New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 62 on an 03A3 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have just been given a nice 03A3 action by my BIL (D&R Gunshop) and am considering it for a 9.3 x 62 build. Will the 03 magazine allow me to seat the heavier bullets without restricting powder capacity? Also, I have heard that some of the earlier actions had some heat treating issues that restricted chamber pressures, can anyone give me a serial number cut-off for these actions?

Many Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 81 | Location: Culpeper, Virginia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 03s had the heat treat issues- I don't think that there was any problems with the A3s. I haven't measured the box length in my 03, but I don't think that you will have issues with the 9.3x62. BTW, I have found the 250 TSX to be an excellent choice for my Model 70 based 9.3x62.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info mrfudd!

Posts: 81 | Location: Culpeper, Virginia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a3? it will be fine... polish it up a bit, and you should have no issues worth mentioning

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You are kidding me, a desecration of an American action with a Germanic cartridge!
1903 Springfields should be 35 Whelens, 400 Whelens and 30/06's.
Mausers should be metric.

Just an opinion.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
You are kidding me, a desecration of an American action with a Germanic cartridge!

Big Grin tu2 Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
1903 Springfields should be 35 Whelens, 400 Whelens and 30/06's.
Mausers should be metric.

Just an opinion.

I know he's kidding but man that would be a lot of re chambers due to the gazilion mausers out there with "American" chamberings.

Then don't forget the .30-06 is a metric cartridge it was just converted to inch dimensions.
Even the beloved .45 acp is based on a metric cartridge John browning already had the tooling for a 12mm case head so the .45 ACP is a
8mm mauser case head

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so lets say I decided to go with the the 35 Whelen instead of the 9.3; what make of factory brass is best (not interested in forming from 06 brass), and is there as many good .35 bullets available as there are for the 9.3? I notice there seems to be only a 20-30 fps edge for the 9.3 using the Barnes 250. Also, how acceptable is the Privi brass that Graf's sells?

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know Remington is the only company that makes brass for the whelen. I believe you will find more bullets for the 35, but the weights tend to be lower than for the 9.3.

the 03a3 as stated has no heat treat issues. it has a stamped bottom metal unit on it that you can replace with the nicer version from a standard 03 if you want to make it a bit nicer.

Although I think it is classic to do a whelen on one, if you prefer the 9.3 I see no reason not to do that. Then later do a whelen on a mauser. Big Grin

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
by that logic, it should be a CRIME to put a 30-06 or 308 on a mauser ..

do what you wish.. it'll feed fine, and if not, its just a couple dollars to get it to

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5-06 built on a 1903/A4 which should have a similar magazine max length to a 1903/A3.

The max COL length rounds I can load and reliably feed with it are 3.424 inches.

So in answer to your question, the 9.3x62 (which is typically listed with a max COL of 3.340 inches) should easily feed out of your action.

.....but, you should really make it into a Whelen Cool

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Grafs brass is very good. I had good luck with IMR4064, Grafs brass, and 250 TSX.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

do what you wish.. it'll feed fine, and if not, its just a couple dollars to get it to

No, it's OK to do that since they lost the war.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

No, it's OK to do that since they lost the war.

To the winners so go the spoils tu2

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
The 9.3X62 can be loaded to 2700 fps with 250 gr bullets if you got to full 60,000 psi loads. That is comparing apples with apples ...with the 35 Whelan. For the 03 action you can go to 2600 fps and still be better off than the 35 Whelan. You can load Woodleigh 320 gr RN for a buffalo load or 232 gr Normas for deer. PM me with your email id if you want some bullet test data, loads etc on the 9.3X62. I have heaps of useful info. Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by Freestate101:
Ok, so lets say I decided to go with the the 35 Whelen instead of the 9.3; what make of factory brass is best (not interested in forming from 06 brass), and is there as many good .35 bullets available as there are for the 9.3? I notice there seems to be only a 20-30 fps edge for the 9.3 using the Barnes 250. Also, how acceptable is the Privi brass that Graf's sells?

Jim

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both cartridges are excellent and will suit a 1903 nicely.

I personally like the 9,3x62.

I also like Springfields. They can make lovely sporters! And having been given the action you need not feel guilty about making something nice from it!

Do the polish work slowly and carefully ... there is a very pretty rifle in there Big Grin

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Don't get me wrong I love metric cartridges I have some of them too but my 9.3 is on a Mauser so are all of our 6.5's. Just seems like the right thing to do.
I love Springfields and have some. Currently have 30/06 on a Springfield but have a 30/40 on the way and another 03' action that is slowly becoming a 400 Whelen.
I hope you all know I was ribbing mostly but if it were me I'd have a hard time going metric in a Springfield even though the 9.3 in a 1903 would be a smooth set up and would be a natural fit.

On another note I use the brass from Graf's that is stamped Graf 9.3x62 and the PRVI 285 grain bullets with Ramshot Big Game powder and CCI 200 primers and the whole mix performs great.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote