New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebony Plugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
where does one purchase those little round ebony plugs used to cover up crossbolt holes.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I make them with a plug cutting bit. PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a couple. They're a little rough and require trimming but should work fine when glued into place and finished. fla3006@yahoo.com

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I turn mine in the lathe to the dimension I have bored the stock to.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use the plugs or anything else visible, but many folks just use black epoxy instead. Appears identically the same and is lots simpler.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Oh shoot, I thought this was a post about plug wrangler Biden convincing the Messiah he needed to try some new plugs to help his ratings in the polls. animal

As for stockwork, I glue them on dowels and spin them like Kobe then align the wood grain with the stock.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, this is a post about my brother's rifle, which has developed severe cracks such that we had to use a bolt to hold the thing together. thought it would look nicer if we plugged up the holes.

J.D.

If you don't use plugs or anything else visible, what do you do instead?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
What works best and doesn't require unsightly cross bolts is a barrel mounted recoil lug, closely inletted/glassed into the forend.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FLA

little too late for that here. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I don't use the plugs or anything else visible, but many folks just use black epoxy instead. Appears identically the same and is lots simpler.
Regards, Joe

Might well be the simplest approach and does not look bad.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use internal crossbolts, sometimes allthread and other times old bolts-&-nuts, glassbedded into place behind the recoil lug and behind the magazine box. Also use an aluminum rod (~8") glassbedded into a deep hole drilled rearward from the rear upper tang recess down through the stock wrist parallel to the belly line, and of course tied into the rear guard screw pillar with more glass. The crossbolts for recoil, the wrist rod for resisting wrist breakage if dropped or the horse rolls on it or whatever. I do this on most of my hunting rifles but not the varminters. Also, on rifles with steel buttplates or heel-&-toe plates, I add another hidden internal aluminum rod in the stock toe for support to the point of the plate if dropped onto a hard surface.

Beware of using any unfinished in-the-white steel or other oxidizing metal in direct contact with wood, even through a glue layer. It will eventually rust, swelling and ultimately cracking the wood and possibly ruining the stock. I've never had this happen with one of mine but I take precautions.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am planning on a winter project to spruce my M70 375 H&H. Will add ebony tip and skeleton grip cap using ebony inlay. I would also like to remove the standard cross bolts and replace with something inlette deeper to accept ebony plug.

Would anybody be will willing to cut some oversise ebony plugs for me? Obviously would be willing to compensate.

Thanks F Bull

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who thinks exposed crossbolts look great on a rifle??

Confused

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Am I the only one who thinks exposed crossbolts look great on a rifle??

Confused

no you are not. I think they lok great exposed if in fact they are good looking crossbolts. However, if one is going to use a regular bolt and nut from the hardware store like I am , then you have to cover them up. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cut mine with a plug cutter too.
But, I can see Black Conop epoxy working too.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i don't like the look of exposed nuts, with the possible exception of the winchester "engraved" ones.. ebony, or epoxy, can be shaped to the stock, easily, which looks way better

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I cut mine with on a mill. 2 axis cnc any size
With the change of one number. .001 increments
if need be. The 2 axis proto trak is the most usefull tool in my shop. A 3/16 carbide end mill at 3000 rpm just zips those little plugs out perfectly. After that I saw the the plugs off the block with a .030 mill saw at 3000 rpm.
perfect, every time, no question about it. Big Grin
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they have an inletting draft?

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1825 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Itt is not needed if the holes are bored (true) and the plugs turned to a close dimension and epoxied in with the stuff died black.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
i don't like the look of exposed nuts, with the possible exception of the winchester "engraved" ones.. ebony, or epoxy, can be shaped to the stock, easily, which looks way better

I agree they must be shaped to the stock. The production rifle" crossbolts that don't follow the shape of the shock look like heck. I had a M70 in 416 and I though those engraved heads looked like garbage.

It is pretty easy to shape Talleys or B-squares to fit the stock. I have never done the plugs, but I would think that it is way more trouble to fit the plugs than it is to shape the crossbolts.

