Find
Notify
Tools

What do you use to:
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hold a trigger stable in the receiver.

I have a new Mark X action. I installed a Blackburn trigger. The pin holding the trigger is just long enough to fit properly on both sides of the trigger housing. But it gravitates to one side or the other thereby becoming loose, which in turn causes the trigger to become unstable. NO GOOD.

What do you use to keep that pin where its supposed to be?

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using the 'jam screw' the binds the unit by pushing against the bottom of the receiver?

Posts: 696 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last few Blackburn/Swift trigger units I have installed required a shim in front of the sear.

The tab machined on the trigger housing was not tall enough, so I added a .018" shim and super glued them in place. This allowed the sear to be in the proper height to clear the cocking piece to pass over the top of the sear

Without this shim then you could not get enough tension on the binding screw to hold the trigger housing tight enough

J Wisner

Posts: 1449 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
If you do not have the tools to knurl one end of the pin you can instead use a small sharp cold chisel to peen small lines at one end of the pin which when driven into place will stay tight and centred in the housing.

Posts: 3877 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recknagel triggers have a locking pin. Necg is the USA supplier

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking (hoping) for some kind of metal tape. There is a shim on the front of the trigger and the jam screw is being used

KJK

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No tape,
Something is not adding up; I have installed hundreds of 98 Mauser triggers and ain't had one fall off yet.
Using standard 3mm pins.

Posts: 17168 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its not "falling off". But it moves from side to side like it was on its way to falling off. Perhaps a threaded screw with some sort of locking nut would work to fix it. Or perhaps a longer 3mm pin that sticks out on both sides of the trigger.
I don't profess to know exactly how this trigger works, but I don't want the damn thing to disengage sometime when I put it on safety and then fire when I take it off safety.

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The last few Blackburn/Swift trigger units I have installed required a shim in front of the sear."

I got this trigger directly from Ted a few years before he sold his business to Swift.

KJK

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
No knowledge of this pin, but is there some reason (like rotation) that you can't use a dot of locktite on it? Blue is common but the purple stuff has an even lighter bond.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the proper sized pin, and the 'jam screw' is snug against the bottom of the receiver, the pin should not move. If you still have this problem after checking pin size (diameter & L) and making sure the screw is snug against the bottom of the receiver, you need to take it to a competent gunsmith as you're not going to solve this on an internet form. Tape ain't it! Neither is Loc-Tite......

Posts: 696 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is just a 3x12 mm pin; it does not rotate so yes, you can glue it in place, although, again, I have done hundreds of Mauser triggers (never a swift though) and never had one move. at all. I used the phrase, "fall off", for dramatic effect. So people would read it.
I recommend not using that brand of trigger. I use only Timney, or for my personal rifles, military two stage triggers. "Shim in front of the sear"; sounds fishy. I mean, strange. It also sounds patently unsafe.
Sli said it; it won't be fixed here!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stake it into place on both ends. Or spline one end of the pin, or use a Loctite on the end(s of the pin so it can be removed w/o using heat if needed.
Thousands of 'pins' are assembled in those different ways and they stay put.
Or fit a slightly over size pin if you want to.

You can also glue small wood blocks to the inletting on either side of the trigger for a close fit so the walking pin has no where to walk too.
Go oversize and carefully inlet for a close fit.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Again, I have Never done anything special to those trigger pins and never had one fail. Or move. Or come loose. Or anything else.
Something we are unaware of going on here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tHANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAS RESPONDED.

KJK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can also glue small wood blocks to the inletting on either side of the trigger for a close fit so the walking pin has no where to walk too.

This.

Posts: 1142 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
Hold a trigger stable in the receiver.

I have a new Mark X action. I installed a Blackburn trigger. The pin holding the trigger is just long enough to fit properly on both sides of the trigger housing. But it gravitates to one side or the other thereby becoming loose, which in turn causes the trigger to become unstable. NO GOOD.

What do you use to keep that pin where its supposed to be?

By it, do you mean the pin? quick fix, pean over one end just a little bit ..

sounds like the pin is unsized -- but a drop of superglue would be a hack fix

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38569 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't see how the pin can be loose & the trigger still tight to the gun. Some thing has to be holding that trigger in place & not the pin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larry miller:
I can't see how the pin can be loose & the trigger still tight to the gun. Some thing has to be holding that trigger in place & not the pin.

tHE PIN DOESN'T COME ALL OF THE WAY OUT. iT JUST GOES IN ON ONE SIDE AND OUT ON THE OTHER SIDE ENOUGH TO CAUSE A VERY WOBBLY AND UNSAFE TRIGGER

KJK

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How many shots does it take for the pin to walk out?
And how tightly are you tightening the front set screw?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Purple shoe? What is going on with these? Shims? Shoes?
Post pictures. I have never installed one of these and for sure now, never will.
With a Timney, you just install the pin, tighten the sheet screw, and shoot. Forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
EDIT!! Went back and checked, the sear was hanging up in the slot. The housing doesn’t need to be shimmed, not on this one anyway.
I forgot to check that first.
Apologies to Swift.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Makes more sense.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Possibly the OP’s problem, Kolo, check for clearance of the sear in the slot.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That was done; the clearance in the slot for the sear is adequate. The housing is too thin and it flexes when you tighten up the front set screw. I hope they are not all like this one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be fair the Swift unit I’ve got is steel and very strong, definitely comparable to the Recknagel.
I would be happy to have it on my rifle, but I would have to re-blue the blade as it is light plum coloured.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank everyone who responded to this problem, And especially thank DPCD for fixing this problem. Thanks Tom for fixing my safety too. It was great to meet you.

KJK

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You are welcome.