New
Find
Notify
Tools

bedding Ruger 77 SS/Synthetic Stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Ruger 30-06 Model 77 with a synthetic stock. I don't know where to begin with bedding, free floating the barrel, etc. I've never done any "stock work" before, but I feel I'm capable of doing it - if I knew what to do. The fore-end is pretty much hollow. What do I do?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps bedding will improve the rifle, and that's what I was going to do with my Ruger .338 (boat paddle stock). Then I started thinking about all the work, so instead I replaced it a Hogue Rubber-Overmolded stock. I haven't shot the rifle (still snowing around here) but I am certain it will shoot at least as well or better than before. The cheaper of the Hogue stocks (pillar bedded) costs about $100.00 at Cabela's, while the one with full-aluminum bedding costs about $200.00.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Max503:
I have a Ruger 30-06 Model 77 with a synthetic stock. I don't know where to begin with bedding, free floating the barrel, etc. I've never done any "stock work" before, but I feel I'm capable of doing it - if I knew what to do. The fore-end is pretty much hollow. What do I do?

Ditto on the Hogue!! How does your 30-06 shoot? If it aint broke dont fix it?

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This rifle acts like there is a bedding problem. It strings shots and the point of impact moves (alot)as the barrel heats up. Besides, I hate that stock. It looks like something off of a toy rifle.
Is the 30-06 a long action or short action?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Max503:
This rifle acts like there is a bedding problem. It strings shots and the point of impact moves (alot)as the barrel heats up. Besides, I hate that stock. It looks like something off of a toy rifle.
Is the 30-06 a long action or short action?

Your 30-06 Ruger is a long action. You can get a Bell & Carlson Fiberglass stock for around $136.00 from Midsouth or bed the factory stock. McMillan makes one of the best stocks in the world but will cost you.

Good luck...James

Posts: 21 | Location: Mt.Cheaha | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote