Notify
Tools

Carbon fiber wrapped barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
What's the straight skinny on these?
I'm looking for a lighter weight alternative to the traditional heavy bull barrel.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Mine is on a 10/22 and I can't say enough good things about it. OTOH, I have not been attracted to the centerfires because the profile is so awkward. A matter of pesonal preference I suppose.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete

I have a 7mm mag. with a titanium action, a carbon fiber barrel and one of those stupid plastic stocks. It weights 6.5 pounds with scope and 3 rounds of ammo in it. I love it myself, but it kicks like a mule.(I've shot 375 HH at 10 lb. and it didn't have as much recoil.) The rifle was put togehter by Christianson Arms in Utah. I have found that for me to be accurate with the rifle I have to push with one hand and pull with the other in the free hand positon, this also helps with recoil. It takes a while to get used to, but I shure do enjoy taking a hike with it. Oh yes, It shoots less than one inch groups at 100 yds if I am having a good day. My wife ordered it for me when some doctor told me I would not walk again after an industrial accident. I guess my "up yours" reply to the doctor made up her mind. I looked at it in my gun safe for a long time before I could even pick it up. Try one at cabelas tosee if you like it. It is an acquired taste that some people cannot get used to.

Nice doesn't mean weak.

Posts: 74 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Pete,
well, you found a way for a lighter barrel, but i think it's the most expensive way.

what round/gun are you trying to do? These barrels were offered in a LIMITED range of caliber, iirc.

the barrel itself is shaped like an H, but the crossbar is the barrel, and the carbon fiber is used both as reinforcement (does a great job) AND heat disipation.. again, bang up job, at the cost of having a large profile barrel that doesn't have the benefit of weight to help you with recoil

i think browning had a run of these, right?

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Zippy,
damn glad to hear your UP YOURS story... i fell, crushed a vert and 2 disks... and after 10 years of trying, can touch my toes and shoot big bores... all but one doc thought I would be good to walk...

goes to show you, you can over educate a limited mind

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any use for the carbon wrapped barrels. They actually HOLD heat in the barrel, making it easier to fry the steel portion quicker. The carbon is a good insulator and will feel cool to the touch. That is because heat is being held in the steel insert. For a big game rifle which is no tshot that often, it will not matter as much. But it is terrible for a barrel that will see a lot of rounds shot through it.

I would go with the lightest countour that Lilja makes. Other brands of barrels are good, I am referring to the contour here (but i do love Liljas!).

THe main thing is keep going hunting and shooting! I am recouperating from my 15th operation. It looks like my gun making days are over, but i will find a way to keep hunting. I have the Bob DOle thing going-I can walk fine but can't use my arms due to nerve damage. My right thumb works quite well, and often the right trigger finger. My left hand is usable almost every day. It is a good thing I was always abidextrous. Writing is the only thing I have trouble with left handed. Have not figured out how to shoot a rifle yet, as I don't really have enough control with my right hand to shoot right handed, and my right arm is too weak to support a rifle when shooting left handed. But I gurantee you I will find a way! I just have to focus on getting back out on the hill.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Zippy
I'm putting this carbon wrapped barrel on an AR10, sems Armalite found a good deal on an over run of rail road axels, bored and rifled them.
7.62 does not have much recoil.
When I feel the need for a little recoil I break out the Winchester 95 in 405.Fulfills my recoil need real fast.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not so sure that the carbon holds heat in the barrel in the manner that Marc states. I remember reading somewhere that there is a great variation in the kinds of carbon and their thermal efficiencies. Best give Christensen a call and they will explain it. I spoke to them at SCI Reno,they were very helpfull with questions.
I asked what the carbon does for accuracy.They said that if you have agun that shoots say .5 moa for 5shots then goes to 1.5 moa for 10 shots,then wrap it in carbon,the carbon will not necessarily (not that it wont)improve the 5shot group capability of the original barrel that much,but will contain the 10 shot group to much less than 1.5moa. In other words it maintains more cosistent accuracy over a larger number of shots. Give them a call to get it from the horses mouth.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Jeff
Something else that crossed my mind was to use light weight target contour with real deep fluting. I would achieve my lightening up and increase the cooling effect.
Some of our toasty Virginia Sunday afternoons make for a long cooling period after firing ten rounds in rapid order. I try to preserve the barrel by not heating up too much.
Jim

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Marc,
I agree with you on the heat issue. That carbon fiber wrap has got to hold heat in.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
This is what the Christensen Arms' FAQ says about heat:

Q: What is the barrel life?
A: Carbon barrels add a approximately 25% longer life to any barrel it is applied to. Independent tests show that the carbon wrap keeps the underlying steel layer approximately 25% cooler than a normal steel barrel, which in turn adds to the life of the barrel.

Of course, they are in the business so caveat emptor.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Marc,
not to be disageeable... the "cold heat" soldering iron is a graphit pile.. it's basically "pure" carbon, in a crystal.. and (other than being remarkably fragile) is cool from ~600 to touchable in seconds.

carbon can be electrical insulator which is why the cold heat solder works, . but it does give up heat in fact, it's thermal conductivity ranges from 119-165(graphite) to 900-2300 diamond.. steel is 50ish...

thermal conducticity is the rate (in watts/per meter*kelvin) that it gives up heat, and higher gives heat up faster. so even the worst carbon form is several times faster than steel

I aint brilliant or can remember all this.. here's a great link for this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity

jeffe

476AR,