New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stripping chromium(hard chrome) finish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What all is there to stripping a hard chromium finish off a SA revolver or parts of, and then blueing it instead with a matte rather than polished blue

Any other recomendations for firearms plateing. Someone in the Western US ?

http://mahovskysmetalife.com/index.htm

Does stripping hard chrome leave the metal damaged at all?

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does stripping hard chrome leave the metal damaged at all?

Not normally.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldnt find the stuff for stripping hard chrome in brownells cay, just for stripping nickle

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sodium Hydroxide and 2-6 volts. Caustic soda or basically lye. If that place will do it for $30 let them!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask the Expert Question-and-Answer Archive
(Hard Chrome Plating)

by Larry Zitko, ChromeTech, Inc.
June, 2002

Removing Chrome Plating

Q. What is the easiest way to remove chrome or can you let me know where to purchase a chemical to do this with as my supplier stopped selling the stripper that I used.

A. Sodium hydroxide at 8-12 oz/gal (w/v) works well for electrostripping chromium from carbon steel substrates. The bath can be operated at ambient temperature or higher, at a current density of 0.25 - 1.0 amp/sq.in. The fumes evolved are toxic and must be evacuated and scrubbed. The bath starts out as a simple solution of caustic soda but acquires an increasing component of a hexavalent chromium compound as the metallic chromium is electrostripped from the workpieces. The spent solution is hazardous waste and must be properly disposed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
couple more chrome stippers

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD Miller:
couple more chrome stippers

I've heard that some of those type of "strippers" can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. I don't think they would cause a problem W/a revolver. I'm afraid if you used that type of stripper to remove hard chrome from a shotgun barrel bore they would be much too harsh. There would be a better than average chance that the barrel would collapse.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote