Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vais Muzzlebrake??
 Login/Join

posted
When I lived in Houston years ago I had a Vais muzzlebrake put on my rifle. I want another one for my new rifle and was searching for Vias muzzlebrakes on the web. When I did some searching, I found vaismuzzlebrakes.com. Does anyone know anything about this fiasco?

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Bizarre!

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a sad story if true.. George needs to get an attorney and start another Corporation under another business name, maybe Bartlets MFG, INC. He should make a new and modified brake that does not violate Bartlets "acquired Tradmark". I only know of two distributrs who sell the Vias Brake in bulk, Brownells and Midway. Do Frank Brownell (Brownells)and Larry Potterfield (MidwayUSA) know this story?

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was the afore mentioned outfit out of Hondo TX. ?. Where does " George " work out of ?.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deal with Mr. Bartlett. He is a very honest man and a craftsmen. He paid George for his business, patents, and or trademarks. Mr. Bartlett has won the court cases that has cost him considerably. George needs to leave it alone and get along with his life. I think that he is a talented person, but when you sell something, it is sold!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know neither party, but am inclined to go along with Butch.

ANY busienss owner who has had to waste serious time and money enforcing non-competes will have little sympathy for Mr. Vais. Everyone who has been burned by people who are very good at making emotional please to the public by giving them a very skewed, one sided, out of context story will side with Mr. Bartlett. This is just based on our life experiences.

Mr. Vais may be the nicest man in the world for all I know. But that has absolutley nothing to do with this case. Ignorance is no excuse, and it is the most common defense when someone later changes their mind. Any business owner who has spent enough money on legal fees to buy a couple of Holland and Hollands or Purdeys knows EXACTLY what I am talking about.

We also know enough to get both sides of the story.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I know George Vais and have had him work on many of my rifles. I would encourage posters on this thread to actually read the posting on George's web site and look at the claims that are made on that site. George has developed and patented improvements on the Vais Muzzle brake and now has two new models that are vastly improved from the old one with the small holes in the front of the brake. These two new brakes have a noise increase that it generally not detected by the human ear while improving the amount of recoil reduction. That eliminates the main knock on muzzle brakes of dangerous increase in noise.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where do you get the new brakes? I really don't build rifles with brakes, but a guy insisted on one one time and I used a Vais. It would have been his original design. Every man I talked to said they preferred it.

If they are really an improvement, then they must be good.

But of course this does nothing to change what I wrote about non-competes and contracts. Man, the brakes I could have bought with the time and money pissed away... Frowner

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchlambert ; Who is the out fit out of Hondo TX. ?. I simply wanted to purchase one for my new 7MM Mag . Not to get caught up in patent quarrels
. That why I asked who was who and where they were out of .

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. K-

Ron Bartlett of Vais Arms Inc. is in Hondo, Texas.

His web-site is: http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/index.htm

If you are going to buy a break, I would buy a Vais before I would buy any other.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
You can contact George Vais, the originator of the Vais muzzle brake, at High Tech Gunworks, 182 South Cole Road, Boise, ID, 83709 or at 208-323-7674. He has the latest versions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shall look into both for the Muzzle brake aspect not the controversy . archer Potato heads stick together , How do I know ?. I used to reside in the fine state of Potato's !. Gooding , Hagerman, Bliss , Boise . Been from top too bottom Sand Point too Rogers and back . Never met a potato head I didn't like nor could change .

I also understand about selling a business and having loyal persons thinking someone stole it and refusing to do business with the " Other party " . So when I say the Muzzle brake is the key , it will be JUST THAT !.
Thanks for the link as well as input from ya all .

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
I shall look into both for the Muzzle brake aspect not the controversy . archer Potato heads stick together , How do I know ?. I used to reside in the fine state of Potato's !. Gooding , Hagerman, Bliss , Boise . Been from top too bottom Sand Point too Rogers and back . Never met a potato head I didn't like nor could change .

I also understand about selling a business and having loyal persons thinking someone stole it and refusing to do business with the " Other party " . So when I say the Muzzle brake is the key , it will be JUST THAT !.
Thanks for the link as well as input from ya all .

Dr. K

If you've been to Gooding, Hagerman, and Bliss I hope you had the chance to do some rock chuck hunting there. Those areas are some of the best around. Find water, grass and rocks and bingo you have rockchucks. Interesting enough one of my hunting buddies put a New model Vais muzzlebrake on his 22-250 to reduce the recoil enough to see the bullet impact and to see why the guy spotting for him through a 60X spotting scope was laughing so much. Worked out very good with a reduce muzzle flip; not any louder but as we all know best to use ear protection whenever possible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunted chucks ,ducks ,geese, pheasants ,coyotes ,Deer also fished Billings creek as well as the Snake ,Salmon river , even caught " Blind Trout " out of 1K Springs in Hagerman . For those of you that don't know about the blind trout , supposedly the " River " disappears some where over by Crater of the Moon region above Pocatello, Idaho . archer

I was at launch site Post Falls taking photos when the "Evil K " attempted to jump the Snake in that modified steam powered cycle sled contraption !. I saw exactly what went wrong and still have the pictures to prove it . The parachute ripped open or deployed as the sled neared the end of the launch ramp . There by slowing his sled and altering his trajectory . Down into the canyon bank on the far side .
Talk about a Masochistic Whack job that was him !.

Boy does that bring back memories of BSU , Classes study countless Hr. of book time .

Also the Fun Girls from the farms , drinking skiing hunting fishing 4 wheeling with a Calif. long haired rebel . Boys those were some of the best days and NIGHTS !!.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
Hunted chucks ,ducks ,geese, pheasants ,coyotes ,Deer also fished Billings creek as well as the Snake ,Salmon river , even caught " Blind Trout " out of 1K Springs in Hagerman . For those of you that don't know about the blind trout , supposedly the " River " disappears some where over by Crater of the Moon region above Pocatello, Idaho . archer

I was at launch site Post Falls taking photos when the "Evil K " attempted to jump the Snake in that modified steam powered cycle sled contraption !. I saw exactly what went wrong and still have the pictures to prove it . The parachute ripped open or deployed as the sled neared the end of the launch ramp . There by slowing his sled and altering his trajectory . Down into the canyon bank on the far side .
Talk about a Masochistic Whack job that was him !.

Boy does that bring back memories of BSU , Classes study countless Hr. of book time .

Also the Fun Girls from the farms , drinking skiing hunting fishing 4 wheeling with a Calif. long haired rebel . Boys those were some of the best days and NIGHTS !!.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself here..... almost everone that spends time here does. BSU continues to produce the great football teams on that blue turf and is currently expanding the stadium. They beat Oklahoma last year in the Fiesta bowl to end up ranked 5th in some polls. I have four sons that either attended BSU or graduated from there and currently have one in dental school and one in medical school. That school is contining to grow and improve.

Billingsly Creek continues to produce trophy size trout and is fun to fish but can be hotting than blazes in the summertime down there.

Rock chuck hunting continues also to get better with access being easier to get from the farmers as you can visually see the eating patterns of the chucks in an alfalfa fields. Put a new Vais muzzle break on your shooter and come back to the Twin Falls to Burley area and blast some chucks. My buddy and I shot around 35+ in that area one day in the spring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tanks to the ones support me, and for the others i well understand they have been fooled the same way i have. Ron Bartlett ofer to me at the mediation to give to him the rights of my name and to drop the (fake charges on none compiting), my anser was "my name and my pride are not fo sale".That time i was not aware of the forget document.Bartlett was advertising my name as regiser trade mark for som time wile was not. Bartlett was using my name as his name in a varmint hunters magasine.I feel to some degree responsible fo trusting him as a friend but i am very angry and i will never forget the forge document to steel my name,and for calling my ex wife him and his attorney Wayne Colton and generating serius financial problem to me. Bartlett my thing is over with his grime but i say his troble it just starting ...."MY NAME AND MY PRIDE AR NOT FOR SALE."

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you onboard George, keep us informed...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by real Vais:
Tanks to the ones support me, and for the others i well understand they have been fooled the same way i have. Ron Bartlett ofer to me at the mediation to give to him the rights of my name and to drop the (fake charges on none compiting), my anser was "my name and my pride are not fo sale".That time i was not aware of the forget document.Bartlett was advertising my name as regiser trade mark for som time wile was not. Bartlett was using my name as his name in a varmint hunters magasine.I feel to some degree responsible fo trusting him as a friend but i am very angry and i will never forget the forge document to steel my name,and for calling my ex wife him and his attorney Wayne Colton and generating serius financial problem to me. Bartlett my thing is over with his grime but i say his troble it just starting ...."MY NAME AND MY PRIDE AR NOT FOR SALE."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Deal with Mr. Bartlett. He is a very honest man and a craftsmen. He paid George for his business, patents, and or trademarks. Mr. Bartlett has won the court cases that has cost him considerably. George needs to leave it alone and get along with his life. I think that he is a talented person, but when you sell something, it is sold!
Butch

Mr.Buch Lambert it dos look like you ar a friend of Bartlett.Will be a good advice to read my web side and you my learn something before Bartlett do to you some similar. www.vaismuzzlebrakes.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[
quote:
Originally posted by real Vais:
Thanks to the ones support me, and for the others i well understand they have been fooled the same way i have. Ron Bartlett ofer to me at the mediation to give to him the rights of my name and to drop the (fake charges on none compiting), my anser was "my name and my pride are not fo sale".That time i was not aware of the forget document.Bartlett was advertising my name as regiser trade mark for som time wile was not. Bartlett was using my name as his name in a varmint hunters magasine.I feel to some degree responsible fo trusting him as a friend but i am very angry and i will never forget the forge document to steel my name,and for calling my ex wife him and his attorney Wayne Colton and generating serius financial problem to me. Bartlett my thing is over with his crime but i say his troble it just starting ...."MY NAME AND MY PRIDE AR NOT FOR SALE."
[/QUOTE]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just called Bush on my BAT PHONE and straightened this thing out for you.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A business sold is exactly that !. How ever a Mans Name Sake is another matter ALL together .
archer
A product is just that a material purchase . A persons name as well as their pride are judgments to their character . There for should NEVER be for sale in my opinion !.

