New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saeeds .375/404 wildcat
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have never built a wildcat rifle, but I would very much like to build one like Saeeds. Just how hard would it be and what is a good rifle to use as a base? Also, How hard is it to make up the ammo?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS,

A wildcat does entail a bit more work at the beginning than a factory chambering. Also, some wildcats require a lot more work than others.

I designed this one a few years back, together with 3 others based on the 404 case.

The others are a 375, 338 and 270.

I have been using the 375 for all my hunting in Africa, and it has served me very well.

The reason I am building this on now is for hunting plains game - I have plenty of other rifles I can use, but I just felt I wanted to build a new one on the new Sako 75 action.

I had a custom set of dies made by Neil Jones. The sizing die is a bushing type, and has several bushings to neck the parent case down to different calibers.

The different steps are described in this post.

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/004474.html

There is no special reason to build this wildcat really, as the 300 Remington Ultra Mag is very similar.

Of course, once the cases have been formed, they can be used many times.

If you decide to build one, and need any information, just ask, I will be happy to help you.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add a endorsement to the work done by Neil Jones...his dies are absolutely top-notch. I use his in-line dies for a variety of cartridges...easy to use and it makes the most consistent ammunition I've ever prepared. Not cheap but quality rarely is.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Saeed. I may not get around to this for some time, but I have always wanted to build a wildcat. I would also like to make a ver accurate small rifle for alpine hunting like a souped up 6PPC.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote