THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here does chamber sleeving/low press.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
Any of our Smiths here do this? Looking at a rook rifle on .300 with a bad chamber. Bore might be ok, but want to find what I am getting into first. There could also be the possibility of reboring to maybe 38 special depending on bbl. diameter. Curious as to costs involved before making an offer! Thanks for any help or suggestions! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
OK, does anyone know who to recommend for a job like this?

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wholeheartedly recommend Glenn Fewless for this type of work. He's a retired toolmaker and a recently-admitted Guild member, and is also a splendid fellow on a personal level.

He's quite funny too, but as I hafta keep telling him, looks aren't everything!(VBG)

Glenn Fewless, you can find his contact info on the Guild site.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Do you want the chamber sleeved or the barrel rebored??

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the 300 Rook takes 0.300 bullets instead of 0.308.

If the bore is good, and bullets or moulds are available for that size, a simple rechamber to a slightly larger necked down pistol case would be my choice. The 327 Magnum should clean out a rough chamber, diameter and length, and a very slight necking would hold 0.300 bullets. The 38 case would work with more necking down.

Bruce

Posts: 217 | Location: SW WA | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
A rebore will cost about 250 all in.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Be kinda cool to rebore it to .455 to match your Webley!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I know the barrel will easily take a rebore to .357. I need to find out if they will deal on the gun based on worst case needing a rebore. I think the bore might be salvageable, hard to tell without a borescope. The chamber is way too rough, so the bore may not work out. I would have to buy it to find out. I wonder what besides 38 spl./ 357 mag would be good choices? I remember seeing one years ago that had been rechambered to a 375 bore, but it was a wildcat, I think, not a high pressure load. I don't really know much about what pressures a rook is made to handle. I would want to keep it a mild gun, like it was designed for. I never thought about 455, but I am open to any ideas you guys may have! Thanks for any and all input. Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Some other ideas might be 38-40 or 44-40, 41 Long Colt, maybe an older European 9MM or 10 MM? I suppose that would depend on ammo availability.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a #2 rolling block in 32 made into a
38 special. Now I am wondering what it is good for. Another one a #4 Rolling block was relinedto 22 Magnum. It is the best possible rifle for a woods loafer.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention the reboring, including gain twist, was done by; Freiscxhultz Gun Shop
700 Fairfield Station Road
Fairfield, PA 17320
The phone # I have, 717 642 6696
He is close to Gettysburg

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote