Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Duplicating Question (Les Brooks)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
My gunsmith (because of my prodding) has built a Les Brooks duplicator. If he has a pattern that he wants to duplicate the outside of it but the inletting of another haow do you reset it? It is going to be hard to get it all set back the same is it not?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wes,

It can be done, but here is the problem. The stock must have the same drop at the top of comb and the centers located in the exact spot. The distance from the end of the butt center point to the front guard screw must be the same. It is best to make up the pattern by cutting a junk blank and bond in the action with auto bondo to get the perfect inletting. This can be cut over size and then locate the action to be in the correct area for the dimensions. Hope this helps.

Les

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Les, as always, you are right.. i tried this a couple times.. and gave up.. it's easier to just hog out the pattern stock, bondo the to be rifle in, and cut it.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wes,

You didn't mention whether the patterns were of the same action type. If they are different I wouldn't try to copy them. Post some pictures of what you a trying to do and maybe I can help out.

If the fellow with the machine would let you post pictures of his machine it would be of interest to several on the AR forum.

I have a new mailing address and if anyone needs this info please PM me.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the shaper in question, but this is what I do.
If the length of pull is different, I add a block to the butt of the appropriate stock, to equalize them.
After I cut the inlet and forend, I then switch patterns, and zero on the top of the barrel channel, to the new pattern. It takes some time, but I do it often on carving blanks. Works well, and that is how many of our Serengeti stocks are roughed out.

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus

Ric Carter

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Wes,

You didn't mention whether the patterns were of the same action type. If they are different I wouldn't try to copy them. Post some pictures of what you a trying to do and maybe I can help out.

If the fellow with the machine would let you post pictures of his machine it would be of interest to several on the AR forum.

I have a new mailing address and if anyone needs this info please PM me.

He hasn't got to turn anything yet. He has been swamped with the fall rush since he completed the machine. We are trying to gather some patterns and were discussing how one would do the shape of a stock and then switch patterns to do the inleting.

Say for instance I want to copy a Whitworth pattern for my Model 70. We have a Whitworth stock to use as a pattern but of course it is inlet for a Mauser.

I was at his shop agan today and again I forgot my camera. He wouldn't have been able to run it anyway. He has been trying to find some cheap Walnut to get some practice but has resigned to the fact that he may just have to buy some blanks from someone.

Anyway after deer season he should be able to play some. I lease some country to graze yearlings on through the summer fairly close to the shop and so I am there more then. Hopefully by June I can post some of his finished projects!

Thanks again for all your help Les!

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote