THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

worst thing about doing your own smithin'?
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
those nights when you can't get JACK done right, and there's no one to call and tell them
" i am sick of working on this piece of stump, come get it"

oh well... tonight I should only be making chips with some fish!!

wharf NOT swarf!!

jeffe
(one tired, frustrated smiffie who has the sense to say "that's enough, i am going in the house"

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New Years resolution #1: Get some F***ING carpet under that vice!!!

I've dropped not one but two perfectly polished parts this week that have landed about 1" away from the rug. Nothing rings like a honed and stoned Pre War 70 bolt shroud bouncing off of the cold hard cement. 400 grit finish rings much better than 220... Second bounce hit my boot thank the lord and broke the momentum a bit...

The other being a Jerry Fisher grip cap telling me it wants to be repolished and rust blued again...

No one to blame when things go badly... that's the worse.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
I'm working on a simple (?) project as we speak, Argentine Mauser in 257 AI. Stock inlet, metal finish, heat treat action, rebarrel, glass bed, stock finish, etc,etc,etc. It just keeps going on. I keep telling myself, it's the last one I'm gonna do. Yeah right.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The constant tinkering. It never seems to end. There always seems to be a project in the wings begging to be started. Like the AMD-65 that's been sitting on the bench for 4 months. New Year's resolution: Don't start another one until the rest are done. Yeah, right!

Posts: 37 | Location: Evanston, IL | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like tinkering and think it would be cool to be a gunsmith,BUT,, My projects take forever, doing a stock i have to do alittle at a time and take a break .

How can you guys make money at this??

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Having to take the bag of parts to a "real" gunsmith and paying him to fix it.

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This is exactly why I'm going to have Jeffe do the stock work!
I hate yelling at myself!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Having to take the bag of parts to a "real" gunsmith and paying him to fix it.

Priceless

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The number of "Bubbles" it bursts...

After seeing that it IS possible to do truly good work without being a born Magician, you start looking at all the stuff that comes in the door in a whole new light.

Some of the best known names fall the farthest...

On the other hand, some "regular" guys show up as real heroes.

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK big guy, what did you screw up, or does that mean I can come by and pick up the dup machine, I can take it off your hands if its stressing you out...............

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Re: worst thing about doing your own smithin'?

The time it takes to "finish" things - working out those fine details and bugs and sanding/oiling stocks.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Billy,
was just general things... and jana says (cute little blonde with her hands on her hips)" you can come get a load of rock salt"... it's HER machine (LMAO)

one of those nights where you try to work on ONE thing... it doesn't go well, so you change to something else... and eventually you can't even run the vac right!!!

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39563 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The worst thing about doing your own gunsmithing is lying to yourself about what your capabilities are, then lying to yourself about the results you're achieving............ Wink

I've seen guys ruin $600 rifles in order to save $100 worth of professional gunsmithing fees on same. Talk about reverse-economy!

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rules of Gunsmithing are:
1. Be patient
2. Be more patient
3. Don't allow your patient controller to get out of controll
4. Stop, look back and have a beer!!

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote