Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 marlin feeding
 Login/Join

posted
I just picked up a 450 marlin that was being built on a 98 mauser action from a friend of a friend. The barrel(wilson?) was chambered properly, and the rifle shoots fine. The problem is, it appears whoever did some work on this rifle was a little carried away trying to make it feed ,and took a little too much off the left rear rail. With 3 rounds in the magazine, the 2nd round will pop out the top when working the bolt. Looking at the rails and comparing them to other 98's I own it does look ground down a little far. Is there any way to remedy this other than taking the barrel off and fitting it to a new action? Would it be possible to convert it to a straight feed? like the magazine/clips, Gibbs used to sell ?
Thank you for any suggestions

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if it pops up, when you work the bolt, on the left side, it's probably either an incorrect rail angle, a bad choice on follower, or, as you said, cut too much.

do you have any other "maG" bolt guns? you could swap the follower and see, just to remove the easy part.

you CERTAINLY could get the gibbs box (check evilbay) and install that. probably only have 2 down, but it would feed.

if it's not feeding from there, please consult a local pro. this should be an easy fix, if not too buthered.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply. No, I dont have any magnum 98's, I do have a 338 model 70. All my other Mauser rifles are in standard calibers 7x57,8x57,6.5x55,257Roberts. 2 rounds in the magazine will be fine, I picked this rifle up since it was a great deal, even if it ends up just being a single shot.