New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 rem rechamber/rebarrel question
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I'm thinking about a rebarrel project for an Oberndorf action I have, and for long and complicated reasons I'm thinking about doing a version of the 45 ACP conversion only chambering in 41 Rem Mag instead.

I'm wondering if a take off barrel could be used. Unfortunately, every dimension on the 416 is larger than the 0.434 that is the OD of the round so the barrel would have to be cut off about 3.25" from the breech.

Is there a factory contour barrel somewhere that would allow this and still have enough diameter (1.1") to thread into a mauser action?

Thanks!

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Mark
an AB 416 barrel is cheap!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Yep I know, $80 but where is the challenge in that? Big Grin

I suspect I'll have to do that anyway unless there is a bull barrel 416 take off out there but thought I'd ask about contours while I was thinking about it.

Gonna give me a hard time for making the reamer too? rotflmo

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just at any factory barrel is going to be right at the edge.. the shoulder is going to be the sticky wicket on that .. but, you PROBABLY can get away with it .. make the reamer? sure.. heck, a 41 mag is just a boring bar setup, anyway Smiler

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39661 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
just at any factory barrel is going to be right at the edge.. the shoulder is going to be the sticky wicket on that ..
Thats what I was thinking might happen. I suppose a person could get crafty and turn a collar (a sort of prettier savage barrel nut) but then it changes from a scrounging project to a frankenstein contraption.

but, you PROBABLY can get away with it .. make the reamer? sure.. heck, a 41 mag is just a boring bar setup, anyway
Smiler
A boring bar slips too much in the Makita chuck! <G>

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have an action picked out but a small ring might be better for what you plan?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Tigger,

That is pretty much the situation. Basically I've had a pitted 1904 Oberndorf action laying around for a long time waiting for me to figure out what to do with it.
It's pitted enough that I'd rather not use it for a high pressure cartridge. I'm planning on smoothing the surface with epoxy and giving it the Gunkote treatment and I think it will come out pretty nice.

Reading the various threads on 45ACP conversions got me interested in that direction but I think a 41 magnum would be a more versatile cartridge and a bit unique too. Anyway, was wondering if a take-off 416 barrel might work but since I don't have one to measure thought I'd post up the question (as they say, advice is what you ask for when you already know the answer but don't like it!).

If I ever have a small-ring land in my lap I'll revisit the take-off barrel idea again, but using this action I think Jeffe's A&B suggestion is going the be the route taken.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .41 magnum uses a bullet that is nominally .410-.411". The .416 uses a, guess what, .416" bullet. Have you considered this difference and how it might affect your project?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I think he's going to epoxy-up the bullets and Gunkote them for max velocity rotflmo

Just kidding, Mark. I wish I had a cool idea but I'm not known for "cool". OTOH, 357 Maximum is equally unique and a .358 barrel might be easier to luck into. Or either the Dan Wesson 441 or 445 Supermag. A 404 Jeff barrel blank would shoot .429 bullets just fine if you set up the neck and throat right. Now all you need is a take-off 404 Jeff barrel. Piece o' cake!

Or, since cost is King, make a 416/Whatever you find/41 Magnum chamber insert. Load to 40,000 psi and jacketed pistol bullets ought to obdurate to .416 no problemo.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Of course the first thing to do would be see how .410 bullets work, then either enlarge a bullet mould a few thousandths or try swaging down .429 bullets. Both ways should work. I guess paper patching might be an option too but I'd probably go the cast bullet route.