THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester's "Glue" That Is Used For Bedding?
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Gentlemen,

We had a Winchester rifle brought in here today, 7mm Remington Magnum, whose owner said was not shooting very well.

He had brought a target to show us, with 3 shots that were about 3 inches apart! He said this was one of its better groups, and he wanted to know if we could impove it.

And we usually do, I took the rifle off the stock, and a piece of bedding compound fell out from under the locking lug. I looked at the stock where the locking lug fits, and sure enough, part of that whisky colour compound they use seem to have fallen off.

I tried to remove the rest of it, as it was my intention to bed the rifle properly. The stuff seems to be like chewing gum! And it took me ages to get that little hollow cleaned up.

We also had some friends shooting a BRNO 308 rifle I had re-barreled. They were shooting standard military ball ammo, and the groups they wee getting were about 1.5 - 2.0 inches for 5 shots.

The man who brought in the Winchester rifle, asked if he could shoot our BRNO. And after shooting a few rounds, he asked if he could buy it.

I told him we do no sell rifles, but would be happy to swap it for his badly shooting rifle.

He did not hesitate, and went home happy with his newly acquired rifle, and 100 rounds of ammo too.

I bedded the rifle, and hope to shoot it in the next few days, and will let you know how it does.

In my experience, the bedding seems to be a problem with many rifles that do not shoot well. Let us hope it is also true in this instance.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We found the same thing, in synthetic stocked Winchesters. It is a pain to get the "gum" out but most have shot much, much better after proper bedding.

By the way, I was talking to Bill Shehane a week of two ago, said he knew you. I've hunted with Bill for many, many years on Buck Mountain.
Small world?!
Walt Hampton

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
I have seen the same problem before with that crap that Winchester used. It seemed like hardened contact cement.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That stuff behaves somewhat like "hot glue". It is apparently squirted into the stock in a "hot" and semi-liquid state. As it cools it solidifies (sorta). I don't recommend trying to cut it out with a highspeed cutter and Dremel tool!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've only fooled with it a couple times but I was able to grab an edge with needle-nose pliers and gently pull it out in one piece. But I had to pull slowly to give the leading edge time to release before it pulled apart.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It's better than nothing...but not much. I'm also betting it was some sort of hot-glue.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
That stuff behaves somewhat like "hot glue". It is apparently squirted into the stock in a "hot" and semi-liquid state. As it cools it solidifies (sorta). I don't recommend trying to cut it out with a highspeed cutter and Dremel tool!

Funny enough, that is the only way I could get it out.

I ran a bit at high speed on it from a Dremel tool. That got it more gooey, then I used a small screw driver to pry it out.

Posts: 68676 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I could not pull out with needle nose pliers, I also used a dremel with a small round steel bit. Had to scrap the goo off the bit many times but I got it all out.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my M70 Classic SS/Syn rifles in 300 Win and 375 H&H the "bedding" compound of the recoil lug looked and acted like hot glue. On taking apart both files this "bedding agent" was easy to peel off the stock and/or lug. I am positive in my case it was just plain old hot glue. Not the best stuff to "bed" the rifle to be sure.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I bought mt left handed M70 (375) in 2004 and it had the same hot glue bedding. They had actually bedded the forward lug with it and dribbled it all the way down the barrel channel to the action barrel lug.

I peeled it out by hand and then steel bedded my action.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I tried the rotary cutter bit in the Dremel tool, the stuff liquified and spun up into something resembling cotton candy! It wrapped around the shaft and made a huge mess. Other than that, it works great! Big Grin

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just had the same thing in a 300 H&H I just acquired.

I removed the "gum" and rebedded it with Accra-gel Now the groups are cut in half, and also is much more consistant.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I left the "gum" bedding alone in my 375 H&H and it is shooting 3 shots touching most of the time at 100 yards with Barnes Triple Shocks.
My theory was I,m not messing with it until it does something wrong.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if it doesnt pop right out, freeze it (like popping a glued in rifle) and chip it out...

but, it IS a functional bedding, and returns the barrel to the same ... it just doesn't take a beating etc....

on my 416rem, it was a 1.25" gun before bedding, and under moa after

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my experience, the bedding seems to be a problem with many rifles that do not shoot well. Let us hope it is also true in this instance.

I once read an article about accuracy by a fellow named Warren Page. I am sure it was in Field & Stream back in the days when a magazine like that one cost $0.25. Must have been in the 1950's. One of the things he pointed out in it was that accuracy problems with most rifles could be traced to bad bedding of the barreled action in the stock. Still true today, too.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With or without the glue there should be no difference.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

May I ask why you seem to be stuck on replying with such childish answers?

I have seen you answer so many members with utter nonsene!

Are you doing it on purpose, if so please stop it, it is not amusing to anyone any more.

If you are really serious, then I suggest you find another place, you might find people who think like yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

May I ask why you seem to be stuck on replying with such childish answers?

I have seen you answer so many members with utter nonsene!

Are you doing it on purpose, if so please stop it, it is not amusing to anyone any more.

If you are really serious, then I suggest you find another place, you might find people who think like yourself.
It's just my style.Utter nonsense?? I may kid around but alot of what I say comes from my shooting experience.Besides, do you see what they say to me? If things get to serious and ugly around here I will leave.About the glue,yes that is my oppinion.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some times a heat gun will aid in lifting it out . kind of like peeling vinyl emblems off a surface .

Accra Glass or ,I use Devcon SS putty works great for bedding actions .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Screwdrivers,pliers and high speed dremels? ...interesting lunchtime butchershop gunsmithing,...what ever happened to the idea of a sharp chisel in careful steady patient hands?
...when I pulled my m70 out of the stock the bedding gue was stuck.... to the action. Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
what ever happened to the idea of a sharp chisel in careful steady patient hands?

That only happens to intelligent craftsmen, people we do not have in our workshop.

Anyway, I have bedded the rifle and free flloated the barrel.

I have only fired one group - actualy a minimum load to sight in the scope. I have not measured it, but it looks about an inch. I will start load development for it in the next day or two.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodjack:
Screwdrivers,pliers and high speed dremels? ...interesting lunchtime butchershop gunsmithing,...what ever happened to the idea of a sharp chisel in careful steady patient hands?
...when I pulled my m70 out of the stock the bedding gue was stuck.... to the action. Big Grin

Big Grin Thats "Mr. Highly skilled, steadyhanded, Lunchtime/kitcken table professional highspeed dremel certifiied operators" to you Big Grin clap

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK dremelites, I guess you also have a dremel "barrel crowning bit"?.... rotflmo, or maybe just a rat tail hand file? Eeker ..please say it isnt so....

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The "bedding" in my Winchester was soft, about the consistency of rubber cement and peeled right out with just my fingernails.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Woodjack

I resemble that remark, I have never tried to file a rats tail in my life, besides it would probably bite.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote