THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred finish for laminate wood stocks?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Pretty much says it all. What is your choice?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minwax Wipe on Poly.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yep, spray on poly urethane; I use semi gloss, but whatever you like. Same as protecting anything made from plywood.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've only done one laminated stock, and I used Tru oil, just like I've used on all of my other walnut stocks.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Wiebe method using Daly's Seafin Teak Oil and rottenstone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glass thinned inside and out..Not that Im fond of it but its double tough, but difficult to apply and too glossy..

Laminate doesn't react well to wood finishing practices IMO...Its all but impossible to get the in the wood effect and it all settles on top of the laminate..so IMO a Poly finish like on the barn works best and its designed to water proof the laminate even more..Seems to work. Ive built a few laminate stocks, but they are too heavy for my taste..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated. Yep plywood is kind of a bitch.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Yep plywood is kind of a bitch.

Until it rains

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I did one yesterday; I use Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane.
Not hard at all; not like it was XXX English walnut.
Trying to finish it like a solid wood stock is a waste of time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the issue is the crap wood used in laminate stocks. There's an outfit here in Tacoma that can laminate Walnut (1/4" thick) laminates.

I haven't personally had reason to have one made up, but a friend has and..pretty spiffy..looks like real nice wood , even staring with plain stock

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds similar to what Kilimanjaro rifles advertise as "stealth lamination". Interesting concept to keep the beauty of walnut and the strength of laminate.
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
I think the issue is the crap wood used in laminate stocks. There's an outfit here in Tacoma that can laminate Walnut (1/4" thick) laminates.

I haven't personally had reason to have one made up, but a friend has and..pretty spiffy..looks like real nice wood , even staring with plain stock

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Yep plywood is kind of a bitch.

Until it rains

Then what happens ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nonsense; laminated wood will out last solid wood 100 to one in the rain or anywhere else.
And Crap wood? It is Birch; an excellent stock wood all buy itself; it is the only alternative allowed in US military stocks; no use trying to wish it was figured English Walnut. It is what it is; a superior stock material under all conditions,
There is a reason the Germans went to Laminated Beech in 1941, for 98ks and G43s. It is far stronger and more durable than walnut. Yes, slightly heavier. And no, it is not pretty. But not exactly ugly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpcd:
I did one yesterday; I use Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane.
Not hard at all; not like it was XXX English walnut.
Trying to finish it like a solid wood stock is a waste of time.[QUOTE]

That's all we use in the shop. It is a very durable product. A great feature of polyurethanes is that you can recoat in 10-15 minutes or less without having to wait for the previous coat to dry completly. Vastly speeds up production times. No sanding between coats that way.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Nonsense; laminated wood will out last solid wood 100 to one in the rain or anywhere else.
And Crap wood? It is Birch; an excellent stock wood all buy itself; it is the only alternative allowed in US military stocks; no use trying to wish it was figured English Walnut. It is what it is; a superior stock material under all conditions,
There is a reason the Germans went to Laminated Beech in 1941, for 98ks and G43s. It is far stronger and more durable than walnut. Yes, slightly heavier. And no, it is not pretty. But not exactly ugly.

DPCD:

I was actually saying the same thing; plywood might be a "bitch" until it rains, then you will be glad you have it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
I have this laminate stock on my 6br 100o yd benchrest rifle done in automotive clear coat.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mel Smart used to take any wood or stock you had and laminate it..He did a couple for me from Turkish walnut that had nice grain on one side and nothing on the other, he put the plain wood on the inside and the pretty stuff on the outside and it was damn nice..but Melt unfortunately passed away sometime ago, but I was told somebody took over his business..Maybe that's who Wayne made mention off..Id like to know, it was the only laminate I ever cared for.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I apologize for a bit of an off topic dumb question, but Ive got some left over wood floor coating that Ive considered trying on a stock. Just curious if any of you guys have ever tried that? The stuff has got to be hell for tough to hold up to being walked on for years at a time. And it looks great! Confused

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect it would work just fine, if not all you have to do is take it off and start over..I have used mostly Gun SAV_R from Brownells this last year on laminate and it works great on high dollar walnut, comes in gloss and satin in a spray can or paint can..I have used it to fill then come on top of that with Linseed with dryers to get that old world look..I like it and it lasts good thru rough use and wet weather on walnut, better than most Ive tried.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120