Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could You Help Identify This Action
 Login/Join

posted
Could anybody help me identify what type of action this is. This is a custom gun made by Harry Lawson in Tucson AZ. There are no markings on the action at all. I'd like to put a new stock on this gun but i'm not really sure what to buy. I think I posted the above pictures right. Thanks for the help. [IMG:top] [/IMG] [IMG:top] [/IMG] [IMG:top] [/IMG]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All that I can see is the thumbnail. It ain't large enough for me to see.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I can see it.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cl5man-

That is definitely a sporterized M-1917 Enfield.

What caliber is it?

Would you mind posting pictures of the bottom metal?

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a little bit of custom on a Rem. 30 to me.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 1917. The bolt looks like a military one straighted. Remove the scope mount it should say "US MODEL OF 1917" then either Winchester, Remington, or Eddystone and then the serial number. If it's a rem 30 it'll say something like "Remington Model 30 Express".
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a sporterized Mdl. 1917- there are numerous differencs like the rear bridge, clip slot, and bolt stop are not correct for a Remington Mdl. 30 or 30S.

It takes a lot of work to make a 1917 near as nice as a 30 or 30S. I never understood why all the high $$ custom builders base their expensive rifles on the 1917 instead of starting with a 30 or 30S.

Posts: 100 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
enfield, interesting bolt handle, safety is ruined, and 1917 bolt

You start with 30s, partly due to guiderib on the bolt, and back when 30s were cheap, it was far better to start with the remmy turned down and no duckpond than rework a military..

and its STILL cheaper to start with a 30S if you aren't doing the work yourself, and want it to look like a 30s
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
When I was in Gunsmith school 17's were the standard for large (300H&H,375H&H) rifles and they were inexpensive. I had never seen a Rem 30 until many years later. One of the 375's I built was on a David Miller modified 30 action which I believe was the first I had ever seen and this was well into the 80's. If the action is a Lawson modified it probably has his safety in the trigger guard.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote