New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 Action
 Login/Join

<wrangler>
posted
Can you change the Ruger block to take cases with the larger Weatherby rim, ie, the .378 and .460 (.580")? Are there going to be any problems with the extractor?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The block doesn't have to be changed.
The only thing that has to be changed is the extractor and they are available through most gunsmith suppliers, Brownell's has them.
Steve

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
When I did my #1 conversion (30-06 to 500 nitro) we opened up the existing extractor and modified the feed trough to suit the larger case and rim of the 500.
If you are thinking of using the rifle for DG at some stage it might be an idea to have a look around at some of the old flanged calibers, besides being nostalgic the rims are a definite plus for extraction, and the performance of a lot of the old calibres leave nothing to be desired and operate at much lower pressures.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I had my #1H in .458 Win rechambered to .460 WBY, they just modified the existing extractor.

Posts: 84 | Location: Southeast AZ | Registered: 25 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Intel6. I was just wondering what the cost was for rechambering to 460 wby on the ruger #1 458win
Thanks, Mark.
quote:
Originally posted by Intel6:
When I had my #1H in .458 Win rechambered to .460 WBY, they just modified the existing extractor.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rechambering and contouring the top of the locking block was $85 a few years ago.

Posts: 84 | Location: Southeast AZ | Registered: 25 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Intel6. Just wondered how strong the ruger action is after the rechambering. Have you done much load development for the 460wby on the #1 action?
Thanks,
Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
It should be as strong as it was originally, There is no real modification done to the action during the rechambering.

I did some load development and found 120 grs. of AA 4350 pushes a 500 gr. Hornady out right at 2,600 fps. and that was all I needed. That became my standard load. I have also pushed some 300 gr. JHP's out at 2,900 fos with AA 2520 but I mainly stick with the 500 gr. load.

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post

Do remember the name of the gunsmith who did the work on your ruger? I was hoping to find a good gunsmith to do the rechambering, and thought you could provide me with a good reference.
Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
E-gads! A modified factory barrel....A ten pound 460??? My fillings are getting looser just thinkin about it. See stars after you touch it off??

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes Scot, a 10 lb .460. It gives you a good thump but as I am 6'4" 270 lbs I shoot it regularly.

300 H&H,

I didn't know you were looking for someone to do the work. My .460 #1H was rechambered by a place in Montana called The Montana Rifleman. I went with them specifically because they had the reamer on hand and they specialize in #1's so I figured they would be a good choice. I was happy with the service and the price.
They used to have an ad in the Gun List. It was easy to spot because they listed all their different chamber reamers. I Still have all the info at home in AZ but I am temporarly in TX for my job so I can't get to it.

one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I know who you are talking about. I was on their website a while back, but I didn't check to see all the calibers listed. I will check them out again.
Thanks for your help.
Mark.