THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Need machinist to make repro. Warne [i]Premier[/i] rings

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need machinist to make repro. Warne [i]Premier[/i] rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
I've got a custom made (PLHolehan) 416 Rigby with built up square bridges dovetailed for the old Warne Premier Rings. I've got a set of 1in, but would like 30mm rings.

I can't seem to find any of the old Warne Premiere (3/8 dovetail) rings, let alone the 30mm QDs.

I've got a set of the new Maxima rings (med height), which are too wide. However, they have enough metal in the "stems" that (looks to me as if it) can be machined down to fit the bases: i.e. the 1in rings I've got fit inside the Maxima bases. If not, no doubt the high Maximas can definitely be machined down to the 3/8 dovetail.

Any help would be appreciated.

And yes, I keep on trying E-Bay.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I may have a source for a pair of 30mm for you. Send me an email to wberger70@hotmail.com

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if M1's deal does not pan out, call Shane Thompson at 208-547-0383.

How far off are they from Talley rings? It may be easier to have the bases remachined.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Have you tried calling Warne? It seems to me they sold most of their premier rings to a gunshop in San Jose, California when they closed them out, and should be able to give you the shop's name.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Warne doesn't have them. They told me of the shop, but they thought those had all been sold out as well.

William E-mail sent. Haven't called Shane...yet.

Thanks guys, but keep the responses flowing....

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I bought the last 2 sets that Shane had while I was visiting him at Christmas time. But I have no doubt Shane could make you a new pair that would fit.

William Berger

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not know Shane had nay original Warnes. He makes the best shop-made rings I have seen. I like all of his work-both wood and metal.

If push comes to shove, I am pretty sure that the feet on the old Warnes are wider and longer than Talleys, so you could have the bases cut down. Would require rebluing the reciever.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
The Warne Premier rings use a 3/8" dovetail and teh Talley a 1/2". I suppose a set of Talleys coul have the dovetail tigged up a bit and re-cut to 3/8". That would probably be the cheapest route if a set of 30mm Warnes can not be found.

William Berger

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Update.

I bought the last three from Costello's. One med S/S (can be tefloned), and two "highs."

High Tech did not have any other than the Sakos.

Thanks, but keep the other possibilities coming. I'm having a 375 H&H being built as we speak and I've told my smith to find some Premier bases so I may have scopes that can be interchanged b/w the Rigby and the H&H, inculding backups for both.