Thank You George ; I know now who I shall be dealing with !.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Pretty obvious to me that the Vais signature on document 1 and 2 on his web site are the exact same and the Bartlett signatures are very different. Somebody is pulling some $hit here. Wonder who????? homer

As far as muzzle brakes go just drill 4-5 3/16" dia holes 8 times around and you have a functional brake that can't really be improved very much. To me all the razzle dazzle is just fluff. Doesn't make them work any better. They're still way too loud for me and they blast the paint off the hood of my truck. I've built many different variations while in gunsmithing school and they all make your ears feel like they're bleeding. Lost interest and don't use them much at all any more.

Concerning the trademark stuff, try looking up "viking" at the trademark office and see how many variations you can come up with. Doesn't take much alteration to register a new t-mark with the same name.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I just printed out pages 2 and 3 from the real Vais web site. Holding the Vais signatures over each other on top of my computer screen, it is VERY CLEAR that the signatures are the same. The only difference that I can find is that the the scale of the two documents are different. If these are the real documents then someone is clearly getting buggered.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:

I just printed out pages 2 and 3 from the real Vais web site. Holding the Vais signatures over each other on top of my computer screen, it is VERY CLEAR that the signatures are the same. The only difference that I
can find is that the the scale of the two documents are different. If these are the real documents then someone is clearly getting buggered.

Thank you James.Is very truth any body can make a muzzle brake,but what made me famous is, i have done th quietest, to worth the risk to Ron Bartlett to forge a document to steal my name,and to stop me of manufacturing and sealing muzzle brakes. His frients and advisers also warn him it i probably make ivan a better one.One of his advisersname have a post above.At the moment i have 2 patented muzzle brakes.One is called magnum,is quieter and more recoil effective of the one Bartlett is making under my name, the other is called Hunters brake,that one is so quiet and users sweare there is no sound increase,and also effective as well on recoil.For the forget document Bartlett say the scraching and initialing was done by him 15 months later after he signet the document.My attorney Don Rutherford from san Antonio texas lie to me,he told me it he took the forget document to the F.B.I. to examine so will used as evidence at the court and was not done in time.i diskover through the F.B.I.that was a lie.Bartlett wil not tel as if pay him more than i or was something els.There is a very good lab in north Carolina and and the can prove the truth.Bartlett will pay high price for every muzzle he have sol under my name .Forgive me all of you for my not goot ingles,my web side explain all that. www.vaismuzzlebrakes.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I just called Bush on my BAT PHONE and straightened this thing out for you.

Find something smarter to say.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,
Mr. Bartlett is not a friend. He is a person that is a pleasure to deal with and sells a great product. As Marc said above, get on with your life. I understand that you are a talented person. I have no doubt of that and encourage you continue with new products or whatever. This bitterness will not help you.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
George,
Mr. Bartlett is not a friend. He is a person that is a pleasure to deal with and sells a great product. As Marc said above, get on with your life. I understand that you are a talented person. I have no doubt of that and encourage you continue with new products or whatever. This bitterness will not help you.
Butch

Mr Butch Lambert it dos look like you did not read my web side please spend litle time to read it.Bartlett was acting to me like a very good fiend but that has proven to be wrong.Bartlett forge a document to steal the rights of my name ,and also Bartlett and his attorney from San Antonio Texas both they were calling and lien to my ex wife and created serius financial problem and you are teling me he is a good man and to forget all that.Not me Bartlett made the biggest mistake of his life,specially stealing the rights of my name.Just like i told him MY NAME AND MY PRIDE AR NOT FOR SALE.Bartlett will pay vey high price.I remind you please read my web side.www.vaismuzzlebrakes.com

posted Hide Post
DR.K
I have no dog in the issue here. My son and I make most of the brakes requested by customers.

I too, was there when Evel attemped the jump. My thoughts are he paniced when he hit the ramp. The story of getting his sleave caught on the release lever, I think is pure bull shit. Can't fault him either way. A little bit of sanity set in at the last moment.??

Alan

Posts: 29 | Location: NH | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure that I completely understand. When you sell your business, you sell everything there is about it. Basically, you are buying the hard assets like machinery, materials and the like, as well as the product innovation/design, reputation of both the product and the people behind the product and most times even the name of the business owner IF his name is associated with the name of the business. My uncle sold our long held family business called "seiders printing" and the new owners kept the name exactly the same since it was well known in the business and the area for nearly 100 years. Thats what you are buying when you buy a business...the success of another man/men. You sold and he paid. Mr. Vias please get on with your life lest you die a miserable person and the world will not care. You are taking time, money and effort AWAY from your talents which you need to continue your good name. The ONLY people who are happy to keep this dispute going are both the lawyers involved. They are very good at keeping the two of you at each others throats...for THEIR benefit. Mr. Vias, take a few weeks vacation and enjoy it, and think about what you REALLY want to do for the rest of your life...I will bet that it is not to fight thru court for a cause or a principle. Many a lawyer has gotten very rich because of men that think just like you. BTW, I don't know either of you.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
I'm not sure that I completely understand. When you sell your business, you sell everything there is about it. Basically, you are buying the hard assets like machinery, materials and the like, as well as the product innovation/design, reputation of both the product and the people behind the product and most times even the name of the business owner IF his name is associated with the name of the business. My uncle sold our long held family business called "seiders printing" and the new owners kept the name exactly the same since it was well known in the business and the area for nearly 100 years. Thats what you are buying when you buy a business...the success of another man/men. You sold and he paid. Mr. Vias please get on with your life lest you die a miserable person and the world will not care. You are taking time, money and effort AWAY from your talents which you need to continue your good name. The ONLY people who are happy to keep this dispute going are both the lawyers involved. They are very good at keeping the two of you at each others throats...for THEIR benefit. Mr. Vias, take a few weeks vacation and enjoy it, and think about what you REALLY want to do for the rest of your life...I will bet that it is not to fight thru court for a cause or a principle. Many a lawyer has gotten very rich because of men that think just like you. BTW, I don't know either of you.

Bartlett forge a documend to steel the rights of my name. That has to be enough for every one to hate him and to understand the howled thing was a fraud. I have made very good statemens many times specialy in my web side I dont understand some of you folks.You dont care abowt crime and specialy forgery? I am sure you will care when happen to you. Read my web side. www.vaismuzzlebrakes.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Vias, with all due respect...and I mean that, what I just read confirms my belief that you need to reread my advice above. Don't you see what this has already cost you? The first mistake you made as a businessman was not...dare I say it...getting a LAWYER to draw up LEGAL documents. That is your only protection. The 2nd mistake...trusting ANYONE when it involves monetary matters. No, not your friends, or your relatives...not even your own kin....no-one....period. You are not the first to learn this very destructive lesson and certainly won't be the last. But learn this lesson......life is not always fair and you MUST know when to throw in the towel. I truly believe that time has come. You now have just 2 options. 1. Continue on this path of personal destruction. 2. Realize you have made a mistake...or several of them, can't afford to waste any more money or time correcting it...(its already destroying you financially) and you still need to live your life to the fullest and not waste whats left of it. Now, choose your destiny Mr. Vias.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say up front that I have no dog in this fight. I know neither man. I do not even own, nor ever will, a rifle with a muzzle brake.

But I must say, I went to the www.vaismuzzlebrakes.com site and it is clear, to me, that documents 2 and 3 posted on the site are fakes, from the posted pictures. Here is why I say it:

1. Document 1 is clean and devoid of any shadows or photo-editing "smudges" that occur in photo-edited doeuments. You can see these shadows around both documents 2 and 3. They occur around all of the text as well as the signatures. The smudging also occurs above line 1.

2. The lines on document 1 are all straight, showing no digital manipulation. On document 2, the line under the last three 9s has been altered and is no longer straight. The same is true for the line under the signature of Mr. Bartlett on document 2.

3. The signatures on document 1 and 2 are not just close, they are identical. I don't care how good someone is, they do not sign two documents EXACTLY the same two times, and especially not two different people on the same documents. Doesn't happen. One set, I contend document 2, is a photoshop item. The signature on document 3 is not even close to the ones on documents 1 and 2.

4. The signature line in document 3 appears to have been photoshop doctored for the Vais signature. There are several breaks in the signature line, and parts of it that no longer appear straight, but drawn in. There are also several breaks in the line. These breaks happen to coincide with locations where the Vais signature in document 1 happens to cross the line.

The 9s in the second document have been altered. The second 9 has been "thinned" by the photoshop paintbrush or eraser, as has the bottom of the third 9. This caused the re-draw of the line beneath them.

If I, as an amateur with photoshop, can see these things, I would not take these particular documents into court.

I know I will get flamed, but that is how I see it. I tried to see it as document 2 was the original and everything was cleaned up for document 1, but I just couldn't make it work.

I will have to agree with Woodrow. I would move on, if I was Mr. Vais.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr.Vais.
a good MAN can come back bigger better stronger, wiser.
On the technical side of things,how does your system compare to BPtec, do you have any impartial analysis/efficiency views of the BP Tec sytem you may care to share with us?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a look my own self ; it appears to me something is not quite right with all the documents either .

George " Real people " will deal with You !.

I do strongly suggest moving on , it's just advice but is worth while .

Putting it behind YOU will only make you that much better of a Man !. I can understand it's a HARD PILL to swallow but once it's gone YOU'LL FEEL MUCH BETTER !. archer

Many years ago I was much younger and naive , attending college as well as working part time for a large Chemical company .
I along with 3 other people developed a product which revolutionized the Painting and chemical coating industry . I NEVER received a DIME or credit nor did any of my colleagues !.

How ever the University got a HUGE Grant from the Chemical Giant !. In other words we got shit on !. I learned from that experience , he who manufactures first WINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Screw ALL the Patent holders because if anyone has held a patent and has ever had someone else violate that patent , they know how the patent court allows another party to proceed for a period of time so as to reduce inventory and material !.

Be the First and The Best , screw the rest !.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Mr. Vais, I am sorry for your trouble, but you only published an excerpt of the 5th Circuit decision on your website.

Here is the entire decision. It does not reflect well on any of your claims.

United States Court of Appeals

Fifth Circuit

F I L E D

REVISED SEPTEMBER 30, 2004

August 26, 2004

IN THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS

Charles R. Fulbruge III

Clerk

FOR THE FIFTH CIRCUIT

No. 03-50287

VAIS ARMS, INC.,

Plaintiff - Appellee,

versus

GEORGE VAIS

Defendant - Appellant.

Appeal from the United States District Court for the Western

District of Texas, San Antonio Division

(SA-01-CA-0868-EP)

BEFORE JOLLY, WIENER, and PICKERING Circuit Judges.

WIENER, Circuit Judge. Defendant-Appellant George Vais appeals from the district court's grant of summary judgment and entry of permanent injunction in favor of Plaintiff-Appellee Vais Arms, Inc. on claims for (1) unfair competition under § 43(a) of the Lanham Act, (2) trademark dilution and injury to business reputation under the Texas commercial code, (3) trademark infringement and unfair competition under Texas common law, and (4) breach of a covenant not to compete ("non-compete agreement") under the Texas commercial code. We affirm. I. FACTS AND PROCEEDINGS From 1996 until May 15, 2000, Defendant-Appellant George Vais ("George") manufactured and sold firearm muzzle brakes1 through his unincorporated proprietorship, "Vais Arms." During that time, George moved his business to various locations across the United States, including Houston, Texas; Boise, Idaho; Prescott, Arizona; and finally, Kerrville, Texas. He marketed his muzzle brakes primarily through telephone and mail order catalogues, recognizing sales throughout the United States, as well as in some foreign countries.

During the early days of the operation of his business, George developed a severe allergy to household and industrial chemicals and solvents, including those he used in the manufacture of his muzzle brakes. In summer 1999, George's condition worsened significantly, and he decided to leave the United States and return to his native Greece in the hope that the change in environment would improve his health. In preparing for his departure, George asked Ronald Bartlett ("Bartlett"), a gunsmith at a nearby San Antonio sporting goods outlet, whether he would be interested in purchasing George's muzzle brake business and continuing the production and sale of Vais muzzle brakes. Bartlett ultimately agreed to purchase George's business and formed the plaintiff corporation "Vais Arms, Inc." for that purpose.

On December 30, 1999, George and Bartlett executed a Bill of Sale in which "Vais Arms," as seller, agreed to sell to "Vais Arms, Inc.," as buyer, all of Vais Arms's assets and equipment, for a lump sum payment of $40,000. The Bill of Sale specified that the transfer would take place on May 15, 2000. It also referenced an attached exhibit listing the assets and equipment to be sold. The total cost of the items listed was $39,848.97, roughly $150 less than the amount of the purchase price.

In addition, the parties executed an Attachment to the Bill of Sale which reads as follows: The following is agreed to by George Vais and Ronald Bartlett 1. George Vais agrees to the following: A. To get a trade name patent for Vais Arms, Inc. and include it in the sale of assets.

B. To help move the equipment to the new location and make sure everything works. To give instructions for the first two weeks after the move.

C. If Ronald Bartlett dies before the transfer of all assets, all payments on the note will be refunded to Ronald's estate.

2. Ronald Bartlett agrees to the following: A. If George dies before all payments are made on the note, Ronald will make remaining payments on the note to a trust fund for George's children, This trust fund will be established by George's estate.

Finally, the parties executed a non-compete agreement which states, in pertinent part: Non-Compete Covenant. For a period of 10 years after the effective date of this Agreement, George Vais Arms will not directly or indirectly engage in any business that competes with Vais Arms, Inc..

This covenant shall apply to the geographical area that includes all U.S. states and countries which are included in the current customer bases.

Vais Arms, Inc. immediately began operations on May 15, 2000.

For approximately two weeks thereafter, George worked alongside Bartlett in Bartlett's store, assisting him in the production of the muzzle brakes. When Vais Arms, Inc. became fully operational, George went home to Greece.

Vais Arms, Inc. soon began marketing its muzzle brakes nationwide and, like its predecessor, Vais Arms, quickly recognized sales throughout this country. Early in 2001, however, George returned from Greece and began manufacturing and marketing muzzle brakes under the VAIS mark.

In March 2001, after receiving a series of customer inquiries prompted by George's national advertising campaign, Bartlett applied for federal registration of the VAIS trademark in connection with "firearms components and accessories, namely muzzle brakes." George filed a notice of opposition. As of the time of this appeal, Bartlett's application was still pending.

In September 2001, Vais Arms, Inc. filed suit in the district court alleging that George's use of the VAIS mark infringed Vais Arms, Inc.'s rights as senior user of the mark and that George's sales and marketing efforts violated the terms of the non-compete agreement. Vais Arms, Inc. brought claims for (1) unfair competition under § 43(a) of the Lanham Act,2 (2) trademark dilution and injury to business reputation under § 16.29 of the Texas Business and Commerce Code,3 (3) breach of the non-compete agreement under § 15.50 of the Texas Business and Commerce Code,4 and (4) trademark infringement and unfair competition under Texas common law. A year later, Vais Arms, Inc. filed a motion for summary judgment on all its claims. It also filed a motion for a preliminary injunction prohibiting George from using the VAIS mark in connection with the sale of muzzle brakes and from manufacturing, selling, and marketing firearm muzzle brakes in contravention of the non-compete agreement.

In January 2003, the district court granted summary judgment in favor of Vais Arms, Inc. on its claims for unfair competition, trademark dilution and injury to business reputation, and trademark infringement and unfair competition under Texas common law ("the trademark claims"). The district court based its decision on a determination that no genuine issue of material fact existed as to whether George had abandoned the VAIS mark in selling his business to Bartlett and leaving the country. The court declined to grant summary judgment in Vais Arms, Inc.'s favor as to its claim for breach of the non-compete agreement, however, choosing instead to hold the motion in abeyance pending further briefing on the reasonableness of the agreement's geographic and temporal limitations. Accordingly, the district court entered a preliminary injunction prohibiting George's use of the VAIS mark but reserved ruling on Vais Arms, Inc.'s request for an injunction enforcing the terms of the non-compete agreement.

Following further briefing on the reasonableness of the temporal and geographic limitations of the non-compete agreement, the district court granted Vais Arms, Inc.'s motion for summary judgment on its claim for breach of the non-compete agreement. The court also permanently enjoined George from competing with Vais Arms, Inc. in the manufacturing and marketing of firearm muzzle brakes anywhere in the United States until May 15, 2010. After judgment was entered in its favor, Vais Arms, Inc. filed a motion to alter or amend the judgment to make permanent the court's earlier injunction prohibiting George's use of the "VAIS" mark.

Before the district court could rule on that motion to alter or amend, however, George filed a motion to reconsider the grant of summary judgment on Vais Arms, Inc.'s trademark claims. George advanced that Vais Arms, Inc. waived its abandonment argument by failing to assert it in its complaint, and that he had not had adequate time to respond to Vais Arms, Inc.'s abandonment argument before the district court granted summary judgment. George noted that the issue of abandonment was raised for the first time in Vais Arms, Inc.'s reply brief. The district court rejected George's first ground for reconsideration but allowed the parties additional time to submit supplemental briefs and evidence on abandonment.

After considering the supplemental briefing and evidence on abandonment, the district court determined that no genuine issue of material fact existed as to whether George had abandoned the mark.

Accordingly, the court denied George's motion to reconsider its prior grant of summary judgment on Vais Arms, Inc.'s trademark claims. The court then granted Vais Arms, Inc.'s motion to alter or amend the judgment and permanently enjoined George from using the mark in connection with the manufacturing, marketing, or selling of firearm muzzle brakes. The court denied George's motion to stay the injunction pending appeal.

George timely filed notices of appeal from the district court's rulings granting summary judgment, enjoining his use of the VAIS mark, and enjoining his activities in contravention of the non-compete agreement.

II. ANALYSIS A. Standard of Review We review de novo a district court's grant of summary judgment.5 B. Trademark Abandonment George asserts that genuine issues of material fact exist as to whether he abandoned the VAIS mark when he sold his business to Bartlett and moved back to Greece. He argues that, as a result, the district court erred in holding that Vais Arms, Inc. was the senior holder of the mark and granting summary judgment on Vais Arms, Inc.'s trademark claims. Specifically, George contends that (1) as a matter of law, a person cannot abandon his surname, and (2) even assuming arguendo that a person can abandon his surname, genuine issues of material fact exist as to whether he intended to abandon the VAIS mark. Because he did not argue before the district court that a person cannot abandon his surname, George has waived this argument on appeal.6 We therefore consider only whether a genuine issue of material fact exists as to George's intent to abandon.

As a threshold matter, George reasserts on appeal his argument that in the district court Vais Arms, Inc. waived the issue of abandonment by raising it for the first time in its reply to George's memorandum in opposition to Vais Arms, Inc.'s motion for summary judgment. George cites the Sixth Circuit's decision in Atlas Supply Company v. Atlas Brake Shops, Inc. for the proposition that abandonment is "an affirmative defense which must be pleaded; otherwise it is deemed waived."7 As the district court aptly noted, however, Vais Arms, Inc. does not raise the issue of abandonment as a defense but as a means to show a break in the chain of priority, i.e., that it has become the senior holder of the mark and is therefore entitled to bring claims for infringement and dilution.8 In that posture, Vais Arms, Inc. was not required to plead abandonment in its complaint, and Atlas is inapposite.

1391 (9th Cir. 1996), superseded by 85 F.3d 407 (9th Cir. 1996).

Abdul-Jabbar is distinguishable. Unlike the VAIS mark, the surname at issue in Abdul-Jabbar was not a trademark, as the plaintiff had not used the name for commercial purposes for more than ten years prior to filing suit. See id. at 411.

7 360 F.2d 16, 18 (6th Cir. 1966).

8 See J. THOMAS MCCARTHY, MCCARTHY ON TRADEMARKS AND UNFAIR COMPETITION §17:4 (4th ed. 2004)("abandonment may become significant in a number of possible legal situations [including the situation where] "abandonment result[s] in a break in the chain of priority where the parties each claim prior use").

George's procedural contention that he was denied an adequate opportunity to respond to Vais Arms, Inc.'s abandonment argument is equally unpersuasive. The record establishes that the district court permitted him to file a supplemental memorandum on the issue of abandonment along with any additional evidence in his favor.

Although we have not comprehensively identified all the circumstances under which a district court may rely on arguments and evidence presented for the first time in a reply brief, we have stated that "Rule 56(c) merely requires the court to give the nonmovant an adequate opportunity to respond prior to a ruling."9 Further, those circuits that have expressly addressed this issue have held that a district court may rely on arguments and evidence presented for the first time in a reply brief as long as the court gives the nonmovant an adequate opportunity to respond.10 As the district court allowed George such an opportunity, he cannot now complain that he was prejudiced by Vais Arms, Inc.'s failure to raise the issue until its reply.11 As for the substance of George's arguments, he contends that genuine issues of material fact exist on whether he intended to abandon the VAIS mark when he sold his business to Bartlett and moved home to Greece. Under the Lanham Act, a mark is deemed "abandoned" [w]hen its use has been discontinued with intent not to resume such use. Intent not to resume may be inferred from circumstances. Nonuse for three consecutive years shall be prima facie evidence of abandonment. "Use" of a mark means the bona fide use of that mark made in the ordinary course of trade, and not made merely to reserve a right in a mark.12 The party asserting abandonment must establish that the owner of the mark both (1) discontinued use of the mark and (2) intended not to resume its use. The burden of proof is on the party claiming abandonment.13 The parties do not dispute that George discontinued his use of the mark when he sold his business to Bartlett and departed for Greece. Rather, the sole point of contention is whether, in so doing, George possessed the requisite intent to abandon his proprietary right to the VAIS mark.14 To support its contention that George intended to abandon the mark, Vais Arms, Inc. filed numerous declarations and affidavits from George's former customers in which the declarants or affiants expressed their belief, and the facts on which these beliefs were grounded, that when George sold his business, he had no intention of reentering the muzzle brake business in this country. In addition, Vais Arms, Inc. introduced into evidence an October 2000 shooting magazine article about George's retirement from the muzzle brake business and the transfer of his business to Bartlett. The article describes George's longtime struggle with his allergy to household and industrial chemicals including those used in the manufacture of muzzle brakes and his belief that by moving back to his native Greece he could improve his condition. The article makes no mention whether George intended ever to return to the United States or ever to resume his trade, either in the United States or abroad.

For his part, George produced nothing but his own self-serving affidavit, in which he states that he had developed a condition known as "multiple chemical sensitivity" and had left for Greece in the hope that the "clean environment" there would improve his health. He further states conclusionally that he did not "intend to abandon [his] business name of Vais Arms" and that he had "hoped to return after a stay in Greece to pursue []his craft [of manufacturing muzzle brakes]." As objective evidence of his intent not to abandon the mark, George stated that he asked Bartlett to strike out provision 1(A) of the Attachment to the Bill of Sale prior to signing. This provision reads: "George Vais agrees to the following: A. To get a trade name patent [sic] for Vais Arms, Inc. and include it in the sale of assets." A review of the Attachment confirms that the provision was, in fact, struck-out and initialed by Bartlett. This strike-out is not dated.

Bartlett does not contest that he struck-out and initialed provision 1(A). He insists, however, that he did not strike out the provision prior to George's signing the Bill of Sale in December of 1999, as George avers, but did so early in March 2000 to reflect that he no longer held George responsible for registering the VAIS mark. Thus, he asserts, this act cannot be construed as evidence that George lacked the requisite intent to abandon, only that Bartlett would assume responsibility for registering the mark.

That intent is determined by an objective test is too well settled to require citation. Viewing the summary judgment evidence in the light most favorable to George as non-movant including an assumption that the strike-out occurred, as he contends, at the signing in December, 1999 we agree with the district court's determination that George failed to establish that a genuine issue of material fact exists as to his intent to abandon the VAIS mark.

George's vague, self-serving statements in his affidavit to the effect that he "hoped" to regain his health in Greece and return one day to his "craft of manufacturing muzzle brakes" is not sufficient to raise a genuine issue of material fact as to the element of intent, particularly when viewed in light of Vais Arms, Inc.'s overwhelming evidence of abandonment. "[T]he owner of a trademark cannot defeat an abandonment claim . . . by simply asserting a vague, subjective intent to resume use of a mark at some unspecified future date."15 At most, George's affidavit establishes only his subjective, uncommunicated desire not to abandon the mark, without any indication of when or how he intended to resume its commercial use; it does not establish a genuine issue as to his intent to abandon.

Neither does Bartlett's striking out of provision 1(A) in the Attachment raise a genuine issue of material fact as to the element of intent to abandon the mark. That provision referred to George's duty to procure a "trade name patent" and to "include it in the sale of assets"; it says nothing about the actual transfer of the trade name itself. Neither does it make the transfer due at signing, only at some unidentified time in the future. Thus, even assuming that the provision was stricken at or prior to George's signing the Bill of Sale, Bartlett's act of striking it out does not convey an understanding on the part of either party that the VAIS mark was not being transferred along with the sale of the business's other assets. Quite to the contrary, a reasonable reading of provision 1(A) in context of the whole transaction over the five months between the signing of the Bill of Sale and the effective date of the sale confirms that the provision was struck out by Bartlett solely to relieve George of the procedural hassle of registering the VAIS mark before he left the country for health reasons.

As George has failed to produce evidence that would establish the existence of a genuine issue of material fact whether he abandoned the VAIS mark, we affirm the district court's grant of summary judgment in favor of Vais Arms, Inc. on its trademark claims.

C. Non-Compete Agreement "The enforceability of a covenant not to compete is a question of law for the court."16 The Texas Covenants Not to Compete Act provides two criteria for the enforceability of such a covenant.17 It must (1) be "ancillary to or part of an otherwise enforceable agreement" and (2) contain "limitations as to time, geographical area, and scope of activity to be restrained that are reasonable and do not impose a greater restraint than is necessary to protect the goodwill or other business interest of the promisee."18 On appeal, George does not contest that the non-compete agreement was ancillary to the Bill of Sale or that the time limitation (10 years) was reasonable. He challenges only the geographic extent of its restriction. That provision, confected by an accountant, not a lawyer, reads: This covenant shall apply to the geographical area that includes all U.S. states and countries which are included in the current customer bases.

The district court, on Vais Arms, Inc.'s request, reformed this clause to include only "U.S. states"; Vais Arms, Inc. abandoned any claim to coverage of foreign countries.19 Nevertheless, George contends that the entire geographic limitation is unenforceable as written because it does not define the term "current customer bases," or, alternatively, that the phrase "current customer bases" is ambiguous and therefore a jury should determine its meaning. We disagree.

Albeit the geographic limiter was inartfully drafted, a plain reading confirms beyond quibble that the phrase "current customer bases" modifies only the foreign "countries" aspect of the geographic coverage not the "U.S. states" portion. Thus, the covenant as drafted covered (1) "all United States" and (2) any foreign countries in which George had a "current customer base," i.e. sales of muzzle brakes. By reforming the geographic limiter to cover only "U.S. states" in conformity with Vais Arms, Inc.'s voluntary abandonment of foreign coverage, the district court eliminated any potential interpretive issue with the modifier "current customer bases." Indeed, this reading of the geographic limitation is the only one that sensibly comports with the national character of the business that George sold. The record establishes that when George conducted the business, he advertised his muzzle brakes via nationally-distributed trade publications, mail order catalogues, and, importantly, the Internet. In addition, George does not contest that he marketed his products and enjoyed sales throughout the United States. Accordingly, to interpret this provision as requiring the parties to restrict the geographic limits of the covenant to just those states in which George had actually consummated one or more sales, while disregarding the nationwide scope of his marketing efforts, would be legally absurd. We are convinced that the court's interpretation of the geographic limitation is correct and that extending the coverage of the covenant to the fifty states of the Union is reasonable and comports with the objectively determined intent of the parties. The district court properly enjoined George from manufacturing and marketing his muzzle brakes within that geographic area.20 III. CONCLUSION No genuine issue of material fact exists as to whether George abandoned his rights to the VAIS mark in selling his business to Bartlett and relocating to Greece. We affirm the district court's grant of summary judgment and entry of permanent injunction in favor of Vais Arms, Inc. on its trademark claims. Further, we also agree that the geographic limitation imposed by the non-compete agreement as reformed by the district court is reasonable and enforceable.

We affirm the district court's grant of summary judgment on Vais Arms, Inc.'s claim for breach of the non-compete agreement, as well as the court's entry of a permanent injunction enforcing that agreement against Defendant-Appellant George Vais.

AFFIRMED.

CHARLES W. PICKERING, SR., Circuit Judge, concurring in part and dissenting in part.

I concur in all aspects of the majority opinion except the part dealing with the non-compete clause. In Texas, "[c]ourts generally disfavor noncompete covenants because of the public policy against restraints of t rade and the hardships resulting from interference with a person's means of livelihood." Zep Mfg. Co. v. Harthcock, 824 S.W.2d 654, 658 (Tex. App.­ Dallas 1992). I recognize that it is possible to have a valid non-compete clause; however, I would conclude that there is an ambiguity in this particular non-compete clause. A contract is ambiguous when its meaning is reasonably susceptible to more than one interpretation. Heritage Res. Inc. v. NationsBank, 939 S.W.2d 118, 121 (Tex. 1996). In this case, the agreement states that "[t]his covenant shall apply to the geographical area that includes all U.S. states and countries which are included in the current customer base." The phrase "which are included in the current customer base" could be read to apply only to the word "countries", or it could be read to apply to "all U.S. states and countries." Because the phrase is susceptible to more than one reasonable interpretation, the issue should be remanded to the district court for an appropriate determination. See Exxon Corp. v. West Texas Gathering Co., 868 S.W.2d 299, 302 (Tex. 1993) (explaining that cont ract ambiguities are fact questions to be submitted to a jury).

For the foregoing reasons I respectfully dissent as to that part of the majority opinion dealing with the non compete clause.

1 A muzzle brake is a device attached to the muzzle (exit end) of a gun barrel to reduce perceived recoil and barrel "bounce" that occurs when the gun is fired.

2 See 15U.S.C.A. § 1125(a)(Supp. 2004).

3 See TEX. BUS. & COMM. CODE ANN. § 16.29 (Vernon 2002 & Supp.

2004).

4 See TEX. BUS. & COMM. CODE ANN. § 15.50 (Vernon 2002 & Supp.

2004).

5 See Markos v. City of Atlanta, 364 F.3d 567, 570 (5th Cir. 2004).

6 See Ellison v. Software Spectrum, Inc., 85 F.3d 187, 191 (5th Cir. 1996). We observe, however, that had George preserved this issue for appeal, we would rule against him. A surname is classified as a descriptive word mark. See Perini Corp. v. Perini Constr., Inc., 915 F.2d 121, 124 (4th Cir. 1990). As such, "one who claims federal trademark rights in a [surname] must prove that the name has acquired a secondary meaning." Id. at 125; see also Chevron Chem. Co. v. Voluntary Purchasing Groups, Inc., 659 F.2d

695, 702 (5th Cir. 1981). "[A s]econdary meaning exists if in fact a substantial number of present or prospective customers understand the designation when used in connection with a business to refer to a particular person or business enterprise." Perini, 915 F.2d at

125 (quoting Food Fair Stores, Inc. v. Lakeland Grocery Corp., 301 F.2d 156, 160-61 (4th Cir. 1962)). Once it is established that a surname has acquired a secondary meaning, however, it "becomes a trade name or service mark subject to the rule of priority in order to prevent deception of the public," and accordingly is susceptible of abandonment. John R. Thompson Co. v. Holloway, 366 F.2d 108,

113 (5th Cir. 1966)("a man has no absolute right to use his own name, even honestly, as the name of his merchandise or his business"). Further, George's reliance on the Ninth Circuit's decision in Abdul-Jabbar v. Gen. Motors Corp. as support for his proposition that a person cannot abandon his surname is misplaced. See 75 F.3d

9 Southwestern Bell Tel. Co. v. City of El Paso, 346 F.3d 541,

545 (5th Cir. 2003).

10 See, e.g., Seay v. Tenn. Valley Auth., 339 F.3d 454, 481-482 (6th Cir. 2003)("the purposes of notice and opportunity to respond extend Rule 56(c) to the situation where the moving party submits in a reply brief new reasons and evidence in support of its motion for summary judgment, and require a district court to allow the nonmoving party an opportunity to respond"); Booking v. Gen. Star Mgmt. Co., 254 F.3d 414, 418 (2d Cir. 2001)("Rule 28 of the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure . . . has no analogue in the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, and in most cases trial judges can provide parties with an adequate opportunity to respond to particular arguments by ordering additional briefing."); Beaird v. Seagate Tech., Inc., 145 F.3d 1159, 1164 (10th Cir. 1998)("when a moving party advances in a reply new reasons and evidence in support of its motion for summary judgment, the nonmoving party should be granted an opportunity to respond")(citing Cia. Petrolera Caribe, Inc. v. Arco Caribbean, Inc., 754 F.2d 404, 410 (1st Cir. 1985)).

11 The Seventh Circuit cases cited by George are distinguishable. The district courts in those cases did not permit the nonmovant an adequate opportunity to respond. See Aviles v. Cornell Forge Co., 183 F.3d 598, 605 (7th Cir. 1999)(employee not granted opportunity to respond to arguments raised in reply); Edwards v. Honeywell, Inc., 960 F.2d 673, 674 (7th Cir. 1992)(district court improperly granted summary judgment in favor of defendant on ground not raised by either party; plaintiff was given no opportunity to respond).

12 See 15U.S.C.A. § 1127 (Supp. 2004).

13 See id. at 99.

14 The distinction between an "intent to abandon" and an "intent not to resume" becomes relevant only when there is an issue of "hoarding" of a mark, i.e., when there is a claim that the owner wanted to retain the mark only to prevent its use by others. See Exxon Corp. v. Humble Exploration Co., 695 F.2d 96, 102 (5th Cir. 1983). As there is no allegation of "hoarding" in this appeal, and as both parties appear to accept George's framing of the issue as whether he "intended to abandon" the VAIS mark, we adopt George's characterization of the element of intent.

15 Emergency One, Inc. v. Am. FireEagle, Ltd., 228 F.3d 531,

537 (4th Cir. 2000); see also MCCARTHY ON TRADEMARKS § 17:13("If all a party had to do to avoid a holding of abandonment was to testify that he never had any intent to abandon the mark, or never had any intent not to resume use, then no mark would ever be held abandoned.")(citing Golenpaul v. Rosett, 18 N.Y.S.2d 889 (N.Y. Sup. Ct. 1940)).

16 Butler v. Arrow Mirror & Glass, Inc., 51 S.W.3d 787, 792 (Tex. App. Houston [1st Dist.] 2001, no pet.).

17 TEX. BUS. & COM. COD. ANN. § 15.50(a)(Vernon 2002 & Supp.

2004).

18 Id.

19 Section 15.51(c) requires the trial court to reform a covenant not to compete "to the extent necessary to cause . . . the limitations to be reasonable and to impose a restraint that is not greater than necessary . . . ." TEX. BUS. & COM. CODE ANN.

15.51(c)(Vernon 2002 & Supp. 2004).

20 Texas courts have upheld nationwide geographic limitations in non-compete agreements when it has been clearly established that the business is national in character. See, e.g., Williams v. Powell Elec. Mfg. Co., 508 S.W.2d 665, 668 (Tex. App. ­ Houston [14th Dist.] 1974, no pet.)(enforcing five-year national restriction in favor of manufacturer upon finding that manufacturer's business was "national in character"; "[A] national injunction is reasonable, since it is necessary to protect the national business sold from competition. In an era of national and international corporations, a modern court of equity cannot feel constrained by past precedents involving the sale of barber shops and livery stables.").

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Mr. Vais, I am sorry for your trouble, but you only published an excerpt of the 5th Circuit decision on your website.

Here is the entire decision. It does not reflect well on any of your claims.

United States Court of Appeals

Fifth Circuit

F I L E D

REVISED SEPTEMBER 30, 2004

August 26, 2004

IN THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS

Charles R. Fulbruge III

Clerk

FOR THE FIFTH CIRCUIT

No. 03-50287

VAIS ARMS, INC.,

Plaintiff - Appellee,

versus

GEORGE VAIS

Defendant - Appellant.

Appeal from the United States District Court for the Western

District of Texas, San Antonio Division

(SA-01-CA-0868-EP)

BEFORE JOLLY, WIENER, and PICKERING Circuit Judges.

