New
Find
Notify
Tools

Like Bondo, but better?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to add some material in a couple of places on a McMillan fiberglass stock and looking for a material that will be stronger and more moisture resistant than Bondo but easier to work than a metal bearing epoxy like Devcon.
I'll be using the material built to 1/2" or better in thickness so structural integrity is important.

Anyone here have first hand experience with something that might fit the bill?

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Locktite's epoxy putty? Comes in a clear plastic tube and looks like a roll of candy.

I first used it when I purchased a stock from HS Precision and they included some with the purchase. I've since used it for bedding in a heavy recoiling rifle and it seems to hold up fairly well.

It definitely beats Bondo. Smiler

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
marine tex grey ..

i haven't tried the epoxy bondos

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Fiberglass and resin??

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
It would be really nice if you could tell us what you are planning to do.

What do you mean by "easier to work": easier to sand/shape once hardened, easier to form while setting-up, or something that keeps its shape and holds in place while hardening?

If you just want to fill an safety cut-out the epoxy putty that comes in a roll would probably be fine.

If you want to make it easier to sand microballons from TAP plastic would be great because and they would have the added benefit of increasing the volume of your epoxy and making it lighter.

You could also add something like talc to make the epoxy more sandable and less likely to sag.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like Bondo, but better?

Bondo is basically fiberglass resin(aka polyester resin) with a filler added.

So an epoxy with a filler added is basically "like Bondo, but better".

I believe there may be epoxy based body fillers on the market.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google System 3 Epoxy. They make an epoxy fairing compound for boats that's much, much better than Bondo. Easy to sand too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with this apoxy clay

It is very easy to work with. Fill in your problem areas. You can smooth it out and feather it in with your finger dipped in water. Sands very easy with drywall sanding screen. Sticks to anything and rakes all types of paints and is solvent proof once dry. Cleans up with water while still wet. Only problem is it can a be a little hard to get thin. But it sands so easy I have had no trouble putting it on thick and sanding it down to the level I need. Just sand within the first 24 hours after it sets up.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use the thicker fiberglass reinforce "Bondo Glass".

After it fully cures for about a week, it is about as strong and anything inside a factory Mc Millan stock.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Jason
In the auto body world which I have been out of the loop for quite some time we use to be able to get a product called E glass. And there was a whole shelf dedicated to these different body fillers. Yes there are fillers out there epoxy based fillers right along with the polyester risen fillers we have known for years.

I will say one thing Bondo is brittle and if used in a thin section it may crack or snap. If you are trying to fade some extra material in to an area that may become to thin Grind out the base material so you can build up a thicker section of filler and not have your filler fade out to a feather edge on top of the base.
Kinda hard to explain in words.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to use the marine-tex if it doesn't tend to run while setting up. I'll be adding a thumbrest to a handgun stock and bulking out the very thin sides along the bbl channel to accept a larger dia barrel.

Thanks for the replies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accra-glass and micro ballons for the barrel channel .

First tape off the clearance required and then mix to be fairly stiff.

You can wet the barrel chanel with accra-glass first and lay in a few strips of fiberglass cloth.
Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered some Marine-tex grey which should work fine for what I need to do. Thanks for the replies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the Marine-tex is too thin, international pistol and position shooters use a clay type epoxy to fine tune their grips. I don't know of a source off hand, but bet you could find one on the Pilkguns sponsored forum called TargetTalk.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it is the same but the link I posted sounds like what your talking about.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote