New
Find
Notify
Tools

WSM Rebarrel Job?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Ultimate Shadow M70 in .270 WSM that is not shooting up to expectations. I found a new .300 WSM factory barrel for $35. Since I have a Super Shadow in .270 WSM that is a tack driver. My plans are this:

Replace the Ultimate Shadow stock with an Accuracy Innovations stock.

Replace the .270 barrel with the .300 WSM barrel. Is this a pretty simple job for my gunsmith? Correct me if I am wrong, it should just be a matter of swapping the barrel.

Should I have him true up the action while he is screwing the new barrel on?

I was going to sell the Super Shadow but can't part with it due to it's accuracy and this will give me a M70 in .300 WSM.

Thoughts?

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't be too much trouble to swap the barrels but you must check/set headspace. Just because the barrels came off the same model rifle doesn't mean the headspace will match; it might but most likely will not.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Racklover:

In theory you are correct about switching the barrels. In practice it is not so simple. If you face your action. The barrel tendon may or may not be to long. The original chamber may have to be reamed a little. The second reamer will not be exactly like the first. Factory take offs generally are not of the same precision quality as custom chambered barrels.
There are many headaches with putting factory take offs on another receiver. You have other considerations like barrel co-axial alignment and concentricity. you have concerns about headspacing, and if it is a blued barrel the finish may or may not have to be polished and re-blued, The stamped text may not line up above the stock. Most gunsmiths will tell you that you are gambling in geting quality accuracy out of a factory take off. Factory barrels are often sub quality in comparison to aftermarket barrels. In other words you get what you pay for. As for short magnums I personally would never use a short magnum in a factory take off as the barrel life on most short magnums is less than 1000 rounds. Especially if you don't know the barrels history. I would charge you you just as much to set back the factory barrel as I would to rechamber and instal a new barrel.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some time this morning I will call my gun doctor and see if it is worth doing this. I am told the barrel is brand new. It is S/S.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My smith wants $200 just to put the barrel on and check headspace Eeker

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
If it where me, i would face the action and then cut off 1 thread - how much I faced the action, (this is pretty simple) then rechamber with a GOOD reamer, using good technique..

the problem then becomes you are in it for nearly the price of installing a new barrel, or there about

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Come to Louisiana. I charge $115.00 for that. By the way correcting any headspace problems IS done BEFORE the barrel is put on. It's not a extra charge. Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote