Find
Notify
Tools

From the shop of James Anderson
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I recieved a few pictures in an email from James and thought I'd pass them on. The work on the Mini Mauser is really starting to take shapeand it's stunning to say the least! It's recieved it's "G33/40" treatment for the stock and I couldn't be happier with the results. It's such a pretty piece of wood that I was somewhat leary of doing anything to the color but James and ForrestB convinced me that it would be OK so a little alkalyn root was added to tint it just a little and give it more of an english look. I couldn't be happier with the results.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
WOW.... I like the wood choice and really like the color .... just right amount of red tinge

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's really good stuff. Wonderfull stock shape. As elegant as I have seen.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!
That is nothing short of MAGNIFICENT!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

It looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing the finished product...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Another NICE one, what caliber did you go with?

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now....that is a class act!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
The finish pic is only the first coat using Duane's recipe with alkenet root. Thanks for the pointers Duane. The stock drinks up loads of finish the first time.

The test piece from Terry's blank had the firey red colors for a week or so and then mellowed out some to look like something that was finished 75 years ago.

It's hard to take a good pic that represents what it looks like in person. Not sure even a video could show it well. Have to get a good hologram projector to see how much is going on inside that blank. Kind of like looking at those old prismatic stickers where the image changed with your viewing angle.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
James has an amazing talant. I feel so fortunate he's taken this one on for me.

Terry

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Another NICE one, what caliber did you go with?

.223 thumb

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice and I like/prefer the red tint.

I am assuming you had the thumb slot cut in the mini-mauser action - is this correct?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
Very nice and I like/prefer the red tint.

I am assuming you had the thumb slot cut in the mini-mauser action - is this correct?

Yes, Shane Thompson did most of the metal work and it was his idea. I really like it.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
As I have stated before I like dark wood and prefer little figure. This piece of wood has a very attractive figure or steak pattern that is appealing. What I don't understand and never have is this affection for 'red' to be added to the color. This is a truly magnificent piece of gunsmiths art in both the metal and wood execution. I do find the english pattern stock to also be a very appealing shape esthetically. My only question would be why screw up the natural wood color with red dye. As I say this is an absolute personal opinion but I find this worship of all things British even to the color to be more confusing to me than anything else associated with guns. It is going to be a most beautiful gun color of the stock notwithstanding. The craftsmen and owner can all be proud of the effort.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The rifle is patterned after an English stalker. The stock is a very close copy of a Jeffery stalking rifle. While this rifle is a custom that's where it's insperation comes from. The classic English builders of the day used alkalyn root on thier stocks and to my eye they have a timeless beauty to them unmatched by any modern style today.

Short answer, I had it put on because I like it.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Givem hell Terry!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i like the really opn grip area... fantastic!!!! beer

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's PURDY !. Nice work to be sure !!!. archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done James, and a wonderful piece of walnut!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1821 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I love that blank!

Cool details on the metal as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, you know that I love it. Now maybe I can be next. I think the whole package looks great.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, whose quarter rib is on the rifle? Looks great! The whole rifle is pure artistry!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of 2 sides of a cutoff from the stock where I tested the alkenet root.

Which one do you like?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry/James, absolutely outstanding rifle!

James, I like the top one.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Here's a pic of 2 sides of a cutoff from the stock where I tested the alkenet root.

Which one do you like?

Hardly enough difference to spit at Wink

Terry

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
looks great!!!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the top one.
Bottom one is too red.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I really like the bottom one better. Darker wood just looks more classy IMO.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
As a friend of mine is fond of saying, it doesn't get any better than that, different but not better...

Nice job Jim!!

Terry, your a lucky man (and most likely a hard worker), to be able to afford the best. Do you have plans for engraving this rifle? Keep us posted as it progresses.

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thank you Trez and yes, I work very hard. I'm about as bluecollar as they get. Smiler

Roger Kehr will be doing the engraving. I just hope this job falls in with his schedule.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is beautiful. I have followed this thread nearly from the beginning. I can't believe the amount of metalwork that has gone into this project. The down sized scope rings were the crowning attention to detail for me. I like the red color, the bottom stock would be my prefference but either with that wood color and figure would be fine. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
I like the top one.
Bottom one is too red.

Most men are a little "red" color blind

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
quote:
Originally posted by SDhunter:
I like the top one.
Bottom one is too red.

Most men are a little "red" color blind

I never much liked red but I like the bottom one. Can't wait to try the root Duane sent me. Just need the right stock.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You know,I really like that stick of wood,it is really beautiful!

Posts: 88 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
A little update.

The sanding is done and the finishing is nearing completion. The checkering will start soon and after that it's off to the engraver. Roger Kehr will be engraving this rifle for me. I've got a few ideas but want to wait untill he has the rifle in hand before anything is set in stone.

After that James will get the rifle back for rust bluing and then it's finished!

I can't say enough about the wonderful craftsmen I've had the pleasure to work with on this project.

Terry

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful!!!! clap You should be very happy with that one.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another great looking rifle, Terry. James has turned out a dandy one there. There is something about the color of the stock that really attracts me.

Just great.

josh (sharpsShooter form 25hcr)

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Fantastic rifle Terry! just the ticket for early spring days shooting over the cooler at ground hogs.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Getting sweeter each step of the way, engraveing pictures next!!! thumb

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TC1:
It's recieved it's "G33/40" treatment for the stock

Terry, what is a G33/40 treatment?

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, this thing just keeps getting better and better and better. Kind of like going to the candy drawer when you are a kid.