I guess I have always thought the plugs look a bit too "gingerbread".
sofa

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
What works best and doesn't require unsightly cross bolts is a barrel mounted recoil lug, closely inletted/glassed into the forend.

"Unsighlty cross bolts??" Where are you coming from? Many customers want cross bolts..even on a 270 for a canvas of tasteful engraving...plain black plugs look like just what it is...a cheap imitation of the real thing

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:

"Unsighlty cross bolts??" Where are you coming from? Many customers want cross bolts..even on a 270 for a canvas of tasteful engraving...plain black plugs look like just what it is...a cheap imitation of the real thing

+1

And I don't believe a barrel mounted lug precludes the need for cross-bolts fore and aft the magazine well. Regardless of where the recoil is transferred to the stock, assuming it is in front of the magazine well(in the fore end or at the action's recoil lug), the forces will tend to spread the magazine well outward. First the web behind the mag well splits, then the stock splits at the tang.

This seems to be common on rifles >375 that don't have a cross bolt behind the magazine.

Traditional crossbolts also compress the wood to some extent. This helps to resist the splitting forces. Internal crossbolts fashioned from all thread(without nuts) don't do this, so to some extent they are less effective.

OTOH, Jack Lott believed the internal bolts were stronger because they did not break the outer "shell" of the stock.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
On a fancy rifle, I like the exposed and engraved crossbolts. On a working rifle though, I like the plugged crossbolts - one less thing I need to worry about rusting.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try Wookcraft.com.

link

They have a line of "snappy" plug cutters that cut a tapered plug which should work for you.

Regards,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duane Wiebe: "Unsighlty cross bolts??" Where are you coming from? Many customers want cross bolts..even on a 270 for a canvas of tasteful engraving...plain black plugs look like just what it is...a cheap imitation of the real thing

To each his own. They look like an afterthought to me. I prefer not to use them at all, on any rifle. Barrel mounted recoil lugs for me. The rifle pictured above is a factory Whitworth, I had no choice about the unsightly steel cross bolt but had to do something about it so I recessed it and installed ebony plugs, which by-the-way fit perfectly even though they were made with a bit and not a lathe. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
Regards, Joe

Might well be the simplest approach and does not look bad.

I used to make ebony plugs with a drill press and plug cutting bit. Then I too found it easier to just fill it in with Acraglass gel dyed black. As the man said, can't tell the difference from good ebony, and the epoxy seems to change less with moisture uptake (i.e. they aren't proud one day and recessed the next compared to the stock wood around them).

I do use a ball end bit in a dremel tool to undercut the edge of the hole a few mm down, to make sure the plug never loosens up.

Best of luck.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Duane Wiebe: "Unsighlty cross bolts??" Where are you coming from? Many customers want cross bolts..even on a 270 for a canvas of tasteful engraving...plain black plugs look like just what it is...a cheap imitation of the real thing

To each his own. They look like an afterthought to me. I prefer not to use them at all, on any rifle. Barrel mounted recoil lugs for me. The rifle pictured above is a factory Whitworth, I had no choice about the unsightly steel cross bolt but had to do something about it so I recessed it and installed ebony plugs, which by-the-way fit perfectly even though they were made with a bit and not a lathe. Smiler

I agree with you that we all have different tastes. But if crossbolts look like an afterthought, what do the black plugs look like????

As you say, to each his own.

Jason

-Jason Brown

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the epoxy as it doesn't have to be very deep over the x-bolt to be stable but a plug requires the x-bolt to be recessed a bit deeper into the stock. Some stocks will split alongside the mag box, near the surface so a deep counterbore may defeat the effectiveness of a x-bolt.. I also like to use bronze or stainless threaded rod epoxied in place for invisible x-bolts so there is no rust problem.

Posts: 353 | Location: Southern Black Hills SD | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
JBrown: if crossbolts look like an afterthought, what do the black plugs look like????

Not as good as no plugs at all but better than a steel cross bolt. And they match the ebony forend tip.