New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making a 3 position safety for a 1917
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since I couldn't find one I figured I'd make one. I'm sure I made lots of mistakes but the prototype works. I used a win70 wing since I didn't want to try to make that. Seeing that I'm not a machinist or a gunsmith any tip or comments will be appreciated.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking pretty damn good.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats very nice work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice and crisp work, a handsome piece.

How close is the back end of a Remington to the '17? Just curious.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
very clever

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

Too bad I didn't see you were looking for one. I bought one a few weeks ago, seller said it was for a Rem 700. When it came, it was for a 1917. I don't need the extra one, as I have two already to complete the two projects I have going.

dave

Posts: 1104 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Looks good.. lets see it when you get it done

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Nicely done Don. I would like to see a photo before you milled the top of the gas block flange off the top though. Just to compare with it milled away.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seeing that I'm not a machinist or a gunsmith

Doesn't look that way to me.

Did you also install the square bridge and the bolt handle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I'm a big fan of the enfield safety, but this does look real good, I'm surprised too by the statement that you're not a machinist or a gunsmith, pretty damn good results for not being either Smiler

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don-

Great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Nicely done Don. I would like to see a photo before you milled the top of the gas block flange off the top though. Just to compare with it milled away.

I did it all in the mill as I didn't know how I was going to shape it. Started with this:

Went to this thinking I could put a flange on both sides. I ended up removing it for clearance on the right side.

Kevin, yes I did the bolt handle and cut the square bridge. The bridge is over sized as I still need to cut is for scope rings.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kevin, yes I did the bolt handle and cut the square bridge. The bridge is over sized as I still need to cut is for scope rings.
Don

Don

It would not surprise me that the next thing we will see from you is beautifully crafted bottom metal for it. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not a machinist or a gunsmith, hey? You have not fooled anyone with this project.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don, It looks like you're on the right tract, but could use a little more practice. Send second effort to me....lol