Notify
Tools

Feeding issue with Springfield action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
OK guys, someone educate me because I cannot figure this out. So, here we go:

I have a 7x57 Mauser that is chambered off of an 03A3 Springfield action. What happened was when I removed the bolt from the receiver, it got stuck (just slightly). With more force, I was able to successfully pull it out. Now, when trying to place it back in the receiver, it will not feed.

Essentially, it goes roughly three quarters of the way in, then it stops. There is roughly about half an inch of clearance in front of the bolt face before it closes shut completely, and rotates downward to the closed position. The extractor is in line down the right side of the bolt as it should be (int the proper position). Trust me when I tell you that the bolt is inserted the correct way before you try to feed it.

Any chance any of you guys could possibly guess what is wrong? Someone told me that it needs to be cocked again before trying to feed it? Do any of you happen to have any advice? I would be glad to post a video if needed so you all can see what I am talking about if that helps? I am only a young guy of 37 years of age, (seriously) so I am still trying to figure all of this out. The only way you learn is by asking questions. Next step, is to take it to my gunsmith...

Posts: 603 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Three times.

Posts: 17110 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ll jump in and give DCPD a much needed break

Posts: 1132 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trigger problems?

Too long of a scope mount screw?

Some bedding material on the ways?

I have owned up 10 03's and 03A3's at once.

The bolts normally just drop in.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Ram Rod,
See my reply in the custom section.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you damaged the magazine cutoff in removing the bolt?

Maybe post a couple pictures of the action where it sticks.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Now I can't find the thread.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
problem resolved...

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
What caused the problem?
What fixed it?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
This was asked at least 4 times; diluting and scattering questions only results in confusion and does not increase the chance of problem resolution.
I now read that the bolt shroud had been turned 90 degrees so the cocking piece was in the cocking notch in the bolt. It's really evident if that happens.
One picture, in the gunsmithing section, could have resolve that in one second. I also recommend the OP get a TM on Springfields. TM 9-1270.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
What caused the problem?
What fixed it?

The striker in the bolt was not cocked. Here was the issue:

The bolt sleeve (the cap on the rear end of the bolt) evidently gets misaligned when the striker isn't cocked and the bolt stops about 3/4 inch shy of the receiver ring. I had to take the bolt out, pull back (hard) on the cocking piece (the knob on the back of the bolt sleeve) twist it AND THE BOLT SLEEVE in a clockwise direction until the sleeve rotated and locked into the proper position. Afterwards, the bolt slid in without a problem. No we know. Thanks to Timan for helping me out on this one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ram Rod - FYI, that isn't a "feeding" issue, that is an issue with the bolt not going in... cartridges or no cartridges.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, just to be clear, Springfield bolt shrouds do not and cannot just rotate by themselves; they have a lock on the left side to prevent rotation, as must all bolt shrouds with three position safeties.
Someone pushed that little lock and rotated it counterclockwise.
It did not do it on it's own.
Now, for bolt disassembly, you place the safety in the middle position and press in on the lock; and easily unscrew the bolt shroud. For inspection, cleaning, firing pin replacement. I recommend the OP practice that.
Train on your equipment and familiarize with it. It will pay off in the field.

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
Ram Rod - FYI, that isn't a "feeding" issue, that is an issue with the bolt not going in... cartridges or no cartridges.

I stand corrected sir. Yes, you are absolutely right. I suppose I should have said it was a MALFUNCTION ISSUE. Please forgive me, as I am not an English Scholar.... Smiler