New
Find
Notify
Tools

Third lug on CZ550
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you guys think of the third lug on the CZ550? It is a lot smaller than on a 98 and has even gotten smaller since they changed the safety to fire with the safety forward. Do you think it is still effective to hold the bolt if the front lugs were to let go, or is it just there for cosmetic purpose.

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If the front two lugs can't hold it, I wouldn't bet my life on a third one. Big Grin I'm thinking it's there mainly for looks. FWIW, I'm pretty sure those two lugs won't let go if you keep the working pressures within the safe operating limits of that which the action is designed to handle. Pick a load for the gun as if it didn't have a third lug. That's how I would approach it.

I have friends customers who like to develope loads by increasing the pressures until the "bolt sticks". THEY are the ones who need a third lug, right up beside their head. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
If the front two lugs can't hold it, I wouldn't bet my life on a third one. Big Grin I'm thinking it's there mainly for looks. FWIW, I'm pretty sure those two lugs won't let go if you keep the working pressures within the safe operating limits of that which the action is designed to handle. Pick a load for the gun as if it didn't have a third lug. That's how I would approach it.

I have friends customers who like to develope loads by increasing the pressures until the "bolt sticks". THEY are the ones who need a third lug, right up beside their head. Big Grin

what are you talking about when the bolt starts sitcking you know you have found your load, I hunt with those, mgun I carry a small mallet in my pocket just in case

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
quote:

what are you talking about when the bolt starts sitcking you know you have found your load, I hunt with those, mgun I carry a small mallet in my pocket just in case

As meticulous as you are with your guns, like I'd buy that. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We probably don't need a third lug if we never made any mistakes, and I know I have, but luckily caught it before actually firing the load. A while ago there was a post about locking lugs letting go, if I remember right they were on a Mauser. It appears they let go enough for the third lug to make contact.
When you compare the two, the mauser lug is about 5/16" X 3/8" and the CZ is only about 1/4" square. On other rifles the bolt handle acts as the third lug. But then again the CZ lug is pobably still stronger than the Rem 700 with the braised on lug (bolt handle).

Hart

Posts: 307 | Location: Vancouver, BC. | Registered: 15 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember Remington and Winchester use their bolt handles for a third lug! thumbdown animal

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Remember Remington and Winchester use their bolt handles for a third lug! thumbdown animal

If we don't worry about it, why do we keep insisting that 98 mausers are the only ones suitable for higher intensity cartridges such as 308 Win and 30/06 and such? If we discount the third lug, I think a 96 Swede is a stronger action than a small ring 98. Compare the left lug on a 96 with that of a 98 and we can see that the 96 has a lot larger locking lug and the metal in a 96 should be as good as any of the 98's.

As for the Remingtons and Winchesters using bolt handles as third lugs, I think the Remingtons are worthless and the post 64 Winchesters are marginal. Pre 64's and any bolt that is one piece, using the bolt handle as a third lug is very effective.