New
Find
Notify
Tools

bolt polishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read here recently that stones should be used- what size/shape/grit/etc ?

I don't know the first thing about them.

any/all info/suggestions welcomed.

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To polilsh a bolt,one needs a sticked muslin,or cotton buffing wheel.Some are also made of felt. I would not be taking a stone to any bolt unless you knew exactly what you were doing!! van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, I know a buffing wheel will round edges, etc, which is what I want to avoid (I think)- unless buffing with a wheel or felt bobs and compound is the accepted/best method.

and, no, I don't know what I'm doing, but I have to start somewhere, even if I f**k it up.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Wrap some fine emery clothe around a file or a piece of wood and have at it. You'd have to polish on a piece of hardened steel for quite a while to damage it with a fine of fine emery. Or, you could use fine grit polishing stones. Or Flizt and steel wool.

The goal is to polish the bolt without rounding all the squared edges and removing much metal. The easiest way to do this is to use something that's hard-backed and fine grit. These methods have worked for me.

YMMV.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone here have any of Jack Belk's polishing posts for tin can? I used to have them but I printed them off and deleted the e stuff.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack's instructions were mentioned in the last couple months or so, that's where I got the notion that polishing with stones was the way to go.

and thanks to all.

...did a search, here's all the information, the zip of jack's tutorial is still there-

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=search...&forum_scope=9411043

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this is what you are after but this is what I do.

I draw file if there are deep pits and then go to 320 WoD used dry until I get a uniform finish. Then to 400 used dry and then to 600 used dry. As the 600 wears down it will start to bring a fair shine to the surface. This is where you should be able to see any areas that need to be done again. Depending on how bad the areas are you may have to go back to 320 to smooth them out. I wrap pieces of the WoD around different shaped sticks to do the odd shaped areas.

If the metal surface you are polishing is in pretty good shape already I would start with 400.

After polishing with the wore down 600 I usually go to 1000 and work that until it is wore down.

I use a metal polish on a 100% COTTON rag and as many tricks as I can come up with to polish the piece in the least time needed. At this point I will use the wheel, but you must be careful when doing a bolt as if it gets pulled out of your hand it could damage the bolt, etc.

One trick is to take the blue jean waist band with the belt loops cut off from an old pair of jeans and put your metal polish on one side, wrap it around the bolt and pull back and forth. This polishes up the bolt fairly quickly.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
should I keep an extractor collar in the bolt while doing this, to keep from rounding the edges of the collar groove?

thanks.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by van:
To polilsh a bolt,one needs a sticked muslin,or cotton buffing wheel.Some are also made of felt. I would not be taking a stone to any bolt unless you knew exactly what you were doing!! van

The same can be said for buffing wheels.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The same can be said for buffing wheels.

Especially felt wheels.

Its all in the "feel" of what you're doing.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
should I keep an extractor collar in the bolt while doing this, to keep from rounding the edges of the collar groove?

thanks.

Yes. I wrap a piece of wire around the extractor grooves to keep the collar from moving around too much. It is most important when you are using the paper. Get a good idea of where the collar is when the bolt is closed and keep track of that position as you are doing the work. When doing the final polish the exact position is not critical IMO.

Z1r, D Humbarger and others are making some very good points. It takes a feel for this stuff. Stay away from bearing surfaces that will affect the fit, head space, etc, of the bolt and receiver. Especially the front and rear of the bolt.

If you have not polished things with a buffing wheel, my opinion is do this one by hand.

Hope this helps.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it does, a great deal. thanks.

I've actually done a fair amount of polishing, but not this kind where things are critical.

I don't like wheels, for the obvious reasons.

thanks again, I have good advice from all and can get going. I have a few bare bolts to practice on, two of them are beyond hope, and those will be the first two I try.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
..... I have a few bare bolts to practice on, two of them are beyond hope, and those will be the first two I try.

As Ootek said to Tyler in the movie Never Cry Wolf: ...Good idea......

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
tin can, if you'll post an e-mail addy, I'll send you a complete set of files from Jack Belk on stoning and polishing.

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fourbuttons2003@yahoo.com

greatly appreciated Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tin can, you've got (e)mail....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
received and thank you.