New
Find
Notify
Tools

rem model 7, 7saum rechamber?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a good deal on a ss rem model 7 but it's chambered for the 7saum(which is probably why it's a good deal). I'm not to fond of that caliber even though I've never owned one. Can that be easily rechambered to 7wsm and will it still feed? I've also heard it's not a problem to rebarrel a model 7 from a 700 barrel as long as the contour is similar?

So I'm open to ideas. I imagine the easiest (most economical) is to just get some brass and run it as is. I would rather it was a 270wsm. But maybe I could rebarrel a wildcat like the 6.5saum.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also consider the 6.5 Remington.

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
filmit,

Looks like you could ream it to 7WSM or rebarrel to any of the WSMs.

If me, Think I'd leave it alone and get cases/dies for the 7RSAM. Midsouth Shooter's supply has both dies and Remington cases in stock:

http://www.midsouthshooterssup...sp?sku=0005022846100

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do believe the Remington version is a bit longer that the Winchster one so you would have to set the barrel back a bit.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, you know a thousand times more than me about guns, but in this case, you have it backwards. The WSM case is a bit longer than the SAUM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
How long is the barrel? If it is less than 22", I'd rebarrel it. The 7mm RSUM is very similar in capacity & ballistics to the 280 Ackley Imp.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11248 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would definitely leave it alone. You will have to deep seat the WSM bullets or it will not eject a loaded round. You will also have to deep seat them to work in the magazine. You have then lost your extra case capacity.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch. I know the model 7 is now chambered for the wsm cartridges but I did hear the box had to be modified to make it work. Thanks for clarifying.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you want to go and spend money when you have an already great cartridge???? Just because the American gun buying crowd didnt jump all over the 7 SAUM doesnt mean its not a great cartridge.

I have the same exact rifle as you, brass is easy to get, plus Norma now makes very good 300 saum brass that can easily be re-sized.

I have picked up several boxes of 150gr Rem ammo for 24 dollars a box!!!! There are benefits to having a dead cartridge.

Think of the 7 SAUM as a 280AI short, guys jump all over the 280AI but the 7saum was a factory cartridge in stainless/sythetic rifles that were inexpensive and was basically ignored....go figure...how crazy is that??? i guess because its not a wildcat its not cool Roll Eyes

Mine puts those factory 150's into an inch to 1-1/4" and 139gr Hornady spire-points into an inch. I have tons of brass so im not worried about the future......

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The long range match shooters aren't ignoring it. F-class as well as prone shooters are moving to it for use with the new offerings from Sierra and Berger. A very accurate cartridge. It easily gets the 180 Berger VLD to 2950fps which seems to be a sweet spot for that bullet. You can get faster but that seems to work for most people.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
do you reload/handload? This round is a great medium.. load it to 284/280 specs and hunt the world

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
In general, the 7mm SAUM is more accurate than the 7 mm WSM. You gain almost nothing with the WSM. The 7mm SAUM has the same ballistics as the 7mm WM. It's a great round, it just wasn't hipped like the WSM's, which aren't. Get some good brass and play with it a little and I think you will like it......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by filmit:
I'm not to fond of that caliber...

Then I would change it. You could rechamber the barrel, but it's probably pretty short, right? I don't think any magnum rounds are a great idea in a short barrel, but that's me. I've rechambered a 26" 7mm Remington Magnum take-off to 7mm WSM before. The barrel ended up a little over 25" but in terms of bullet travel it was about the same. So that would be a cheap way to go and get a longer barrel, but really it seems like you would probably be happier with a new custom barrel in a chambering that you like. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give the 7 SAUM a shot. Its a bit like the 260....slow at first, but now growing as word gets around about it's ballistic capabilities. A 160gr bullet in 7mm has great long-range characteristics, and doesn't need to be driven at 3,500 fps to be effective.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote