New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Acc Rel build
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got some sad news.. My gunsmith tested the hardness of the BRNO ZG 47 receiver I planned to use for this build.. It was not soft like butter.. But close thumbdown
Well - an ele hunt closing in in 4 weeks and I just WANT to test this caliber, very determined if at all possible... Had to make a quick decision. I ordered a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan - that action is strong like hell. 375 Ruger close to 458 AccRel in dimensions so feeding would be easy to adjust. Only drawback was magasinecapacity... 3 down maximum. I ordered a custom bottommetal from Duane Wiebe for the BRNO - a coffin style floorplate and a capacity of 5 down... So it is very disappointing and difficult to accept only 3 down..
Well - the question is: I see tonight that 3 down is possible - but about 1-2mm space is lacking to get a fourth round chambered on top of that..., just cant get a 4 round over the 3 in the mag.
Any suggestions what can be done to give the needed space??? Not much , but significant. I just want a 3+1 capacity as the absolute minimum when going after DG. I will probably have a custom - coffin style- floorplate made later this year, but no time for it now... Just need to get this issue fixed asap...
Thanks..

Ulrik

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
order a spare mag box .. and window it like a rum .. you'll need a bit more than you think to get there, but it can be done ..

thanks for the dedication

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39665 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't care what it looks like, space the floorplate assembly down by putting two washers between it and the stock under each screw. I did this on a match rifle that needed to hold five down and it worked fine, but kinda looked funky.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Nice plan. Though the angle might make the geometry a bit tough

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to y all.. Appreciated. We will make a plan Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem solved..
Gunsmith filed the two "lips" on each side of the mag.spring on the Ruger floorplate AND split the mag box. He widened it to the desired diameter and welded it together in the new position. Now 3 down and 1 up is no problem at all. And feeding is perfect..

Now the barrel is send for QPQ treatment (nitride treatment) and rifle is ready to come home... Smiler

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
great.. post pics of the box!

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
will try later Jeffe.. Maybe I (or Anders Hatting) will forward them to you so you can post them here for me.. ok?

Ulrik

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi jeff
i have sanded the bottom metal
an opened the magazine box from 25,7mm to 26,5mm
that was enough to get the job 3+1 Wink

Be aware of the man with only "one" riffel

Posts: 51 | Location: denmark | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thank you! I shall be attempting the same, then!

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Anders, thank you..
Clever solution..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hatting Thanks for posting the photos. you gave me the nudge i needed to do my 458AccRl i also had to window my mag box. now will hold 3+1 WAHOO!!!!!! Just a little more polishing and look out deer here i come Thanks again Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey boys
has played with the front sight today, so it can be removed without using tools.
I have cut M 17x1 threaded for a silencer and used the threads to keep the front sight in place

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a real good solution to saving and using a barrel on a Winchester Boss!

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you will need a set screw and a "foot" for the set screw indicate on..
a silcener on a 458 Ar .. OH MY!

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
You r right - a set srew is needed - and planned..

Regarding the silencer - nice eh?? Will work as a silencer and recoil reducer for range use and plinking.. I will use a silencer from Norwegian A-Tec ( www.a-tec.no )

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
A silenced big bore 458 AR....I LIKE IT! Thats going to be one hell of a can on the end of an already heavty rifle.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brando:
A silenced big bore 458 AR....I LIKE IT! Thats going to be one hell of a can on the end of an already heavty rifle.

well... no actually...
Rifle will weigh 7,8 ibs only and silencer weighs 0.8 Ibs... So actually a lot lighther package than most standard 375`s... Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
The fireball on the end of a .458 AR using H335 (which has been best for me in this chambering) is very substantial.

Can probably needs to be VERY sturdy!!!

Interesting idea. Gotta say that I did not notice the noise when there was game under the cross hairs Big Grin

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
The fireball on the end of a .458 AR using H335 (which has been best for me in this chambering) is very substantial.

Can probably needs to be VERY sturdy!!!

It is!!! According to manufactorer it will hold up to a 458 Lott - no problems at all, so even though the 458 AR has a 5-10% bigger case volume than the Lott, that wont mean anything in practice...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have NEVER seem a Lott generate this kind of plume! Is pretty awesome.

When we fired it at the sight-in range at 7 am in RSA ... the PH and trackers were visibly surprised by the huge muzzle flash.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well - normally a huge muzzle flash has more to do with short barrel length and a too slow burning powder.. I am quite sure there is no big difference between the AR and the Lott if samme barrel length and same kind of powder is used..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi again
Today I have blueprintet the Ruger action, tuned the trigger from 3 kg to 1.4 kg + now it breaks like a piece of glass.
+ made the barrel + front sight ready for QPQ treatment

has also been mounted Leupold QR bases with peep hole dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice Hatting..
This will be a true working rifle.. - accurate, rugged, light and short. And powerful..
I will file the front sight adjusted to a 2300 fps load with the 500 grs Barnes Banded solid and the 500 grs Hornady DGS at around 30-50 yards distance..

Ulrik

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that rear scope base a factory piece or custom? I use these bases but I've never seen that flip up peep sight option before.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:
Is that rear scope base a factory piece or custom? I use these bases but I've never seen that flip up peep sight option before.

Nice eh??
Its custom.. Just milled into the rear base. Simple but very effective. Peep sight can be adjusted sideways and front sight must be filed to adjust vertically..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is going to look terrific mate tu2.

Paz

458AR & 500AR owner (yes it is done dancing )
12GFH in the pipeline(but not a real one, just a "mini one"!!
The single shot on fine and beautiful lines built by a master craftsman is indeed a gentleman's piece...
Colonel Townsend Whelen

Posts: 105 | Location: N.S.W. Australia | Registered: 05 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
quote:
Originally posted by gzig5:

Nice eh??
Its custom.. Just milled into the rear base. Simple but very effective. Peep sight can be adjusted sideways and front sight must be filed to adjust vertically..

Yes, it is very nice. I need to see if the rear base on my Rem700 has enough material available to do that. That Ruger base looks taller.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
You r right - a set srew is needed - and planned..

Regarding the silencer - nice eh?? Will work as a silencer and recoil reducer for range use and plinking.. I will use a silencer from Norwegian A-Tec ( www.a-tec.no )

Since when has it been legal to own or use silencers in Denmark Wink
Hopfully the one intended is not a TMM5, as there has been some pretty interesting cases in Norway, with those versions lately.

BTW tell mr Hatting not to remove materials from the ramp, on this action Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
its a TMM4, should work fine..
Will be kept and used in Norway only

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:

Why do you mention that???
The Ruger action is strong like few others.. Lots of safety margin.
But well - no need to remove steel from the ramp at all.. Adjusting feeding was mainly a question about changing the mag box.. Only work to do on feed ramp was some polishing to make FN solids feed flawlessly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:

Why do you mention that???
The Ruger action is strong like few others.. Lots of safety margin.
But well - no need to remove steel from the ramp at all.. Adjusting feeding was mainly a question about changing the mag box.. Only work to do on feed ramp was some polishing to make FN solids feed flawlessly

Just putting a little heat on him for the zg 47 Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
I just had a thought about the magazine box

I didn't realise cutting open at the back would work ?

Like the RUM cases I would have thought you would need to cut the front of the box down the middle and open it up 60 to 80 thou and reweld then shave a little off either side bottem front of the action to allow for the slightly wider box at the front!

I say this because the real difference is at the shoulders of the AccRel case not so much at the rear.

But hey if it works from the back why not it's a lot easier and no windows either

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep S&F - a lot easier and it just works..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
quote:
I just got some sad news.. My gunsmith tested the hardness of the BRNO ZG 47 receiver I planned to use for this build.. It was not soft like butter.. But close

I would sure like to know more about the ZG 47 softness - who tested it? what were the exact results? when was it mfg? any unusual condition?
Not trying to start a disagreement, but your experience is contrary to everything I have read. Thanks.

Well dont know.. Just know that he got worried when he was adjusting feeding on the feed ramp, - it was soft - soft - soft...
Its also contrary to my previous experience/knowlegde about the ZG 47`s. But we didnt want to take it further because of the softness on this particular action. The Ruger is solid and I will live well with that choice. The ZG was just very slick and nice.. And the bottom metal from Duane was awesome.. Thats a pity really...

Ulrik

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe or anyone else with 458AR experience -- can you suggest a sensible starting load with Norma 203B powder (about the same as Reloader 15)?? I am using Barnes Banded Solids 500 grs and will also be trying the 500 grs Hornady DGS..

I have a friend who load his 458 Lott with 82 grs Rel 15 behind the Barnes solid giving 2275 fps.. That might be an ok load? After all the Lott has 5-8 % lesser casevolume..
I might start with 80 grs though, better safe than sorry...
Any suggestions please..?

one of us
posted Hide Post
RL 15 is too slow a powder for the .458 AR I think.

Mike

--------------

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
rel15 is too slow .. h335 is the best powder i've seen for it, though ih4895 isn't bad ..

what other powders you got?

i only used "lott data" for starting loads

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi
here is a few pictures of the beast

One of Us
posted Hide Post
year Hatting - it looks nice.. Except I need a MCM stock for it.. I know it is ordered already, just have to wait for it... Dont think MCM stock will arrive before I leave the 24. this month. Will have to live with the Hogue OR switch to the MCM stock on my 375 Ruger Alaskan Smiler

Jeffe - I might try Norma 202 or VVN 540 which is faster than N 203B

<But I see that Michael McCourry also used excactly 82 grs Rel 15 in his 458 Lott for 2260 fps with the 500 grs Barnes solids. And if you take a look on the reloading pages on accurate reloading.com under the 450 Vincent Short (quite similar or a bit smaller compared to the 458 AccRel) then rel 15 is used with succes. Though I must admit their loadings seems quite hot.....