to more whompf on both ends than most people care to shoot most of the time anyway, so see nothing wrong with that case either...and I have both, so am not saying that from a biased point of view.

YMMV, but I strongly recommend getting whatever cartridge YOU like, not what someone else might claim to be "better".

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote