Find
Notify
Tools

A few pics of the new baby
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
Still in the works but getting there, pics are really poor since I'm in the middle of finishing my garage interior and can't get to my photo bench. Here I wetted it down a little to show the grain.

Garret Accuracy barrelled action, stainless barrel (something less than a #1 Shilen), nickle plated Swedish Large Ring Mauser action.

Stock pattern by our own Jeffeoso. I wound up sanding the forearm down quite a bit to get it to look somewhat right with the very light barrel, also took off the little arrow shape at the front of the cheekpiece. Sent ot off to Norman Myers in Georgia after I got scared of the inletting. I did make one mistake that Norman couldn't fix, took a little too much off at the bolt release, oh well, the next one will be better. Norman finished the inletting, full lenght bedded the action and barrel, added a red Decellerator and nickle sling studs and engne turned the bolt.

Now I'll finish sand to 400 grit, oil finish and then off for some checkering.

Forgot to mention, it's in 7x64 Brenneke because I need something that fit between my 275 Rigby and a 308 Win.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really Nice, Browningguy.

flaco

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
VERY nice!!! i like that alot!!!

man, that wood looks good!!

I am going to talk with a checkering man this week, will let you know how it turns out.

btw,
have a look at the express i just was working on today.

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39573 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help and cutting the stock. The Express is looking good, but 700 grains at 2130 will put an ass whupin' on a normal guy.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
browningguy,

Looks good so far. thumb
Looking foreward to seeing it all dressed up.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browningguy, looks good. Are those conetrol bases? Is the rear front base hole a blind hole?

I like those Husqvarnas!

Jeff, which pattern is that one?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
She's a beaut, Jeff! Very nice sir!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
I put those other blanks up in the attic last night.. should be ready in a couple months

GSP,
that's was one with the "lightening bolt" on the front end, and Jeff has done a lot of work cleaning it up for that AMAZINGLY thin barrel

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39573 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
GSP7, yes, they are Conetrol bases. I've never used them before but they came with the barrelled action.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

one of us
posted Hide Post
browningguy-

She is a beauty. Would you be so kind as to tell us a bit more about the action. The action looks like a FN and has a Model 70 type safety (2 or 3 position?).

I thought Swedish actions were based off the '96 action or a variant thereof the '38.

I know you are a proud dad as you should be. Congratulations.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30 cal mag fan,, here ya go http://www.pettsons.net/m640.html

I have 2 640s. They are FNs and have the charger hump and slot removed. 1951 vintage

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browningguy & GSP-

Where can a guy find one of these 640's? Is there an outlet for them somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browninguy,

Way to go, nice.

Tell me about the action, not sure I understand

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking gun on a great action, Browninguy. Just for the record, not all 640s are on the FN 98 action, This is a 1948-49 8MM on the M 94 as manufactured by Husqvarna for higher pressure rounds. Notice that not only is the thumb cut missing but the entire left side is left high. Stiffer? Maybe. Not as pretty to my eye but as well made and finished as well as anything Husqvarna turned out.

[

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
nickle plated Swedish Large Ring Mauser action.

What? shame shame How could you... I saw nickle plated Oberndorf a few years ago and sincerely hope the criminal is found bawling bawling bawling

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate, Wow ,Wait a minute!! What do you have there??? I have never seen one of those. My understanding and the pictures ive seen were those 640s were made on extra left over m38 actions (same as a 96 or 94). I have not seen a m38 640 in person or detail and havent noticed that.

Could the left side of that have been welded up to repair side base mount holes?

Lets see some more detailed pictures of that puppy?

Rick

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The serial # is 890xxx. I have some crappy pictures I'll put up for now but tomorrow I'll try to it justice. This has a typical milyary bottom metal and a beech 640 stock, barrel band and ramp front. The only thing different is the action. This is technically a 648.

It's identical to the one on "GUNBOARDS" under "What kind of Husky is this?".

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
great looking rifle !

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tiggertate , thanks for the pix . I didnt know the side was like that. Ive seen the ones Sarco has, but no detailed pictures. That must be a 8x57.

Rick

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
OK,first off, I didn't nickle plate the action, it came that way and I'm too cheap to have it removed. But if I do have it removed later I'll have KG Gunkote put on the whole thing. I really don't know much about these actions, no thumb cut, and doesn't appear to ever had a charging hump. It had a Timney trigger and a 3 position safety installed when I bought it. The only markings left on the action from polishing are the Swedish crest on top and 7903 B, apparantly a serial number, on the bottom.

Did anyone notice the two little screws on the right rear of the action? Maybe these were for a peep sight?

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
Browningguy & GSP-

Where can a guy find one of these 640's? Is there an outlet for them somewhere?

30 cal mag guy,,, No outlet for them . I found one at a at a gun shop and one off gunbroker. They are nice rifles. I dont know what Garret Accuracy is. Maybe they just happened to have a husky 98 reciever..??

They are FN actions. These Husqvarna's had the serial numbers marked on the barrel not on the reciever.The Only markings on the action was the swedish crest and the word sweden. The number on the bottom by the recoil lug isnt the serial number.

Read up on Pettersons page posted above.

Rick

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Browninguy, they're really superb actions and I'm sure you'll love the way it shoots. Good break getting the Timney, too.

Yup, 8 MM.