Find
Notify
Tools

Black Walnut *w/Pictures*
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
For those of you, such as I, that really like black walnut, here is a blank on eBay. Too bad it isnt a good one!

Just FYI

eBay Black Walnut "AAAA"

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just think of that blank being turned into a stock and take close notice of the grain on top looking at the angle as it goes across the blank. Now think of the wrist of the stock and how that would hold up with the planes of the wood at that angle.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
At some of the prices on ebay, I think I will just buy these for use on furniture. Maybe veneer for humidors?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id call that slab sawn pretty much, and at a angle

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hot Kiln dried...not my favorite

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Looking at his other blanks. Anyone interested in a big knot?
http://cgi.ebay.com/AAA-Black-walnut-gunstock-blank-lon...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I think it is more interesting to look at the prices for wet Claro walnut, or knotty burl myrtle. I bought one burl piece of walnut that was listed as a buttstock blank, but i needed it for stabilization into knife handles. Wet is not the word for it.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Here's his web site.. I bought one today off ebay.

http://www.gunstockblanks.net/

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Chic, I went to the website, saw $1500 piece of black with your name on it, its kiln dried to boot sofa

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy quite of highly figured English and Claro
California. All on Ebay. I don't make gun stocks. I buy ALL my wood from one seller. quaking_aspens That is the Ebay ID of Ray and Cathy Richter and they only put up properly seasoned wood. I have yet to have a bad piece from them.In fact their Rating is 100% Tell them Uncle Jack sent you. They are as honest as they come. I have in the past loaded up on their wood. NEVER A PROBLEM
Jack
Jack

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've bought from quaking_aspens too. Nice folks.

Rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I just gotta do it! I am having Alva Watts send me photos of highly figured black walnut blanks. I just love the stuff....slowly I am forgeting why English is better and my mind drifts back to by love of American Black Walnut! drifting drifting drifting back!HHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone ever use Alva Watts for blanks?

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
I just gotta do it! I am having Alva Watts send me photos of highly figured black walnut blanks. I just love the stuff....slowly I am forgeting why English is better and my mind drifts back to by love of American Black Walnut! drifting drifting drifting back!HHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone ever use Alva Watts for blanks?

I too REALLY like American Black. Especially on lever actions and classic american rifles like the M70. It just looks and feels right on an American made classic rifle to me.

I have drooled over the pics on Watts website. I wonder what his pricing is. Some of those blanks on his site get my heart throbbing.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The prices on these two are listed below. I think you will find him more than fair.

$350

$400

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I love the figure and the color of the wood in the photos of Watts'. Does anyone know where he gets this black walnut from? You know like what state? I am curious. I just got a block of blk walnut from Oklahoma that is amazing burl. It is on its way to get stabilized for a knifemaker's handles.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
He lives in Missouri. I thought he said he got it in the area. But I could be wrong.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
He once told me most of his comes from western Oklahoma, not the first place that comes to mind for walnut.

I have a blank from a tree that grew in a dry creek bed near Kerrville, TX, also not your typical place for walnut, a spectacular blank, hard and dense as the rocks it grew in.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good or not, Oklahoma's got Black Walnut growin' out its....

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Charles, if you're black walnut blank was not a good one, I will buy it from you for $87Smiler

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Here in California we like out OK roots! I suppose the wood there is as good as our people so I am inclined to purchase some!

Here is some pics of Alva Watt's wood.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have done business with Robert Watts at WATTS WALNUT

They are good people to do business with. Their stocks are reasonable and in my opine,make beautiful stocks, ie, my 404 Jeffery stocks.
right

Left

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I always thought we were a little wet here in the Show Me State for growing good gunstocks. We recieve 40+ inches of precip a year.

I guess if you got a tree from the top of a hill where there wasn't as much dirt between the rocks.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always thought we were a little wet here in the Show Me State for growing good gunstocks. We recieve 40+ inches of precip a year

If that is the case a lot of California would be very poor wood. I get over 65 inches here at home, and within 10 miles is the location that sometimes takes the gold for the most rainfall in the cont US. The wood is still dense and sometimes with good figure like this Claro I cut in Nov...A few of the blanks will havethe graftline between burl Claro and streaked English. I will take pictures of those later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very true. Wild trees can be very dense and hard as they don't get the water that the orchards get. I have bought both and the difference is substancial. I get my wood from the Williams area.
Jack

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Williams

In California? That is just down the highway and across HWY20 from me, about 4 hours.

We also have another rarer version of Claro that grows here, but it is uncommon. You can only find it at really old homesteds and native villages.

Here is a little for the people who cannot decide between Claro and English. A little Claro in the butt and English on the forearm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know Ray and Cathy Richter in Williams? THey are the best. Ray is quite a lumberman. Great wood; English, Claro and Wild Black. Great wood from great folks. I love them both even if UI am their uncle Jack

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
No I do not. Do they have a lumber yard or how do they sell?

I am nearer to Eureka on the coast about 2 hours from Oregon on Hwy101

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Don't know if they have a "Lumber Yard" per say, I do know that Ray cuts from the groves and also wild trees and processes all that he cuts. He and Cathy are very good at what they do. I have purchased many thousands of dollars of wood from them with never a problem. Not one. I am not really their uncle, they just call me that due to our long business relationship. No finer persons walk this earth in my humble opinion.

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not make stocks at all. I require highly figured wood for VERY SMALL wood working projects. The fact that my work is SMALL requires that the wood I use be so. I take my wood from their Ebay offerings. They know what I require and provide for that requirement and others.

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the SHOT Show in Las Vegas http://www.hunterbid.com interesting source of walnut .

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Winggunner---

This is the type of Claro I have been cutting lately [see pictures]. This Claro has an amazing history behind it having been grown as an ornamental in the courtyard of a famous local inn. The top was the typical English graft and I have gunstock blanks with the graft-line in them too.

I have three 8 foot logs of Paradox/Bastogne to cut soon. They are actually a cross between Clar oand American Black, but hte wood is amazing from what I ahve see nin the limbs. the smallest log is 3.5 feet in diameter.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If any of you know someone in the Sacramento Valley area who can help me cut some wood for stock blanks and or furniture wood, I have the root ball and trunk from an old Black Walnut that I just removed from a site north of Yuba City. I am looking for someone who will do it on a shares basis.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I have been working on a few log myself lately. I wanted to get them indoors before the weather turned sunny. You heard me, we have onnly had one week where it was sunny and it rained yesterday and today.

Attached please find photos of one English blank and one in a Claro/Eastern black hybrid. The hybrid is super dark wood. Had I been more on it I would have taken pictures before using the sealer. ZThis sealer meters the loss of moisture but does not stop it so you can treat the entire blank if you want.

The blanks are oversized at 20 and 22 inches I believe. Thickness is currently 4.8 inches and more than enough wood to get a forearm out of.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
It appears, and I am probably wrong, but is this grain flow not the best for a rifle? I appears that it runs across the blank and that could cause warping? Am I right or wrong?

one of us
posted Hide Post
For a really consistent view of how gorgeous high grade American walnut can be, look at literally hundreds of the deluxe Winchester 1886 lever actions and 1885 single shots that came from New Haven in the thirty years before the First World War.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vigillinus,
That Winchester wood came from Iowa/Missouri, where Winchester used to fill box cars with the stuff and transport it back to Conn.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote