Notify
Tools

Rem 700 Sendero: Question...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
Dear Craftsmen,

The first upgrade was a trigger. I have been considering the Badger Ordnance recoil lug. My dilemma: There is only one local gunsmith in the area and he's only been to a couple of armorers courses so I don't consider him a craftsman as of yet. He went on that I didn't really need an oversized recoil lug or a bedding job on the Sendero. He stated the recoil lug was a good one and that the Sendero has an aluminum block in the stock. That part I knew, but felt that changing out the recoil lug would be a good investment for accuracy and stability for the rifle. What do you think? Should I change the recoil lug and have a bedding job done on this rifle?

I know he is overwhelmed with minor work so felt either it was out of his scope, didn't have the tools or it was the time.

Thanks
RenegadeRN

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
My opinion only but, unless I was going to completely "blueprint" the action, I'm with your'e local smith. The Remington factory lug is sufficient to maintain the stability of the barreled action in the stock. On the otherhand, if you are going to blueprint the action, you might as well put the thicker lug on it if it will give you the warm fuzzies. I have always taken the Remington factory lugs and surface ground them parallel, which minutely reduces their thickness, and re-used them. No accuracy issues there. Mind you, that if you only change the recoil lug, it will still require the barrel thread shank lengthened and possibly re-cut the chamber. I would only change out the lug if I were going to do a full-blown blueprinting of the rifle.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RenegadeRN:
...He went on that I didn't really need an oversized recoil lug or a bedding job on the Sendero. ...
That is exactly the kind of Gun Smith you need. He knows what he is talking about.

Once you "wear-out" 3-4 barrels on the rifle, then it "might be" a good investment.
---

How well does it shoot?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with the accuracy of the rifle now? You first should have a baseline on accuracy before you can determine what steps to take in order to cure a specific problem. Are you stringing your shots or some other anomaly? Are you shooting reloads, and if you are how much development have you done? Sendero's are well made from the factory so first thing to do is to determine how well the rifle shoots before considering changes.

That being said, lots of people "want" stuff because they perceive it to be better (I sometimes have done this) and sometimes just knowing they've got it gets them to perform better--a psychological thing. If that's the case the get all the bells and whistles regardless.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
OK...Thanx. I have a trained gunsmith that is about 60 miles from me. In fact his old gunsmithing instructor goes to him..LOL! I've seen some of his work and also had him do work for me before. He said the same thing, but I've read on a number of forums that people do this and I wondered what opinions were. If I ever wear out the 3-4 barrels then I will have him do the work.

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
all senderos have shilen barrels, from the factory. what is the accuracy issue on it?
jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38509 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would be better off to have the rifle bedded even though it has a bedding block. A professional bedding job will do more than a thicker surface ground recoil lug. JMHO.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
all senderos have shilen barrels, from the factory. what is the accuracy issue on it?
jeffe

Where did you get that little tidbit of information? This is the first I have ever heard of this? My barrel is obviously hammer forged like all other Remington M700 barrels. Mine is not a cut barrel, and I have never seen one with a cut barrel.

I am not from Missouri, but show me please.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I bedded mine is bisonite, and it works like a charm.

I really wish Badger made the same bases for the long action as they do for the short action with the recoil lugs on them.

I bed every rifle, then I can eliminate that factor from the top. Well everything that doesn't say Blaser!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
jeffe

My barrel is obviously hammer forged like all other Remington M700 barrels. Mine is not a cut barrel, and I have never seen one with a cut barrel.

Shilen barrels are not cut rifled. They are button rifled.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks for asking.

I heard that from Ed Shilen, directly, in person while visiting the shilen shop. when I inquired as to why there where so many sendero barrels in his shop
"we make all the remington sendero barrels"

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38509 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Hmm, must be why mine is a hummer! .368 5 shot groups 100 yards.

Bisonite bedding, tuned trigger!

Works for me

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe, Thanks for that info about the barrels - very interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
...lots of people "want" stuff because they perceive it to be better (I sometimes have done this) and sometimes just knowing they've got it gets them to perform better--a psychological thing. If that's the case the get all the bells and whistles regardless.
Excellent input. The mental aspect does make a difference. That is why I "waste" so much time fiddling around with my Reloads. A lot of what I do to those Cases would be extremely difficult to argue as a "measurable" benefit, but it all helps with the confidence.

Hey Renegade, How does the rifle shoot right now? Are you loading your own ammo?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted Hide Post
Well, not sure if it is wanting stuff because I percieve it is better? Although I've done that too. LOL! My lack of knowledge may have been somewhat at fault here. After reading a number of articles across the internet AND having experience with some rifles that wouldn't shoot I decided that a trigger job and bedding was in order. I've done that to a few of the rifles I've owned and it tightened up the groups tremendously.

I've only shot the rifle one time with 13 rounds out of it since owning it. [Something about my age AND my shoulder and a 300 Win Mag!] But as many have alluded to I need more face to stock time. I'm just trying to break the barrel in and get the rifle sighted in.

Yes, I reload. I try to gain an advantage that way. I posed a reloading question to the Reloading forum concerning shooting reloads prior to barrel breakin. I wondered since the barrel was not worked in as of yet what difference would reloads make. What if a particular reload shot poorly, but after barrel breakin it was a lot better? Hence would I be wasting my time?

SOOooo...to make the long story short I wanted to take all the mechanical aspects out of the equation. Mental aspects make ALL the difference in the world to most EVERYTHING in life. Since it is a production rifle I only wanted to accurize it.

Renegade

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RenegadeRN:
Well, not sure if it is wanting stuff because I percieve it is better? Although I've done that too. LOL! My lack of knowledge may have been somewhat at fault here. After reading a number of articles across the internet AND having experience with some rifles that wouldn't shoot I decided that a trigger job and bedding was in order. I've done that to a few of the rifles I've owned and it tightened up the groups tremendously.

I've only shot the rifle one time with 13 rounds out of it since owning it. [Something about my age AND my shoulder and a 300 Win Mag!] But as many have alluded to I need more face to stock time. I'm just trying to break the barrel in and get the rifle sighted in.

Yes, I reload. I try to gain an advantage that way. I posed a reloading question to the Reloading forum concerning shooting reloads prior to barrel breakin. I wondered since the barrel was not worked in as of yet what difference would reloads make. What if a particular reload shot poorly, but after barrel breakin it was a lot better? Hence would I be wasting my time?

SOOooo...to make the long story short I wanted to take all the mechanical aspects out of the equation. Mental aspects make ALL the difference in the world to most EVERYTHING in life. Since it is a production rifle I only wanted to accurize it.

Renegade

Outside of changing major components, the basic mechanical accuracy package addresses the bedding, trigger, crown, the scope and it's mounts. The oversized lug won't help the gun perform any better. Unless you develope bad habits, range time can help you overcome recoil related issues which should help your accuracy.

As far as breaking in the barrel, I tell my customers to make every round count. You can start checking loads right off the bat. Those loads that show promise during the "break in" period will most likely get better with time. Use the break in time to sort the good from the bad. Watch your pressures, the flinching and don't let the barrel get hot.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More excellent advice from Westpac.

By the way Renegade, since you do load your own, there is NO LAW that says every Cartridge must be loaded w-i-d-e open. You might want to consider cranking-back the 300WinMag to 30-06, 308Win, 300Sav or even 30-30 levels and "enjoy" the Trigger Time. You can always Throttle them back up to practice with anytime you want.

The rifle you have is "typically" very accurate just as it came from the factory. That is why I mentioned wearing out a few barrels prior to going through a lot of changes.
---

If you are interested in seeing massive herds of Deer, get a local MARINE to take you across the road which cuts through LeJeune after dark. Big Grin AMAZING!!!

Best of luck to you.