New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka .223 has .070" firing pin protrusion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gun is new and unfired and I'm a bit leary of taking her out until I get some reassurance here. I've been a rimfire-only guy for so long I have no idea if .070" constitutes risk of a pierced primer.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You might have been okay had you gone about your business and not measured it, but you did and now you know it's a little long. Why risk it. If it were mine I would trim it back the .005 and be done with it. FWIW, Every time I true a bolt face I check to make sure the firing pin is within the "considered" safe limits and if not, trim it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
its probably fine

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Malm if I'm too lazy to do it myself I'll make an appointment to drop it off - but only if I may stand on the special guess matt Wink

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
Thanks guys. Malm if I'm too lazy to do it myself I'll make an appointment to drop it off - but only if I may stand on the special guess matt Wink

Okay!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If every gunsmith had one of those there would be far fewer stories of impoverished gunsmiths.