Find
Notify
Tools

Rogaurd for a custom rifle finish
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
Has anyone used Rogaurd or NP3 for a custom rifle finish?

I recently viewed one in Rogaurd that looked really nice from the photos, but I would love to hear everyone's opinions?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three rifles done in Rogard with the bolts and internal’s in NP3. I really like it.

I also had a bunch of M14 magazines coated in NP3 and they are really nice and smooth working.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Can we all bother you for a few pictures? I would live to see some of it on another gun.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
Can we all bother you for a few pictures? I would live to see some of it on another gun.

I answered your email on this...don’t have any pictures and don’t have a digital camera. As I said in the email, Rogard/NP3 and “classic†styled rifles should pick other dance partners, IMO.

Rogard/NP3 is a really durable and tough finish but it does not look like traditional bluing by any stretch of the imagination.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Looks like I am barking up the wrong tree. I want a durable black finish that doesnt look like the ones on my duck guns. I want is semi-matte and durable for extended stints in high humidity weather and possible rain and snow.

One of Us
Picture of FlyingAce
posted Hide Post

I was doing some research on this finish after reading your first post, and I came across these three pictures from a different discussion board.

After 1 month of regular carry (1,750 rounds)

After 8 months of regular carry (4,500 rounds)

After 3 years of regular carry (11,482 rounds)

They URL to the whole topic can be found here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=33130)

Hope this helps.

Jim Mace

For all things WSSM...
http://wssmzone.com

Some told me, "Jim, sorry, you just can't...". To those I reply, "Watch Me..."

Posts: 84 | Location: Spokane, Washington | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like I am barking up the wrong tree. I want a durable black finish that doesnt look like the ones on my duck guns. I want is semi-matte and durable for extended stints in high humidity weather and possible rain and snow.

For that, Rogard is great. What you described to me was a classic styled english rifle with a highly figured wooden stock. If you don’t care about keeping the “classic†look then Rogard would be perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow that's good. I allways discounted these finishes as being fragile.....

Now the bad news I live in the UK. Is it a patented process, any UK coaters of similar quality?

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Still interested in ideas. I have a rifle that has suffered at the hands of weather a lot, but I do not want a paint like finish, nor do I want nickel or even all stainless. What to treat with? Armoloy TDC ????

We are over 120 inches or rain this year for one of the hunting areas I go to for wild boars!

One of Us
posted Hide Post

I have Used the industrial finish of Black Oxide on several rifles. Black Oxide is what you will find coating gears, grade 5 or better steel bolts, ect. If you polish the parts then treat, they will shine. If you lightly glass bead it will be a pleasing mat finish. I have done several utility (backup) rifles in this fashion and been very pleased with the results. That being said, I still believe rust blueing on a custom is the correct way to go. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I just had a 700 receiver and floorplate metal "Rogarded".

The finish was a little glossier on the steel parts than what I had expected, and true to their word - the stuff only measures between .0005 and .0007 thick.

The triggerguard/floorplate came out more like the finish that I was expecting, a dull matte finish.

Turn around time was three weeks, and this was over the holidays. If I get a chance later, I'll take a picture.

I've used the Duracoats and KG coats in the past, and haven't been pleased with their durability. So far, I haven't been able to damage this finish(even trying in non-conspicuous areas).

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I would love to see pictures of it. I am hoping for a matte to semi gloss finish for my rifle, but I want to protect it too.

I am very interested in this Armoloy, but would prefer a black finish.

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone used Rogaurd or NP3 for a custom rifle finish?

I recently viewed one in Rogaurd that looked really nice from the photos, but I would love to hear everyone's opinions?

I have had Rogard/NP3 applied to a ULA 300WSM. PM me with your email address and I can shoot you off some photos.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
PM Sent

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post

Why not get a time-tested slow rust blue done? I'm told that if you keep the finish oiled, it'll last forever.

Plus it will look classy with that classic stock.

Just my $.02...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tex21:

Why not get a time-tested slow rust blue done? I'm told that if you keep the finish oiled, it'll last forever.

Plus it will look classy with that classic stock.

Just my $.02...

I agree. Traditionally blued rifles that are well maintained will last for a long time. If you’re using your rifle in conditions that will attack the metal that much it will also be attacking your beautiful wooden stock.

Rogard is great stuff, and I have it on several rifles (all with McMillan stocks), but it does not give the same appearance as traditional bluing. If “traditional†appearance is a factor then I would not suggest its use.