Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LH Win 70 WSM to standard caliber
 Login/Join

posted
I have several Winchester Model 70 rifles in WSM calibers (300wsm,270wsm).

I would like to have one of them built into a standard 308 based caliber (6.5CM,308W etc).

Is this feasible ? Anyone know a gunsmith willing or able to do the work ?

I'm not looking for an exhibition grade build. Just a good quality, accurate , traditional style wood stocked hunting rifle.

thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Coast, Ca | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
300wsm

The bolt face diameter and possibly the feed rails are going to be a problem with the -08 cases. I can't recall but I suspect that those receivers are short actions and won't take a standard belted mag which rules out that angle as well.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Youre right.

I should have included that. I do know that the bolt face would have to be changed. The WSM caliber cartridge base/rims are definitely larger then the 308 family.

I am assuming the action itself is a short action.

Posts: 6 | Location: Central Coast, Ca | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
you are correct in thinking that they are short actions.... I have 3, 1 is a rebarrelled 223 that is now a .17 fireball.... #2 is a .22-250, and #3 is a .243... bolts will interchange as long as its a short action bolt.. the only difference is boltface dimension... the magazine box, ejector, and follower are specific to caliber... mag box top is tapered and act as the "feed rails"..its a sheet metal box with or without spacer....and the actions are the same regardless of caliber.... whether its a .223 up to the wsm's....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I don't see how it would work. going the other way though I have long been interested in a 35Sambar. 358 Norma Magnum performance from the wsm case. 250 at 2700 is quite a package. for that matter a 338 wsm or even a 9.3 wsm might be interesting and a lot less expensive.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
would require a bolt to go to 308.and barrel and mag and follower - way cheaper to sell wsm and buy 308

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I had a 300 WSM re-barreled to a 300 RSAUM and ended up with a very accurate Rifle.
We also made a 416 WSM from a 300 WSM with good results.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sell your rifle and buy what you want or get a correct donor action and have one built. That will save you money and headache.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luckyducker:
Sell your rifle and buy what you want or get a correct donor action and have one built. That will save you money and headache.

Occam's razor always applies !

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
you are correct in thinking that they are short actions.... I have 3

Do you mind me asking who did the work ?

I appreciate all the responses. So far unless my internet skills aren't up to par , I haven't been able to find a left handed short action factory Winchester short action. The occasional long action and magnum , but no short actions that might have a standard bolt face.

Being left handed obviously complicates matters. Which is why I had hoped to convert one of the LH WSM's that I already have.

posted Hide Post
There were no left-hand 'short-action' (e.g., .243 Win., .308 Win.) Winchesters made for the retail market.

You can have the WSM bolt-faces bushed from .535" to accommodate the more common .473" or smaller case heads. The extractor will need work, too.

You can get a new barrel and install another follower, but the rails will have to be worked to feed the new round.

You may find it quite expensive in the end.

Are you looking for more economical cartridges to shoot, or do you just find the WSMs excessive for your needs?

If the former, just buy different guns and sell the WSMs; if the latter, load the cartridges down to approximate the .30-06 and .270 respectively.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The majority of my hunting is here in California. There isn't any game that REALLY needs a WSM.

I appreciate the information. Its pretty clear that I should either go full custom or move on to another brand.

I have several other left handed rifles ( remington, savage, weatherby )and there isnt anything wrong with them. Ive just always been more attracted to the Winchester model 70.

thank you all for your knowledge.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
please allow me to clarify my statement... when I said I have 3 short action Winchester model 70's, they are all right hand.... Winchester's "feed rails" aren't like a mauser or springfield... the rails under the bolt are all the same, regardless of caliber.. the removable, sheetmetal magazine box creates the "feed rails"... not the steel action of the receiver... I looked on ebay yesterday.. there were several model 70 bolts available for under $100... stripped.... you could reuse your firing pin, spring, cocking piece, and basically change the bolt... there were several barrels in smaller calibers, .243, 308 also on ebay ... I bought my .22-250 from collector's firearms in Houston about 7 yrs ago for $600... the .17 fireball or 17 mach IV, is a rebarrel that I got at a gun show in trade for about $550... I bought the .243 a couple months ago in Austin tx from mcbrides for under $400... I sell at gun shows here in texas,,, trade, buy, sell.... I see the short action guns in the wsm calibers for under $500 all the time, I haven't been interested enough in them to buy one, and they don't resell well....if you are interested in a short action Winchester in a smaller caliber, i'll be glad to help in your search... my best, jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you asked for chicken and I'm feeding you steak but you could do what I did for my youngest daughter who is a lefty.
I bought her a Win 70 LH 300 WSM and loaded minimum loads with Barnes 130 TSX bullets. It shoots like a champ and had "standard" cartridge performance. It's a deer killer!
When she switches to elk, I have some full throttle 150 TTSX loaded and she never knows the difference (I sight it in for her).
Works like a charm.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My LH .308 Winchester was built on a standard length (long) action. It works perfectly, although there is the .5" difference in the length of the bolt throw. Since I am used to pre-64 Model 70 actions, which were all the same length, this has never been a problem. Getting used to shooting left handed after a lifetime of shooting right handed IS a problem, but defective vision in my right eye leaves me no choice.

posted Hide Post
I will investigate the down loading option. It sounds like the best option at the moment. So far Ive just shot factory ammo. But do reload for several other calibers.

My primary hunting rifle is a Rem700 in 30-06 I had built by LRI. Great rifle, nothing wrong with it or the caliber at all.

Im just really wanting to use one of my Winchesters and would prefer a short action in a standard caliber. Most of my bolt gun shooting has been with short action rem rifles and I just prefer the shorter length of throw.

Being left handed complicates matters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like the Model 70 style Rifle why not go to a short action Montana Rifle Company rifle in left hand? According to their website they are available in 6.5 Creedmore and .308 Winnie.

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=149

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lindy2:
If you like the Model 70 style Rifle why not go to a short action Montana Rifle Company rifle in left hand? According to their website they are available in 6.5 Creedmore and .308 Winnie.

Ive looked into those in the past and spoke to them at SHOT a couple times. That may be an option for a future full custom build plan.

At this point that may be what I will do. I was just exploring the option of a partial build on actions I already possess.