WIENER, Circuit Judge. Defendant-Appellant George Vais appeals from the district court's grant of summary judgment and entry of permanent injunction in favor of Plaintiff-Appellee Vais Arms, Inc. on claims for (1) unfair competition under § 43(a) of the Lanham Act, (2) trademark dilution and injury to business reputation under the Texas commercial code, (3) trademark infringement and unfair competition under Texas common law, and (4) breach of a covenant not to compete ("non-compete agreement") under the Texas commercial code. We affirm. I. FACTS AND PROCEEDINGS From 1996 until May 15, 2000, Defendant-Appellant George Vais ("George") manufactured and sold firearm muzzle brakes1 through his unincorporated proprietorship, "Vais Arms." During that time, George moved his business to various locations across the United States, including Houston, Texas; Boise, Idaho; Prescott, Arizona; and finally, Kerrville, Texas. He marketed his muzzle brakes primarily through telephone and mail order catalogues, recognizing sales throughout the United States, as well as in some foreign countries.

During the early days of the operation of his business, George developed a severe allergy to household and industrial chemicals and solvents, including those he used in the manufacture of his muzzle brakes. In summer 1999, George's condition worsened significantly, and he decided to leave the United States and return to his native Greece in the hope that the change in environment would improve his health. In preparing for his departure, George asked Ronald Bartlett ("Bartlett"), a gunsmith at a nearby San Antonio sporting goods outlet, whether he would be interested in purchasing George's muzzle brake business and continuing the production and sale of Vais muzzle brakes. Bartlett ultimately agreed to purchase George's business and formed the plaintiff corporation "Vais Arms, Inc." for that purpose.

On December 30, 1999, George and Bartlett executed a Bill of Sale in which "Vais Arms," as seller, agreed to sell to "Vais Arms, Inc.," as buyer, all of Vais Arms's assets and equipment, for a lump sum payment of $40,000. The Bill of Sale specified that the transfer would take place on May 15, 2000. It also referenced an attached exhibit listing the assets and equipment to be sold. The total cost of the items listed was $39,848.97, roughly $150 less than the amount of the purchase price.

In addition, the parties executed an Attachment to the Bill of Sale which reads as follows: The following is agreed to by George Vais and Ronald Bartlett 1. George Vais agrees to the following: A. To get a trade name patent for Vais Arms, Inc. and include it in the sale of assets.

B. To help move the equipment to the new location and make sure everything works. To give instructions for the first two weeks after the move.

C. If Ronald Bartlett dies before the transfer of all assets, all payments on the note will be refunded to Ronald's estate.

2. Ronald Bartlett agrees to the following: A. If George dies before all payments are made on the note, Ronald will make remaining payments on the note to a trust fund for George's children, This trust fund will be established by George's estate.

Finally, the parties executed a non-compete agreement which states, in pertinent part: Non-Compete Covenant. For a period of 10 years after the effective date of this Agreement, George Vais Arms will not directly or indirectly engage in any business that competes with Vais Arms, Inc..

This covenant shall apply to the geographical area that includes all U.S. states and countries which are included in the current customer bases.

Vais Arms, Inc. immediately began operations on May 15, 2000.

For approximately two weeks thereafter, George worked alongside Bartlett in Bartlett's store, assisting him in the production of the muzzle brakes. When Vais Arms, Inc. became fully operational, George went home to Greece.

Vais Arms, Inc. soon began marketing its muzzle brakes nationwide and, like its predecessor, Vais Arms, quickly recognized sales throughout this country. Early in 2001, however, George returned from Greece and began manufacturing and marketing muzzle brakes under the VAIS mark.

In March 2001, after receiving a series of customer inquiries prompted by George's national advertising campaign, Bartlett applied for federal registration of the VAIS trademark in connection with "firearms components and accessories, namely muzzle brakes." George filed a notice of opposition. As of the time of this appeal, Bartlett's application was still pending.

In September 2001, Vais Arms, Inc. filed suit in the district court alleging that George's use of the VAIS mark infringed Vais Arms, Inc.'s rights as senior user of the mark and that George's sales and marketing efforts violated the terms of the non-compete agreement. Vais Arms, Inc. brought claims for (1) unfair competition under § 43(a) of the Lanham Act,2 (2) trademark dilution and injury to business reputation under § 16.29 of the Texas Business and Commerce Code,3 (3) breach of the non-compete agreement under § 15.50 of the Texas Business and Commerce Code,4 and (4) trademark infringement and unfair competition under Texas common law. A year later, Vais Arms, Inc. filed a motion for summary judgment on all its claims. It also filed a motion for a preliminary injunction prohibiting George from using the VAIS mark in connection with the sale of muzzle brakes and from manufacturing, selling, and marketing firearm muzzle brakes in contravention of the non-compete agreement.

In January 2003, the district court granted summary judgment in favor of Vais Arms, Inc. on its claims for unfair competition, trademark dilution and injury to business reputation, and trademark infringement and unfair competition under Texas common law ("the trademark claims"). The district court based its decision on a determination that no genuine issue of material fact existed as to whether George had abandoned the VAIS mark in selling his business to Bartlett and leaving the country. The court declined to grant summary judgment in Vais Arms, Inc.'s favor as to its claim for breach of the non-compete agreement, however, choosing instead to hold the motion in abeyance pending further briefing on the reasonableness of the agreement's geographic and temporal limitations. Accordingly, the district court entered a preliminary injunction prohibiting George's use of the VAIS mark but reserved ruling on Vais Arms, Inc.'s request for an injunction enforcing the terms of the non-compete agreement.

Following further briefing on the reasonableness of the temporal and geographic limitations of the non-compete agreement, the district court granted Vais Arms, Inc.'s motion for summary judgment on its claim for breach of the non-compete agreement. The court also permanently enjoined George from competing with Vais Arms, Inc. in the manufacturing and marketing of firearm muzzle brakes anywhere in the United States until May 15, 2010. After judgment was entered in its favor, Vais Arms, Inc. filed a motion to alter or amend the judgment to make permanent the court's earlier injunction prohibiting George's use of the "VAIS" mark.

Before the district court could rule on that motion to alter or amend, however, George filed a motion to reconsider the grant of summary judgment on Vais Arms, Inc.'s trademark claims. George advanced that Vais Arms, Inc. waived its abandonment argument by failing to assert it in its complaint, and that he had not had adequate time to respond to Vais Arms, Inc.'s abandonment argument before the district court granted summary judgment. George noted that the issue of abandonment was raised for the first time in Vais Arms, Inc.'s reply brief. The district court rejected George's first ground for reconsideration but allowed the parties additional time to submit supplemental briefs and evidence on abandonment.

After considering the supplemental briefing and evidence on abandonment, the district court determined that no genuine issue of material fact existed as to whether George had abandoned the mark.

Accordingly, the court denied George's motion to reconsider its prior grant of summary judgment on Vais Arms, Inc.'s trademark claims. The court then granted Vais Arms, Inc.'s motion to alter or amend the judgment and permanently enjoined George from using the mark in connection with the manufacturing, marketing, or selling of firearm muzzle brakes. The court denied George's motion to stay the injunction pending appeal.

George timely filed notices of appeal from the district court's rulings granting summary judgment, enjoining his use of the VAIS mark, and enjoining his activities in contravention of the non-compete agreement.

II. ANALYSIS A. Standard of Review We review de novo a district court's grant of summary judgment.5 B. Trademark Abandonment George asserts that genuine issues of material fact exist as to whether he abandoned the VAIS mark when he sold his business to Bartlett and moved back to Greece. He argues that, as a result, the district court erred in holding that Vais Arms, Inc. was the senior holder of the mark and granting summary judgment on Vais Arms, Inc.'s trademark claims. Specifically, George contends that (1) as a matter of law, a person cannot abandon his surname, and (2) even assuming arguendo that a person can abandon his surname, genuine issues of material fact exist as to whether he intended to abandon the VAIS mark. Because he did not argue before the district court that a person cannot abandon his surname, George has waived this argument on appeal.6 We therefore consider only whether a genuine issue of material fact exists as to George's intent to abandon.

As a threshold matter, George reasserts on appeal his argument that in the district court Vais Arms, Inc. waived the issue of abandonment by raising it for the first time in its reply to George's memorandum in opposition to Vais Arms, Inc.'s motion for summary judgment. George cites the Sixth Circuit's decision in Atlas Supply Company v. Atlas Brake Shops, Inc. for the proposition that abandonment is "an affirmative defense which must be pleaded; otherwise it is deemed waived."7 As the district court aptly noted, however, Vais Arms, Inc. does not raise the issue of abandonment as a defense but as a means to show a break in the chain of priority, i.e., that it has become the senior holder of the mark and is therefore entitled to bring claims for infringement and dilution.8 In that posture, Vais Arms, Inc. was not required to plead abandonment in its complaint, and Atlas is inapposite.

1391 (9th Cir. 1996), superseded by 85 F.3d 407 (9th Cir. 1996).

Abdul-Jabbar is distinguishable. Unlike the VAIS mark, the surname at issue in Abdul-Jabbar was not a trademark, as the plaintiff had not used the name for commercial purposes for more than ten years prior to filing suit. See id. at 411.

7 360 F.2d 16, 18 (6th Cir. 1966).

8 See J. THOMAS MCCARTHY, MCCARTHY ON TRADEMARKS AND UNFAIR COMPETITION §17:4 (4th ed. 2004)("abandonment may become significant in a number of possible legal situations [including the situation where] "abandonment result[s] in a break in the chain of priority where the parties each claim prior use").

