New
Find
Notify
Tools

Band of Bubbas-Shilen Swap Meet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We had a great time at Shilens! Hog Killer must have done the best as he was busy with earplugs all day. He did at least 8 Shilens! Jeffe received a lot of attention with his cartridges. Looked a little different than our BR cartridges. David Christman had 4 of his beautiful rifles on display. His Remington bolt gun fooled me and a lot of people. New bolt shroud, safety, checkered bolt handle, intergal scope bases, and contoured receiver body.It ain't like any Remington that I have seen. I believe that he sold his DeHaas-Miller falling block. He had my CZ550 in the white and it looks great, island rear sight, 3 pos safety, NECG frt sight, recoil lug on the barrel, and all that. He is ready to work on the stock inletting. It will be on a Roger Vardy Australian walnut blank. Ed Shilen displayed his #1 Shilen action repeater that he built when he was in New York in the early 60's. He can carve a stock! Dr. Tim had his weed wacker powered blender in action. Jeffe wanted to steal it. I met Les Brooks. He is a real nice guy. I got to meet a real nice gentleman named Nicholson I believe. He has shot every legal game animal in the world, from Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Alaska, and wherever. I think that about 100 people attended by the end of the day. A lot of the guys took advantage of the tours of the barrel shop. Mike Bryant commented that it sure was larger and better equiped that the other barrel shops that he had toured. The chubracaba Chili was chewy, but tasty. I met a lot of new guys and Shilen was pleased at the first swap meet and want to do it again next year. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bet it was a good time.

Sure sounds better than any of the local "gun shows" I've been to in the last few years... Red Face

Maybe next time...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn. And I love Chili.
Great to hear you had a good time.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Butch, for the sake of all the non-Texans who read the thread, you have to explain what a "Chupacabra" is---

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You better ask the Browning guy, he supplied the meat. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got to meet a real nice gentleman named Nicholson I believe. He has shot every legal game animal in the world, from Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Alaska, and wherever.

Names not familiar. That would be close to 650 different species. I don't think anybody has done that. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mickey you have started me on a mission. I am going to find out his whole name and just exactly what he has shot. I do know the walls of Shilens entry are covered with photos of many of his animals. You will get an answer in a couple days. Butch

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Butch, I only got to "plug" 7 of the Shilen gang. Maybe I can plug the rest of 'em sometime soon. I had a great time at the swap meet. thumb I think there should be a Spring meet as well. We do not want that Weedwhacker to lock up from lack of use. beer

Thanks for pulling this event together.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Butch,
Had a ball.. I thought my offer to help load Tim up was generous... Looked like he was a little heavy with the blender and the llama 45!!

wound up with a long night afterwards... need some sleep...

Enjoyed meeting all ya'll... with seeing Les, you, David, and several other folks being gret points in the day....

certainly was interesting show folks some brass... i don't think many of them believe i shoot those!! Butch Searcy told me once, about the 416 rem.."everyone needs a varmit gun"

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
I wish I could have rode over with Mr. David, it sounds like ya'll had a great time. I cant believe he sold the DeHaas Miller. Ever since I have known him he has talked about wanting one of those actions. It is a beutifull rifle. I sure would like to have seen the inner workings of Shilen too.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Thanks again for getting this thing started, and a million thanks to the Shilens for hosting it. Great to meet you, Jeffe, Keith, Tom, et al. Wonderful things to see (yes, the Reminton had me totally fooled - looked like a Sako to me), and many things learned from keeping my ears wide open. Wish I hadn't bugged out so early, as all I had to show for the end of the evening hunt was a smallish wabbit shot from under a trailer. Can't wait for next year.

sbow
(The only guy dumb enough to bring pistols to a rifle swap meet.)

Posts: 1 | Location: Tejas del norte | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
OK Butch, for the sake of all the non-Texans who read the thread, you have to explain what a "Chupacabra" is---

Chupacabra

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charles. You really need to see one to understand. Butch

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Charles has the Hollywood verson.

Here is a real and very dead one.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I've shared a good many of fine meal with
Mexican friends. I learned early on not to ask
what the meat really was. Generally it was whatever was slower than the cook.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Charles has the Hollywood verson.

Here is a real and very dead one.

Hog Killer

I just gave the frontal view -- you have to see the face to appreciate it. Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote