New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which action for 9.3x64?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, I am planning on building a custom rifle in 9.3x64 and am trying to decide on an action. I like the idea of an "all stainless steel all the time" rifle for hunting (especially if I get to Alaska or Canada) so the Montana Rifleman SS action is attractive. I am considering either the CZ550 (yeah, I know it's blued) or the MR action, the other option would be a used stainless Ruger 77, Win. 70, or a blued surplus mauser action. Anyone know off the top of their heads what the capacity will be in these actions with standard floorplates? As far as price I would like to stay under $1500 not counting the glass if possible. I will buying a stock (not sure which yet) and doing the fitting/bedding myself.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I'm building my 9.3x64 on a 1951 model 70. I would be sure to have a reputed smith do the work, just to be sure the bolt work and feeding issues were done as well as possible...

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a ruger mark II in 30-06 and stainless should be able to be had for 300-400 bucks.

barrel 200
install 150
that's 750, tops for in the ruger stock

You should be able to get 3 down with the standard, if not 4, and if you have 3 and 3/4, you can get the 4th one for follower work and perhaps cutting windows in the mag box.

Since you are wanting stainless, you may also want a plastic fantastic stock, and the factory one will work... but a mac-bros is about 400..

you are now at 1150, far under your 1500...

OR you could spend the change on wood, checkering, and turning.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso, is the 1917 an option, discounting the stainless idea? I think you might get one more down with that action and leaving the long magazine in it. Packy

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Yep, discounting the stainless part, I would certainly think about the enfield, if I was doing most of the work ($$$$$)

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9,3x62's fit perfectly in pre-64 m-70's...........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. Jeffeosso, great points on the Ruger action, I will have to give that more consideration. I checked with MR and they said the M1999 action will be 3+1 for capacity. I actually do have a 1917 action but I am using it for a .470 Capstick!

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a 9.3x64 Brenneke built on a Global Trading M98 action from Legacy Sports. I got an email last week saying that the barrel was chambered, headspaced and contoured and the sights were roughed out. It will be a very special rifle when finished. Having a Sako 100/200 yd rear bridge dovetail peep integrated into the build and lever Q/R rings. I'll post some pictures and more details when it is finished.
Jeff Pfeifer

Posts: 331 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am about to send away a Win. Model 70 classic stainless in .30-06 that I just bought to be re-barreled to 9.3 x 64. I've read in other threads (and on other forums) that the Model 70's go 4 down in 9.3 x 64 and feed well without any modification other than obviously opening the bolt face.

Posts: 177 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 March 2005Reply With Quote