George's procedural contention that he was denied an adequate opportunity to respond to Vais Arms, Inc.'s abandonment argument is equally unpersuasive. The record establishes that the district court permitted him to file a supplemental memorandum on the issue of abandonment along with any additional evidence in his favor.

Although we have not comprehensively identified all the circumstances under which a district court may rely on arguments and evidence presented for the first time in a reply brief, we have stated that "Rule 56(c) merely requires the court to give the nonmovant an adequate opportunity to respond prior to a ruling."9 Further, those circuits that have expressly addressed this issue have held that a district court may rely on arguments and evidence presented for the first time in a reply brief as long as the court gives the nonmovant an adequate opportunity to respond.10 As the district court allowed George such an opportunity, he cannot now complain that he was prejudiced by Vais Arms, Inc.'s failure to raise the issue until its reply.11 As for the substance of George's arguments, he contends that genuine issues of material fact exist on whether he intended to abandon the VAIS mark when he sold his business to Bartlett and moved home to Greece. Under the Lanham Act, a mark is deemed "abandoned" [w]hen its use has been discontinued with intent not to resume such use. Intent not to resume may be inferred from circumstances. Nonuse for three consecutive years shall be prima facie evidence of abandonment. "Use" of a mark means the bona fide use of that mark made in the ordinary course of trade, and not made merely to reserve a right in a mark.12 The party asserting abandonment must establish that the owner of the mark both (1) discontinued use of the mark and (2) intended not to resume its use. The burden of proof is on the party claiming abandonment.13 The parties do not dispute that George discontinued his use of the mark when he sold his business to Bartlett and departed for Greece. Rather, the sole point of contention is whether, in so doing, George possessed the requisite intent to abandon his proprietary right to the VAIS mark.14 To support its contention that George intended to abandon the mark, Vais Arms, Inc. filed numerous declarations and affidavits from George's former customers in which the declarants or affiants expressed their belief, and the facts on which these beliefs were grounded, that when George sold his business, he had no intention of reentering the muzzle brake business in this country. In addition, Vais Arms, Inc. introduced into evidence an October 2000 shooting magazine article about George's retirement from the muzzle brake business and the transfer of his business to Bartlett. The article describes George's longtime struggle with his allergy to household and industrial chemicals including those used in the manufacture of muzzle brakes and his belief that by moving back to his native Greece he could improve his condition. The article makes no mention whether George intended ever to return to the United States or ever to resume his trade, either in the United States or abroad.

For his part, George produced nothing but his own self-serving affidavit, in which he states that he had developed a condition known as "multiple chemical sensitivity" and had left for Greece in the hope that the "clean environment" there would improve his health. He further states conclusionally that he did not "intend to abandon [his] business name of Vais Arms" and that he had "hoped to return after a stay in Greece to pursue []his craft [of manufacturing muzzle brakes]." As objective evidence of his intent not to abandon the mark, George stated that he asked Bartlett to strike out provision 1(A) of the Attachment to the Bill of Sale prior to signing. This provision reads: "George Vais agrees to the following: A. To get a trade name patent [sic] for Vais Arms, Inc. and include it in the sale of assets." A review of the Attachment confirms that the provision was, in fact, struck-out and initialed by Bartlett. This strike-out is not dated.

Bartlett does not contest that he struck-out and initialed provision 1(A). He insists, however, that he did not strike out the provision prior to George's signing the Bill of Sale in December of 1999, as George avers, but did so early in March 2000 to reflect that he no longer held George responsible for registering the VAIS mark. Thus, he asserts, this act cannot be construed as evidence that George lacked the requisite intent to abandon, only that Bartlett would assume responsibility for registering the mark.

That intent is determined by an objective test is too well settled to require citation. Viewing the summary judgment evidence in the light most favorable to George as non-movant including an assumption that the strike-out occurred, as he contends, at the signing in December, 1999 we agree with the district court's determination that George failed to establish that a genuine issue of material fact exists as to his intent to abandon the VAIS mark.

George's vague, self-serving statements in his affidavit to the effect that he "hoped" to regain his health in Greece and return one day to his "craft of manufacturing muzzle brakes" is not sufficient to raise a genuine issue of material fact as to the element of intent, particularly when viewed in light of Vais Arms, Inc.'s overwhelming evidence of abandonment. "[T]he owner of a trademark cannot defeat an abandonment claim . . . by simply asserting a vague, subjective intent to resume use of a mark at some unspecified future date."15 At most, George's affidavit establishes only his subjective, uncommunicated desire not to abandon the mark, without any indication of when or how he intended to resume its commercial use; it does not establish a genuine issue as to his intent to abandon.

Neither does Bartlett's striking out of provision 1(A) in the Attachment raise a genuine issue of material fact as to the element of intent to abandon the mark. That provision referred to George's duty to procure a "trade name patent" and to "include it in the sale of assets"; it says nothing about the actual transfer of the trade name itself. Neither does it make the transfer due at signing, only at some unidentified time in the future. Thus, even assuming that the provision was stricken at or prior to George's signing the Bill of Sale, Bartlett's act of striking it out does not convey an understanding on the part of either party that the VAIS mark was not being transferred along with the sale of the business's other assets. Quite to the contrary, a reasonable reading of provision 1(A) in context of the whole transaction over the five months between the signing of the Bill of Sale and the effective date of the sale confirms that the provision was struck out by Bartlett solely to relieve George of the procedural hassle of registering the VAIS mark before he left the country for health reasons.

As George has failed to produce evidence that would establish the existence of a genuine issue of material fact whether he abandoned the VAIS mark, we affirm the district court's grant of summary judgment in favor of Vais Arms, Inc. on its trademark claims.

C. Non-Compete Agreement "The enforceability of a covenant not to compete is a question of law for the court."16 The Texas Covenants Not to Compete Act provides two criteria for the enforceability of such a covenant.17 It must (1) be "ancillary to or part of an otherwise enforceable agreement" and (2) contain "limitations as to time, geographical area, and scope of activity to be restrained that are reasonable and do not impose a greater restraint than is necessary to protect the goodwill or other business interest of the promisee."18 On appeal, George does not contest that the non-compete agreement was ancillary to the Bill of Sale or that the time limitation (10 years) was reasonable. He challenges only the geographic extent of its restriction. That provision, confected by an accountant, not a lawyer, reads: This covenant shall apply to the geographical area that includes all U.S. states and countries which are included in the current customer bases.

The district court, on Vais Arms, Inc.'s request, reformed this clause to include only "U.S. states"; Vais Arms, Inc. abandoned any claim to coverage of foreign countries.19 Nevertheless, George contends that the entire geographic limitation is unenforceable as written because it does not define the term "current customer bases," or, alternatively, that the phrase "current customer bases" is ambiguous and therefore a jury should determine its meaning. We disagree.

Albeit the geographic limiter was inartfully drafted, a plain reading confirms beyond quibble that the phrase "current customer bases" modifies only the foreign "countries" aspect of the geographic coverage not the "U.S. states" portion. Thus, the covenant as drafted covered (1) "all United States" and (2) any foreign countries in which George had a "current customer base," i.e. sales of muzzle brakes. By reforming the geographic limiter to cover only "U.S. states" in conformity with Vais Arms, Inc.'s voluntary abandonment of foreign coverage, the district court eliminated any potential interpretive issue with the modifier "current customer bases." Indeed, this reading of the geographic limitation is the only one that sensibly comports with the national character of the business that George sold. The record establishes that when George conducted the business, he advertised his muzzle brakes via nationally-distributed trade publications, mail order catalogues, and, importantly, the Internet. In addition, George does not contest that he marketed his products and enjoyed sales throughout the United States. Accordingly, to interpret this provision as requiring the parties to restrict the geographic limits of the covenant to just those states in which George had actually consummated one or more sales, while disregarding the nationwide scope of his marketing efforts, would be legally absurd. We are convinced that the court's interpretation of the geographic limitation is correct and that extending the coverage of the covenant to the fifty states of the Union is reasonable and comports with the objectively determined intent of the parties. The district court properly enjoined George from manufacturing and marketing his muzzle brakes within that geographic area.20 III. CONCLUSION No genuine issue of material fact exists as to whether George abandoned his rights to the VAIS mark in selling his business to Bartlett and relocating to Greece. We affirm the district court's grant of summary judgment and entry of permanent injunction in favor of Vais Arms, Inc. on its trademark claims. Further, we also agree that the geographic limitation imposed by the non-compete agreement as reformed by the district court is reasonable and enforceable.

We affirm the district court's grant of summary judgment on Vais Arms, Inc.'s claim for breach of the non-compete agreement, as well as the court's entry of a permanent injunction enforcing that agreement against Defendant-Appellant George Vais.

AFFIRMED.

CHARLES W. PICKERING, SR., Circuit Judge, concurring in part and dissenting in part.

I concur in all aspects of the majority opinion except the part dealing with the non-compete clause. In Texas, "[c]ourts generally disfavor noncompete covenants because of the public policy against restraints of t rade and the hardships resulting from interference with a person's means of livelihood." Zep Mfg. Co. v. Harthcock, 824 S.W.2d 654, 658 (Tex. App.­ Dallas 1992). I recognize that it is possible to have a valid non-compete clause; however, I would conclude that there is an ambiguity in this particular non-compete clause. A contract is ambiguous when its meaning is reasonably susceptible to more than one interpretation. Heritage Res. Inc. v. NationsBank, 939 S.W.2d 118, 121 (Tex. 1996). In this case, the agreement states that "[t]his covenant shall apply to the geographical area that includes all U.S. states and countries which are included in the current customer base." The phrase "which are included in the current customer base" could be read to apply only to the word "countries", or it could be read to apply to "all U.S. states and countries." Because the phrase is susceptible to more than one reasonable interpretation, the issue should be remanded to the district court for an appropriate determination. See Exxon Corp. v. West Texas Gathering Co., 868 S.W.2d 299, 302 (Tex. 1993) (explaining that cont ract ambiguities are fact questions to be submitted to a jury).

