Find
Notify
Tools

Remove Nickel Plating?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All -

Have an old Mauser and bottom metal that are nickel plated, the bottom metal looking like old parade type finish.

How do I remove this without harming what is underneath?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
The best way I know to remove it is by using an electrolosis process. Brownells sells the chemicals and you a DC electrical current, reversing the plating process.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The best way I know to remove it is by using an electrolosis process.
tu2
I worked part time years ago for a smith that plated firearms (as well as horse harness fittings Big Grin) That is how we did it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds fairly simple. Will see what I need from Brownells and try on the bottom metal first.

Thank you!

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Brownells unplating solution on chrome plated shotgun bores, it works as advertised. Think I used a cheap 6/12vdc battery charger as a power source.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used a cheap 6/12vdc battery charger as a power source.
C.G.B.

Just how I do it. Brownells instructions tell you to get a truck battery, but I didn't have access to any for free. The charger was a cheaper, and more versitile solution.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken,
Send me a PM. I will get it done for you at no charge. I had a complete Obendorf done for one of our AR members and it came out beautifully.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote