New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel touching the foreend on Ruger rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Normally rifles shoot better with barrel free floating. Why Ruger stocks touch the barrel at the foreend? On the instruction manual they say to avoid any removing of wood. Thanks.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
It seems that more of their rifles shoot acceptably well from the factory with this upward pressure point in the forend.

The Rugers have an odd action screw/recoil lug design that makes the action very finicky to properly bed. Those who have stuck it out and bedded the action and floated the barrel seem to get good results, but it sometimes takes several tries to find a bedding combination that works.

Several here have done it, but I am not one of them!

Welcome to AccurateReloading!
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good results bedding the action & floating the barrel, I believe when you read stuff like that in Ruger instructions or any manufactures instructions it's the same as when they say DO NOT ADJUST TRIGGER.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
SOME BARRELS shoot better free-floated; others shoot better with some degree of upward pressure on the barrel from the tip of the fore-end. As a rule the stiffer the barrel, the better it shoots free-floating. Long, light-weight relatively wispy barrels often require the dampening effect of some forend pressure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Normally rifles shoot better with barrel free floating. Why Ruger stocks touch the barrel at the foreend? On the instruction manual they say to avoid any removing of wood. Thanks.

Winchester is doing the same. IMHO its a good way for the factory to get acceptable accuracy to the public.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<holtz>
posted
I have no knowledge of the Mk II, but I can tell you for sure that the original 77 was designed with the stock applying 12 lbs of up pressure on the barrel.

Steve