For the foregoing reasons I respectfully dissent as to that part of the majority opinion dealing with the non compete clause.

1 A muzzle brake is a device attached to the muzzle (exit end) of a gun barrel to reduce perceived recoil and barrel "bounce" that occurs when the gun is fired.

2 See 15U.S.C.A. § 1125(a)(Supp. 2004).

3 See TEX. BUS. & COMM. CODE ANN. § 16.29 (Vernon 2002 & Supp.

2004).

4 See TEX. BUS. & COMM. CODE ANN. § 15.50 (Vernon 2002 & Supp.

2004).

5 See Markos v. City of Atlanta, 364 F.3d 567, 570 (5th Cir. 2004).

6 See Ellison v. Software Spectrum, Inc., 85 F.3d 187, 191 (5th Cir. 1996). We observe, however, that had George preserved this issue for appeal, we would rule against him. A surname is classified as a descriptive word mark. See Perini Corp. v. Perini Constr., Inc., 915 F.2d 121, 124 (4th Cir. 1990). As such, "one who claims federal trademark rights in a [surname] must prove that the name has acquired a secondary meaning." Id. at 125; see also Chevron Chem. Co. v. Voluntary Purchasing Groups, Inc., 659 F.2d

695, 702 (5th Cir. 1981). "[A s]econdary meaning exists if in fact a substantial number of present or prospective customers understand the designation when used in connection with a business to refer to a particular person or business enterprise." Perini, 915 F.2d at

125 (quoting Food Fair Stores, Inc. v. Lakeland Grocery Corp., 301 F.2d 156, 160-61 (4th Cir. 1962)). Once it is established that a surname has acquired a secondary meaning, however, it "becomes a trade name or service mark subject to the rule of priority in order to prevent deception of the public," and accordingly is susceptible of abandonment. John R. Thompson Co. v. Holloway, 366 F.2d 108,

113 (5th Cir. 1966)("a man has no absolute right to use his own name, even honestly, as the name of his merchandise or his business"). Further, George's reliance on the Ninth Circuit's decision in Abdul-Jabbar v. Gen. Motors Corp. as support for his proposition that a person cannot abandon his surname is misplaced. See 75 F.3d

9 Southwestern Bell Tel. Co. v. City of El Paso, 346 F.3d 541,

545 (5th Cir. 2003).

10 See, e.g., Seay v. Tenn. Valley Auth., 339 F.3d 454, 481-482 (6th Cir. 2003)("the purposes of notice and opportunity to respond extend Rule 56(c) to the situation where the moving party submits in a reply brief new reasons and evidence in support of its motion for summary judgment, and require a district court to allow the nonmoving party an opportunity to respond"); Booking v. Gen. Star Mgmt. Co., 254 F.3d 414, 418 (2d Cir. 2001)("Rule 28 of the Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure . . . has no analogue in the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, and in most cases trial judges can provide parties with an adequate opportunity to respond to particular arguments by ordering additional briefing."); Beaird v. Seagate Tech., Inc., 145 F.3d 1159, 1164 (10th Cir. 1998)("when a moving party advances in a reply new reasons and evidence in support of its motion for summary judgment, the nonmoving party should be granted an opportunity to respond")(citing Cia. Petrolera Caribe, Inc. v. Arco Caribbean, Inc., 754 F.2d 404, 410 (1st Cir. 1985)).

11 The Seventh Circuit cases cited by George are distinguishable. The district courts in those cases did not permit the nonmovant an adequate opportunity to respond. See Aviles v. Cornell Forge Co., 183 F.3d 598, 605 (7th Cir. 1999)(employee not granted opportunity to respond to arguments raised in reply); Edwards v. Honeywell, Inc., 960 F.2d 673, 674 (7th Cir. 1992)(district court improperly granted summary judgment in favor of defendant on ground not raised by either party; plaintiff was given no opportunity to respond).

12 See 15U.S.C.A. § 1127 (Supp. 2004).

13 See id. at 99.

14 The distinction between an "intent to abandon" and an "intent not to resume" becomes relevant only when there is an issue of "hoarding" of a mark, i.e., when there is a claim that the owner wanted to retain the mark only to prevent its use by others. See Exxon Corp. v. Humble Exploration Co., 695 F.2d 96, 102 (5th Cir. 1983). As there is no allegation of "hoarding" in this appeal, and as both parties appear to accept George's framing of the issue as whether he "intended to abandon" the VAIS mark, we adopt George's characterization of the element of intent.

15 Emergency One, Inc. v. Am. FireEagle, Ltd., 228 F.3d 531,

537 (4th Cir. 2000); see also MCCARTHY ON TRADEMARKS § 17:13("If all a party had to do to avoid a holding of abandonment was to testify that he never had any intent to abandon the mark, or never had any intent not to resume use, then no mark would ever be held abandoned.")(citing Golenpaul v. Rosett, 18 N.Y.S.2d 889 (N.Y. Sup. Ct. 1940)).

16 Butler v. Arrow Mirror & Glass, Inc., 51 S.W.3d 787, 792 (Tex. App. Houston [1st Dist.] 2001, no pet.).

17 TEX. BUS. & COM. COD. ANN. § 15.50(a)(Vernon 2002 & Supp.

2004).

18 Id.

19 Section 15.51(c) requires the trial court to reform a covenant not to compete "to the extent necessary to cause . . . the limitations to be reasonable and to impose a restraint that is not greater than necessary . . . ." TEX. BUS. & COM. CODE ANN.

15.51(c)(Vernon 2002 & Supp. 2004).

20 Texas courts have upheld nationwide geographic limitations in non-compete agreements when it has been clearly established that the business is national in character. See, e.g., Williams v. Powell Elec. Mfg. Co., 508 S.W.2d 665, 668 (Tex. App. ­ Houston [14th Dist.] 1974, no pet.)(enforcing five-year national restriction in favor of manufacturer upon finding that manufacturer's business was "national in character"; "[A] national injunction is reasonable, since it is necessary to protect the national business sold from competition. In an era of national and international corporations, a modern court of equity cannot feel constrained by past precedents involving the sale of barber shops and livery stables.").

Thank you for posting the decision of the corrupted court,but there are more things missing.Bartlett did not sent his brief in the court with the excuse did not have the money, and the court provide the money to Bartletts atorney for his expense and his fee to go to the court.That is "serious court violation".They can do that only on criminal cases only,never on civil case,and when do that the judges name mast be posted there whith his signature,and there "was no name or signature"Bartletts brief was violating the court rules and his attorney has to rewrite it, but did not happen. My attorney told me after doing federal appeals fo over 20 years never have seen or heard something like it.I call and spoke to journalist Pit Williams of public television (say news about suppreme court and other courts)and he told me "that is very ot never heard that before".Icall the court and ask the clerk to tell me who diside to send the money to bartletts atorney,the clerk say the judge and i ask what is his name, they told me that name is not public.I told them if Bush try to place one of the judges in the suppreme court my documents will go to the congress hands.Judge Jolly and Wiener they were on the top of Bush list to go to the supreme court, accorting to the front line. Judge pickerink was plased there by Bush and he risigned later. Thanks again and dont forget to read carefoul my web side. www.vaismuzlebrakes.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Mr. Vias, I'll try one more time. Your just not getting it...its over. You can throw all of the money, time and lawyer skills you want at this issue and its not going to change the outcome. As was previously advised, work on what IS going to get you thru the rest of your life and leave the wicked past.....in your past. As stated before, are you willing to die a miserable old man thinking the world did you wrong and won't listen to reason? There are scores of people that lost their jobs thru no fault of their own and have picked up the remaining pieces and changed their situations for the better, sometimes changing their entire careers. You have choices sir, choose carefully. PS, it is in your best interest, that if you do start another line of business, remove the negative website information as this will only serve to keep people away from you. No-one likes doing business with an angry, negative thinking person. Good luck sir.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK Mr. Vias, I'll try one more time. Your just not getting it...its over. You can throw all of the money, time and lawyer skills you want at this issue and its not going to change the outcome. As was previously advised, work on what IS going to get you thru the rest of your life and leave the wicked past.....in your past. As stated before, are you willing to die a miserable old man thinking the world did you wrong and won't listen to reason? There are scores of people that lost their jobs thru no fault of their own and have picked up the remaining pieces and changed their situations for the better, sometimes changing their entire careers. You have choices sir, choose carefully. PS, it is in your best interest, that if you do start another line of business, remove the negative website information as this will only serve to keep people away from you. No-one likes doing business with an angry, negative thinking person. Good luck sir.

It is ok fo you to say is over,but not dor me.The way to live this world happy is when Bartlett pay for every thing, dos not matter what will take. My web side will stay on.Money to me is not the isue.
"PRIDE IS".

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:

The times that I've visited George Vais I have found him to be friendly, possesed of a quick wit and very knowledgeable. I've listened to him on the phone talking to potential customers and he has always come across friendly. Is he opinionated? Yes, but most times correct!!!!!