Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mark X Mauser Bolt
 Login/Join

posted
This is for all you Mauser experts out there. I purchsed a used Interarms Mark X Mauser in 30/06 on the Internet. It is in good condition on the outside, decent bore and trigger. When I got it home, I noticed that when I dryfire it, a fine fluid sprays droplets ( from the back of the bolt I am sure ) onto my glasses. It appears to be a very light oil.
I am guessing that the previous owner lubricated the bolt heavily prior to the sale and that all I need to do is disassemble the bolt and give a good cleaning to stop this.
Or is this a symptom of something else, maybe more serious?
I have come to respect all the expert opinions on this forum and I wonder what you Accurate Reloaders would do.

Posts: 20 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Disassemble and blow it out.. over zealous oiling

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38662 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Jeffe says, somebody OD'ed on the lube.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can probably blow it out with an air hose if you have one. This would eliminate having to strip the bolt if you're not mechanical. Mine did the same thing.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would strip it and clean it. Not hard to do. Only takes a few minutes.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my neck of the woods that much oil in late fall could cause misfires. At the least it will attract a ton of grit where you don't want it. If you don't want to fully strip the bolt you could swish it around in gas to cut the oil, the gas wil evap. in no time...

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote