New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 to Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does the barrel have to come off when changing the 458 Win Mag chamber to a Lott chamber?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not if you are careful in your reaming operation. You can do it by hand you just have to be sure you do not cut into the chamber so far that you change the headspace. I've heard they have a 458 Lott reamer that will not cut the area for the belt and all you have to do is run it into the chamber till it hits the recess for the belt and quit but you don't have to worry about cutting the chamber too deep. I've done them both ways. I'm not sure which is easier.

There are many things about which a wise man wishes to remain ignorant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the easiest/safest way is to dykem blue or red the belt recess and run it in about .275"; then start cutting the final .075" about .005" per pass until you see the dykem start to disappear. Can't see any more red/blue? Time to try a dummy round or the go/no-go gauges. My old fart gunsmith uses a piece of beige freezer tape as a gauge...he puts a layer on, taps around the edge with a piece of drill rod and tries it. When the bolt will almost close, he pulls the tape off and it generally is dead on. Has worked for him for 50+ years now.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
YES
it should come off.

if you are doign conversions, it's best to order a conversion reamer... the belt is non-cutting

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38601 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote